Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 17th August 2009, 12:52   #106

tonrag sir. simply incredible is how i would describe the whole process. kudos to you and your team.

by the way, hows the car doing now, considering that the restoration happened in 2004?
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 13:47   #107
Senior - BHPian

A brilliant thread> Congratulations Tonrag for getting quality work done in such short a time frame. This will be every classic car owner's and restorers dream come true.

Particularly love the way the family helped out in this project. Kudos. You have set some standards of time management.

Congrats once again my friend.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 14:30   #108
Senior - BHPian

chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 16:21   #109

Amazing job of restoration. Just loved to read each and every part of your post sir.
No words to discribe
phanitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 18:00   #110

Hats off to you Tonrag for the restoration.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 18:19   #111

Great outcome Sir; All your hand made stuff i.e the dashboard painting, badges look amazing.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 18:32   #112

mind blowing sir , hats off to you
sumanth_mk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 20:58   #113
Senior - BHPian

an outstanding car. in such a short time, it's SUPERB.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 21:40   #114

Thank you very much for your appreciation and generous comments. I was lucky to have a good team to back me up. Those of you who have gone through a restoration will agree that chasing people to work on your car can be a horrendous experience. My own car, an MG TC, took 14 years to restore. Things had reached such a desperate stage that finally I had to learn a lot of skills myself, to finish the car. Sometimes there were hilarious results too; for instance, when I first did the wiring on a car, a Morris Minor, the windscreen wipers would work everytime I stepped on the brakes!

There have been lots of questions as to what is the current situation with the car. So the other day, I dropped in to the workshop to see my old friend. She had been brought out of storage in a closed shed for some work. Five years on, the interior looked good, though the outside was a little dusty and decorated by a prolific crow. The dashboard didnít look as bad as I thought! Her next outing will be next week, when the Chief Minister is expected to visit Tataguni estate. She runs smoothly and without fuss, as she is still lovingly tended by the team that brought her back to life.

I have written to the trust giving details of the few things that remain to bring her upto scratch and hope that they'll give me the green signal soon.
Attached Thumbnails
A lightning quick restoration - '48 Chevy Fleetmaster-zzj_dsc02996.jpg  

tonrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 22:41   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Some final remarks. It was a terrific experience, but I wouldn’t call this a 100 pointer restoration. There were corners that we cut. I still have to do a few more jobs,
I’m basically an amateur restorer and have a long way to go before I can achieve the standards that some others on this forum have reached. Still I hope I’ve been able to convey some of the learning and experience I gained on this very special car.
You are mistaken, sir!

I've been following your painstaking restoration of this car (which I'm sure anyone else would've taken, at the most, as a parts donor was it available to them!) the entire thread and I must say that for someone who undertakes the whole job on behalf of the government, and what with the constraints you'd faced then with the sourcing of parts etc. this is one AMAZING restoration!

I hope this also serves as an inspiration to the local chaps who've carried it out in the govt. workshop, for any future classic projects they might(?) stumble upon.

Like most of the others who've commented, I have not enough words to express my admiration of the work that you, your spouse and the entire team have put in!

I only hope the car continues to get far better attention as she deserves, than she did earlier, now that she's under care of the trust.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th August 2009 at 13:17. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 11:36   #116

The best I've read on this forum. Not only the restoration, but the quality of narration is superlative too. tonrag, you obviously set high standards in everything you do.

Please do touch base (if you wish, or even earlier) next time you head out to Delhi. It would be an honour to meet and talk with you.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 14:20   #117

Congratulations Tonrag, it is brilliant job accomplished by you and your family and all the team. It is real treat to read your detail description of restoration and pictures. It makes more interesting when your family also supports in your task. I had seen common in Hyd, the steel almirah makers were painting exactly like wooden finish.

I am eager to to see when you open its engine and overhaul and assemble back, you have already seen the thread of DKG superb Packard restoration work done earlier.

Wish you all the best and would love to hear more from you.

vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 15:11   #118
Senior - BHPian

The passion and the genuine love for automobiles stands out. Here is a job not for applause or awards but one done only because of the love for it.

I don't even qualify to comment on such a restoration. But what i read and saw gave me goosebumps.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 15:18   #119
Senior - BHPian

That was a very well written and objectively documented restoration. Great show and kudos to your patience and passion.
jyobeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 15:31   #120

A superb and tantamount effort by you and your team, to bring the Fleetmaster back to life from the dilapilated condition, it was in. The passion shows in every line that you have posted here and the experience gained is invaluable.

Kudos and hats off to you, may your tribe increase...

sats is offline   Reply With Quote