Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:52   #31
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 393
Thanked: 169 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Some more photographs of the car. The photo's were unfortunately taken in the evening when the car was being towed to the workshop of Saleem. I did not get a chance to take the photographs in broad day light from the point of the car being purchased to the time when the car was towed to Saleem
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 200947[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
HI Mate,

first of all congrats for the nice Option, post the pictures of further restoration.

i guess in this pictures there is a Moris(i guess) is the owner planning to sell or any clue, how much did you paid for your car.

Please let me know or PM i will get in touch with u.
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:08   #32
BHPian
 
Cyberdoctorind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 182
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Some More pictures while the car is being towed to the restoration place
Name:  IMG_6362.JPG
Views: 734
Size:  179.1 KB
Attached Images
  
Cyberdoctorind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:16   #33
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,332
Thanked: 1,542 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Some More pictures while the car is being towed to the restoration place
Interesting safari there. Whose is it, the mechanic's?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:17   #34
BHPian
 
Cyberdoctorind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 182
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
HI Mate,

first of all congrats for the nice Option, post the pictures of further restoration.

i guess in this pictures there is a Moris(i guess) is the owner planning to sell or any clue, how much did you paid for your car.

Please let me know or PM i will get in touch with u.
Thanks Racer for your wishes . The car in the background is Baby Hindustan and is for sale. I have seen the exterior of the car and I did not see any major rust spots. I have PM'ed you the details. I believe the seller telling me that there is a minor as well for sale.
Cyberdoctorind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:25   #35
BHPian
 
Cyberdoctorind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 182
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Interesting safari there. Whose is it, the mechanic's?
The contraception, I believe is or may not be safari. It has a diesel engine and all kinds of odd fittings. when enquired, the owner who is an associate of the painter told me that he has got the body modified
Cyberdoctorind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:42   #36
BHPian
 
Cyberdoctorind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 182
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Restoration Contd ...

With car safely with the mechanic, the first thing to do was to strip the engine and the mechanicals so the car could be towed to the painter. Did not get a chance to drive the car even once, thanks to the Drag scheduled in Hyderabad due to which the resident mechanic fully occupied

So not to waste time with the car idling around, I have asked the painter to pick up the car so that atleast the body work can start while we all can decide on the color that the car should be shod with. I personally prefer the shades of blue.

Pictures contd ..
With the mechanicals Stripped out

Name:  IMG_6367.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  187.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6380.JPG
Views: 730
Size:  243.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6381.JPG
Views: 767
Size:  233.8 KB

Car towed to the Painter's shop

Name:  IMG_6382.JPG
Views: 719
Size:  198.7 KB

The engine work should start in the next couple of days as well
Cyberdoctorind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:00   #37
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,332
Thanked: 1,542 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
The contraception, I believe is or may not be safari. It has a diesel engine and all kinds of odd fittings. when enquired, the owner who is an associate of the painter told me that he has got the body modified
OK. Well, that's a pity! Try to get that sunvisor for yourself though, that's an original fiat one.

BTW, um...'not meaning to be picky but the right word is actually contraption!

The word you typed has a totally different meaning, something to do with women!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:17   #38
BHPian
 
Cyberdoctorind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 182
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

The body work has started thankfully. The paint scrapping has started and I have seen that the original color to be whitish color. Name:  IMG_6387.JPG
Views: 705
Size:  199.8 KB

Are the holes in the floor above correct or should I get them closed? A big gaping hole in the transmission channel! What is the use of this one? I tend to believe that this might be a LHD car initially

Name:  IMG_6389.JPG
Views: 689
Size:  201.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6390.JPG
Views: 673
Size:  170.1 KB

The above 2 pictures show the car's original color to be a lighter white shade. I will post more photographs in the days to come as the body work is carried out.
Cyberdoctorind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:22   #39
BHPian
 
Cyberdoctorind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 182
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
OK. Well, that's a pity! Try to get that sunvisor for yourself though, that's an original fiat one.

