Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 14:22   #256
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,415
Thanked: 671 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
You want to bang my head?? I am not your BOSS! You are banging your head again! I think you need some counselling about your car restoration.
Sorry for the typo error. I meant my head. By the way this is all symbolic.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 14:37   #257
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Just spoke to Nicco Engineering (dealers for Belzona), cold welding compound. The cost of compound is INR 7000 . Now replacement head is the only option.
Why all this? Isn't the head work done by the normal lathe shops enough? It will cost you maximum 2000rs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
By the way this is all symbolic.
I know its symbolic. Whatever the difficulty, be ing all the while! It will make your difficult task - easy.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 15:12   #258
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default

Hi Manish! When are you back in Bangy?

In case you are going to Mumbai for FIAT parts shopping, Arun1100 wants to give you the wheel caps, which Karlos wanted.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 21:29   #259
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,415
Thanked: 671 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Hi Manish! When are you back in Bangy?

In case you are going to Mumbai for FIAT parts shopping, Arun1100 wants to give you the wheel caps, which Karlos wanted.
I was in Bangalore on weekend. Will be back on friday. Shall we meet on saturday. I will be in Mumbai but not for parts shopping :O{. Need to talk to Karl on how to deliver them to him.

Also please give my headlight doom that you have along with the hubcaps .

Now for the updates. the work is progressing very slow with tinker busy on other jobs. He has welded the replacement dicky panel but is way beyond complete. I have given him an ulimatum of 10 days.

The radiator has been repared, but I am disappointed with the shaby work and insisted on rework.

In another devlopment gave the self and dynamo for reconditioning, hope they come out good.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06978.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06979.jpg
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 22:13   #260
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default

Hi Manish!

Whats the status of your Fiat?

Arun1100 recently told me that the tinker is waiting for long due payment and will continue with the work only after that.

As you are not happy with his work ( ) why don't you shift your Fiat to some other garage?
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 23:29   #261
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Hi Manish!


As you are not happy with his work ( ) why don't you shift your Fiat to some other garage?

What.....!

In this present day, a tinker working on a old car is extremely rare. Whatever money anyone is willing to offer, today's tinkers dread working on old cars. Wonder why.

I feel Nizaam bhai'sn work is a fair job (Not exceptional) but thats the way it is these days.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 05:49   #262
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Whatever money anyone is willing to offer, today's tinkers dread working on old cars. Wonder why.
This case is classic example saar. A experienced tinker like Nizaam Bhai can earn at least 2k to 3k daily, by working on new gen cars. Now this Select is there with him since two or three months and he has been paid 15k till now. Such delays will surely discourage him from working on old cars. ( )
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:01   #263
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,415
Thanked: 671 Times
Default

No new updates as I was busy with official work. The tinker is yet to do a lot of work, and I say a lot.

Mechanicals will start only when tinkering is done, same is with paint.

One the other note the original Fiat Dynamo and Self starter, require almost every thing to be changed / rewinded and extra 5 grand.

This weekend plant to shop for 1. Chassis 2. Fuel tank 3. Seat Bottoms from Scrapyard as all the three on my car are beyond repair. The original Fuel level gauge though is there, to be refurbished.

On the Engine side I am still looking for a good replacement Head, hope I find it or else would go with welding.

All the brightwork require some amount of tinkering before sending for Chrome plating and again they will be done once tinkering is over.

Restoring a car is real toughf guys especially when you yourself are an enthusiast and also have Job to do.

Also not to forget is the Hunt for a matching upholstry for my car.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:06   #264
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
No new updates as I was busy with official work. The tinker is yet to do a lot of work, and I say a lot.

Mechanicals will start only when tinkering is done, same is with paint.

One the other note the original Fiat Dynamo and Self starter, require almost every thing to be changed / rewinded and extra 5 grand.

This weekend plant to shop for 1. Chassis 2. Fuel tank 3. Seat Bottoms from Scrapyard as all the three on my car are beyond repair. The original Fuel level gauge though is there, to be refurbished.

On the Engine side I am still looking for a good replacement Head, hope I find it or else would go with welding.

All the brightwork require some amount of tinkering before sending for Chrome plating and again they will be done once tinkering is over.

Restoring a car is real toughf guys especially when you yourself are an enthusiast and also have Job to do.

Also not to forget is the Hunt for a matching upholstry for my car.
Sir..............!

One car and you say this
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 10:15   #265
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,415
Thanked: 671 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Sir..............!

One car and you say this
No it's not like that. If I had all the time to devote. 24x7, things would be much better but then you work for someone and like you we are not self employed .

Any way I have decided to take off tomorrow, could you please furnish me the contact infor of our lathe guy.

I thing I will recondition the same head. Apart from that I have all it needs to Build the Engine.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 20:56   #266
BHPian
 
Cyberdoctorind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 182
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
What.....!

In this present day, a tinker working on a old car is extremely rare. Whatever money anyone is willing to offer, today's tinkers dread working on old cars. Wonder why.

I feel Nizaam bhai'sn work is a fair job (Not exceptional) but thats the way it is these days.
It's very unfortunate but that's the stark truth about the tinkers. You pay tons of money / pay them very less and the situation is the same. My tinker tells me "Saab aap jaante hona mein aapke saamne last 3 mahine mey 300 car's denting kareke bheja aapke gaadi mein kaam karne keliye jabse liya"
Cyberdoctorind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 22:06   #267
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
No it's not like that. If I had all the time to devote. 24x7, things would be much better but then you work for someone and like you we are not self employed .

Any way I have decided to take off tomorrow, could you please furnish me the contact infor of our lathe guy.

I thing I will recondition the same head. Apart from that I have all it needs to Build the Engine.
You are treading the wrong path.

Call Mohan on 9880940576 (LATHE)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
It's very unfortunate but that's the stark truth about the tinkers. You pay tons of money / pay them very less and the situation is the same. My tinker tells me "Saab aap jaante hona mein aapke saamne last 3 mahine mey 300 car's denting kareke bheja aapke gaadi mein kaam karne keliye jabse liya"
Sad reality my friend.

But life and restorations has to move on, so, somehow getting a new broom to sweep every 2 years.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 08:45   #268
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,415
Thanked: 671 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
You are treading the wrong path.

Call Mohan on 9880940576 (LATHE)
What you mean by wrong path, I could not get you? Thanks for the contact info and I have the tail light for you, I think we meet up on saturday.

@Shiva: Aptly said.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 08:58   #269
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
What you mean by wrong path, I could not get you? Thanks for the contact info and I have the tail light for you, I think we meet up on saturday.

@Shiva: Aptly said.
Please find a different Head, else you need to your head if any other trouble surfaces after restoration.

Just because its ORIGINAL, does'nt make it that important if it affects functionability of your engine.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 15:43   #270
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default

I take the honor to post few pics of MPR as requested by Arun1100.
Attached Thumbnails
MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-sp_a0021.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-sp_a0022.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-sp_a0023.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-sp_a0024.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-sp_a0025.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-sp_a0026.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-sp_a0027.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-sp_a0028.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-sp_a0029.jpg  

funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restoration - 1963 Fiat 1100 Super Select karlosdeville Post-War 95 3rd June 2017 12:46
Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100! CAC444 Post-War 105 10th December 2016 01:13
Kolkata - 1959 Fiat Milicento / Select FIAT'57'Kolkata Post-War 48 4th September 2013 22:51
The MPR-999 is here! (Universal Learning Steering Remote Control ) frankmehta In-Car Entertainment 110 2nd April 2012 18:45
1959 Chevrolet Belair Restoration. junkmn Post-War 3 26th December 2010 12:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks