Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 19th February 2010, 15:42   #106
BHPian

the ugly duckling stage , wait for the swan guys !!!!!!
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0036.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0038.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0039.jpg  

Polly Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 21:49   #107
Senior - BHPian

Hey Polly, these are the essentials !!
We know she always was a swan - never an ugly duckling !!
On a more serious note, let me compliment you on an outstanding project, looking forward to seeing the final outcome - Brit brute at its best..
Cheers !
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 09:30   #108
BHPian

thanx super select, heres some more pics of the upholstery in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0181.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0180.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0183.jpg  

Old 21st February 2010, 14:13   #109
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if its a duckling or Swan however I know its going to be a looker, I felt its a good looking Rover when you started the restoration but never thought it could be done this best. Very eager to see the finished out come sir.

Did you have an intrest for Land Rovers? if so how did it all start I would love to hear it from you or it just happened to you and started to restore?

What all is pending on the Rover.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 22:10   #110
BHPian

well like i said before our generation was brought up on wild life movies with lots of land rovers in them the best being "Born free" and "Gods must be crazy", when i was posted in south africa i was swamped by them and managed to drive a few in the bush. some thing solid about them that cant be described!! then offcourse i saw this in a tin tin comic and that sealed it for me!!
Regards
Polly
Attached Images

Old 22nd February 2010, 11:12   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Singh View Post

Deviated greatly from stock by putting the fuse box under the dash as against the engine bay as i dont see myself stepping out into the pouring rain of a sudden 4 :30 PM Bangalore shower to open the bonnet and fiddle with the fuse box. Still have the original fuse box and could revert to original quite easily!!
Does this mean you're going to get her down here anytime soon? Fingers crossed!
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 01:44   #112
Senior - BHPian

Aha "gods must be crazy" my dad took me for this movie at Shalimar theater when I was in 5-6 class. Nice experience sir, I am sure you are going to relive the same experience which you had in southafrica very soon.

I am little confuse as we had hundreds of jeeps aka willys, jongas, toyotas etc came to India why not these jeeps. Why less number of Rovers in India and again as the new gen rovers are also for sale (which looks similar to the rover you have sir) I am not talking about the RANGE ROVERS I have seen it on Pak wheels forum why not they being purchased here in India is because people dont know or dont want to know?
Old 24th February 2010, 07:40   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Does this mean you're going to get her down here anytime soon? Fingers crossed!
Ultimately yes !! soon i hope
polly
Old 24th February 2010, 09:12   #114
BHPian

This is really a fantastic restoration job and Hats off to you for your patience, time and attention to detail. Wishing you all the best for the complete final outcome and eagerly awaiting the pictures.
AbdulRahmanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 08:40   #115
BHPian

well pilgrim's progress so far !! moving slowly but surely on the wiring !! and door trim. Once i got the original water temp, fuel gauge and oil warning to work the extra dash panel for PO fixed water temp and fuel gauge instruments had become redundant hence i modified that to take a new Amperehour meter and a hazard switch and windshield washer button. The engine bay is looking pretty crowded now !!had completely new diesel pipes fitted with crimping on all ends rather than using clamps that leak air in, and fitted a plastic bowl type water separator in lieu of glass original. Some modern safety measures are an auto cutout for the glow plug heaters (20 secs for this engine) and fitting a take off from the alternator for an RPM gauge in the cabin. also wired the glow plugs in parallel so that if one fails the others will still work !!

Cutting and rubbing the paint continues laboriously !!

Chanu during the second world war the british and the american prescence (mainly) in Eastern India brought in a very large number of Jeeps into India (the british had no vehicle of the same class hence the Land Rover was designed on the jeeo Chassis in 1948) in the lend-lease scheme ie; the british were lent-leased the jeeps (and several other eqpt-guns, tanks, trucks, ships, submarines and aircraft) by the Americans only for the period of the war. When the war ended, thousands were dumped in India rather than be returned to America by sea. These vehicles and guns and trucks and tanks and aircraft were quickly refurbished by the Indians (who had set up several factories for the same during the war especially in the Calcutta/Jamshedpur area (Tatas). Hence the proliferaton of Jeeps in the Indian Army which then went on to adopt the Nissan Patrol as its next 4X4 and built a version of it as the Jonga (as it looked a mix of the Jeep and the Tonga) at its Ordnance factories. By the time the land rover made its mark the 4X4 scene had already been swamped by thousands of free Jeeps and later Jongas and then the license produced Mahindra Jeeps, The Gypsy and Sumo were tried by the Army but were more or less failures in the off road scenario and were quickly relegated to static formations although the Gypsy is still preferred by the speciall forces as with its windshield down it fits neatly into an AN 32 tactical transport aircraft. Military Vehicle purchases (and hence design) today are being driven more by the Govts insistence on fuel economy (Mileage) than tactical ability, hence the Bullet gives way to the Hero Honda and the Shaktiman to the Allwyn Nissan/ Swaraj mazda and Tata new series trucks.

regards
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0198.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0210.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0218.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0192.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0215.jpg  

Old 27th February 2010, 08:46   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdulRahmanM View Post
This is really a fantastic restoration job and Hats off to you for your patience, time and attention to detail. Wishing you all the best for the complete final outcome and eagerly awaiting the pictures.
Thanx Abdul, it is becoming a bit stressfull now!1
Polly
Old 27th February 2010, 11:41   #117
Senior - BHPian

Thankyou so much for the detailed information sir, I am no good in technical details but feeling jelous by the details you are carriying out on your Rover having said that I feel this may be the only Land Rover which this much intrecasy and indepth work (in regards with performance and most important safety). I am learning many things silently with your restoration and thanks a ton for all what you are giving Sir.

Last edited by chanu : 27th February 2010 at 11:43.
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:32   #118
BHPian

Hi Polly,

A build from the heart. Read through 8 pages without even a loo break . The effort and the detailing to bring back the beast alive and as good as new for day to day usage is simply stupendous. Keeping my eyes peeled for the completion.

Superb thread, way to go Polly
sats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:52   #119
BHPian

thanx Sats
Could find only one bumper tow ring in the godowns of Darjeeling so fabricated a copy and then printed out some mud flap logos. Drove a bit, even as small fixes and polishing continue, found problems with the brakes and one of the leaf springs needs to be tigthened. Hope to have her home by weekend!!

Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0325.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_0331.jpg  

Old 11th March 2010, 14:17   #120

Wow looking good. Are you able to be out and about in it yet?
Chevelle Guy is offline   Reply With Quote