BTW, um...'not meaning to be picky but the right word is actually contraption!

The word you typed has a totally different meaning, something to do with women!
Oops, I meant contraption. Thanks for correcting me sir . I have seen a 1100-103H in chennai, but the pity here was though the car bodyline was good, there was nothing which could be termed as original in the car
Cyberdoctorind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:23   #40
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,642
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Are the holes in the floor above correct or should I get them closed? A big gaping hole in the transmission channel! What is the use of this one? I tend to believe that this might be a LHD car initially
I remember seeing that big hole in my Padmini too. Was my Padmini too LHD?
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:27   #41
BHPian
 
MARCUS_520i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 522
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

@Stanher
Hahahaha!!!
However, it has a lot to do with both men and women!!

@Cyberdoctorind
Wow! Acquired just 2 days back and got it stripped down already!!
Perhaps, the thread should be renamed as "Yet another lightning quick restoration".
MARCUS_520i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:35   #42
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,626
Thanked: 8,079 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Are the holes in the floor above correct or should I get them closed? A big gaping hole in the transmission channel! What is the use of this one? I tend to believe that this might be a LHD car initially
Many mechanics would add that hole, makes access much easier. You will see this later crude hole on a majority of cars. Holes for pedal placement on the left is from the factory for all LHD/RHD cars, making it easier for their production.

Your car has a later date registration - does the RC book state the original number and state it came from?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:18   #43
BHPian
 
Cyberdoctorind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 182
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Many mechanics would add that hole, makes access much easier. You will see this later crude hole on a majority of cars. Holes for pedal placement on the left is from the factory for all LHD/RHD cars, making it easier for their production.

Your car has a later date registration - does the RC book state the original number and state it came from?
Karl, So is it fine, that I get the crude hole closed? I will leave the holes intact which come as default from the factory for all LHD/RHD cars. Unfortunately the RC book is history. The earlier owner got the car registration done without precaution and the book is lost for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100
I remember seeing that big hole in my Padmini too. Was my Padmini too LHD?
Well it might not be a bad idea to cast my car from RHD to LHD then

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i
Wow! Acquired just 2 days back and got it stripped down already!!
Perhaps, the thread should be renamed as "Yet another lightning quick restoration".
Marcus, I have purchased the car exactly 4 weeks ago and it was lying idle for good part of 3 weeks. So I am kind of getting things done in parallel to make up for the lost time
Cyberdoctorind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:30   #44
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,626
Thanked: 8,079 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Karl, So is it fine, that I get the crude hole closed? I will leave the holes intact which come as default from the factory for all LHD/RHD cars.
Confirm first with somebody more technically inclined. It may be a very practical alteration that is not visible at all, so you may want to retain it. It is to do with access to the gear box.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:00   #45
BHPian
 
adheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 526
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Confirm first with somebody more technically inclined. It may be a very practical alteration that is not visible at all, so you may want to retain it. It is to do with access to the gear box.
The huge hole on the transmission tunnel is for filling up the gearbox oil (The funnel pipe is routed through it while filling). In Padminis, it came from the factory with a flap which could be opened or closed attached with a single screw. You can also add the flap but please refrain from closing it permently.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 2nd October 2009 at 17:02.
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1957 Fiat Elegant - Restoration advice and help needed suren181 Post-War 232 23rd November 2016 18:47
Somanathapura: An Ancient Monumental Jewel in a Classic Fiat Elegant MM440 Travelogues 9 4th September 2014 22:41
Another weekend, yet another Hill Station - Yelagiri Mr.Boss Travelogues 7 2nd August 2014 23:02
Kolkata - 1957 Fiat Elegant FIAT'57'Kolkata Post-War 77 21st July 2014 10:51
MYB 2148 Fiat Elegant 1957 MM440 Post-War 15 9th June 2011 11:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks