Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 3rd March 2013, 00:14   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vespas and Vespas only

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Absolutely loved the Chetak.. What year is that? I would love to have one in my collection.. I picked up a complete trapezoidal handle bar assembly for chetak some time ago. Now i am waiting to get my hands on rest of the scooter..

Priyadarshan
Thanks Priyadarshan, yes indeed it is a awesome scooter, loved it at the first sight and decided it is mine. Regarding model it should be early 80's since the RC book is yet to come. I believe this is the last fleet of scooters to come with trapezoid handle later they have become round. Even I have another spare trapezoid handle bar with me taken from a Bajaj Super.

Fortunately I saw this punjabi beauty and simply loved its two tone color however not sure why is the silencer setup made like the one on a tractor may be punjab automobile lovers are obsessed with tractors or their silencers.
Attached Images

chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2013, 19:41   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Fortunately I saw this punjabi beauty and simply loved its two tone color however not sure why is the silencer setup made like the one on a tractor may be punjab automobile lovers are obsessed with tractors or their silencers.
Also note the 'artillery vehicle' tyres!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 23:04   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Priyadarshan, yes indeed it is a awesome scooter, loved it at the first sight and decided it is mine. Regarding model it should be early 80's since the RC book is yet to come. I believe this is the last fleet of scooters to come with trapezoid handle later they have become round. Even I have another spare trapezoid handle bar with me taken from a Bajaj Super.

I am not sure about dates but i have seen the trapezoidal headlight on scooters as late as 82. You have got a nice scooter there. I came across a 1977 Chetak at my mechanic's place last year, all original and trapezoidal headlight, and a cool number, but the owner kinda liked his scooter and didnt want to part with it.
The mechanic himself has a 1978 chetak, beautifully restored, which he says his father bought by paying USD in those days. He also has 2 pre-1960 vespas. And he doesnt sell any of it.

Priyadarshan
priyadarshan.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 02:10   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about dates but i have seen the trapezoidal headlight on scooters as late as 82. You have got a nice scooter there. I came across a 1977 Chetak at my mechanic's place last year, all original and trapezoidal headlight, and a cool number, but the owner kinda liked his scooter and didnt want to part with it.
The mechanic himself has a 1978 chetak, beautifully restored, which he says his father bought by paying USD in those days. He also has 2 pre-1960 vespas. And he doesnt sell any of it.

Priyadarshan
USD ? if the scooter was brought paying in USD then it must be an import model and that was the first electronic 12v scooter which had the bajaj super handle on a bajaj chetak with a ignition key on the handle bar and round turn indicators which is almost impossible to see now-a-days, can you post some pictures of it ?
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 09:25   #230
BHPian

Quote:
USD ? if the scooter was brought paying in USD then it must be an import model and that was the first electronic 12v scooter which had the bajaj super handle on a bajaj chetak with a ignition key on the handle bar and round turn indicators which is almost impossible to see now-a-days, can you post some pictures of it ?
I wish i had taken pictures of it when there was a chance. I am in US since almost a year so i dont know when i'll see the guy again. But from what i can recall, it had the chetak round headlamp (not the smaller super one), ignition switch below handlebar, just like vespas, and the smaller tail light with bracket (as on export models), aluminium trims all over. I am not sure if he changed the headlight sometime. He said he spent 7k just for paint. He restored it in the memory of his father so he would never sell it. It looked fabulous and runs brillint..
Old 5th March 2013, 18:00   #231
BHPian

Quote:
I wish i had taken pictures of it when there was a chance. I am in US since almost a year so i dont know when i'll see the guy again. But from what i can recall, it had the chetak round headlamp (not the smaller super one), ignition switch below handlebar, just like vespas, and the smaller tail light with bracket (as on export models), aluminium trims all over. I am not sure if he changed the headlight sometime. He said he spent 7k just for paint. He restored it in the memory of his father so he would never sell it. It looked fabulous and runs brillint..
Those were called the Bajaj Viking. I had one till 1996...http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif It was handed down by my grandfather who also paid USD. The ODO read in mph not kmph. Headlight came as standard round. There was also a high beam light indicator, side indicator and neutral indicator lamp on the head light body along with the ignition switch.
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 20:51   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Those were called the Bajaj Viking. I had one till 1996...http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif It was handed down by my grandfather who also paid USD. The ODO read in mph not kmph. Headlight came as standard round. There was also a high beam light indicator, side indicator and neutral indicator lamp on the head light body along with the ignition switch.
Dont tell me you got rid of it??
It would have been interesting to see one..
Old 5th March 2013, 22:23   #233
Senior - BHPian

This page has some reference to viking -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...s-only-14.html (Vespas and Vespas only)

Here esteem lover also talks about the vikin.
And then Kevin himself talk about the same

Now check at these links -
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic76082

and this one
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic51657

The second link has a orange scooter?? Is that a viking. Kevin can you confirm, looks exactly similar to you description.

Name:  bikepics_1371648_800jpg_697.jpg
Views: 4301
Size:  94.5 KB

(Image courtsey respective owners)
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2013, 19:17   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
This page has some reference to viking -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...s-only-14.html (Vespas and Vespas only)

Here esteem lover also talks about the vikin.
And then Kevin himself talk about the same. I spoke about it there too.

Now check at these links -
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic76082

and this one
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic51657

The second link has a orange scooter?? Is that a viking. Kevin can you confirm, looks exactly similar to you description.

Attachment 1058721

(Image courtsey respective owners)
It could be. The monogram used to say Bajaj Viking on the front. The indicators are period correct. The headlamp casing is period correct. The Tail light is correct. The seat is NOT correct. Mine had the two single seats, not what is shown in the picture. The Speedo dial was in Miles per hour NOT kmph.

And yes priyadarshan.b I did sell it. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif

Last edited by kevinephraim : 6th March 2013 at 19:19.
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 12:22   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
It could be. The monogram used to say Bajaj Viking on the front. The indicators are period correct. The headlamp casing is period correct. The Tail light is correct. The seat is NOT correct. Mine had the two single seats, not what is shown in the picture. The Speedo dial was in Miles per hour NOT kmph.

And yes priyadarshan.b I did sell it. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif
From the look, we can definitely say the seat is not original. The MPH speedo and the viking logo cannot be seen in the picture (may be present), you say the casing is correct then the Ignition switch and those lights are exactly what you had on your scooter.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 10:26   #236

Hi, sorry for the late entry, i wasn't aware that many others know about the Bajaj Viking. Here is mine, awaiting restoration due to time constraints. It is in perfect running condition though.

Vespas and Vespas only-p1030745.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-p1030746.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-p1030749.jpgthough.
Shelby_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 15:43   #237
BHPian

[quote=Shelby_Paul;3104121]Hi, sorry for the late entry, i wasn't aware that many others know about the Bajaj Viking. Here is mine, awaiting restoration due to time constraints. It is in perfect running condition though.

Hi

Those seem to be Roadking blinkers to me, please retain them after restoration as are rarely available these days.

Regards,
ranjit
jawabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2013, 16:53   #238
BHPian

Exclamation Bagged a Vespa!

It's been ages since my last post but im happy to announce that I have recently acquired a late 50's Vespa 150, that is in great condition but will undergo a full restoration soon!
So, I'm hoping I get all the Vespa gurus on board to help me with the process!

Pictures to follow soon!
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2013, 11:22   #239
BHPian

Exclamation The Wasp in need of some TLC!

The teal vespa caught my eye in the by-lanes of Nana-Peth, a bustling motor market in my home city of Pune! I waited for the owner to surface, asked him to name a price and after an exchange of phone numbers the deal was made and we split! Easy-as-pie! I met him at his house on the Ahmednagar-Pune road later that evening to hand over the cheque and collect the bike, papers and all!

The Last picture is my friend posing with it after we stripped all the ugly chrome pipe work, shoddy local storage box [with its pasties!] and the rear seat!
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-imgp2177.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-imgp2184.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-imgp2187.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-imgp2191.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-imgp2194.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-imgp2230.jpg  

Edmund is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 19:44   #240
BHPian

Default Re: The Wasp in need of some TLC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
The teal vespa caught my eye in the by-lanes of Nana-Peth, a bustling motor market in my home city of Pune! I waited for the owner to surface, asked him to name a price and after an exchange of phone numbers the deal was made and we split! Easy-as-pie! I met him at his house on the Ahmednagar-Pune road later that evening to hand over the cheque and collect the bike, papers and all!

The Last picture is my friend posing with it after we stripped all the ugly chrome pipe work, shoddy local storage box [with its pasties!] and the rear seat!
Congratulations man.. Nana Peth certainly has tresures like that. She is beautiful. What year is that? Early 1960s? Where are you restoring her?

Thanks,
Priyadarshan