Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 4th June 2010, 22:30   #241
Senior - BHPian

Well I have seen many tinkers working with Brass, Infact my tinker (in my home town) used the same for all the body work. The Solder was used primarily by the radiator guys or for fuel tank welding.

In the pictures posted by shyam, which I circled was the Brass wire.

It is very rare that mechanics use Galvanised Iron sheet, not a local norm to use one. But that would not make the sheet heavy,galvanizing is a coating to prevent from rusting.

Sulphuric acid is a complete no no for metal. It corrodes like any thing. Whatever is used before welding is Flux.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 22:47   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Yes i still stick by that. The wire is not solder. Solder comes in chunks which needs to be held with a pair of pliers. I have highlighted it in my posts and quoted them above. Read them again and you would get it. He is using solder but the wire in the picture is not solder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
OK ok......now I got you- you meant he is using the METHOD of SOLDERING but not the COMPONENT/SUBSTANCE called 'SOLDER'. Did I get ya now??
How can he be using the method of soldering without using solder ? Sir he is using solder. The wires which we have seen in the pic is not solder but is of some other material. Get me know ??

Quote:
I mean galvanised metal is said to be a little heavier than the ungalvanised one. So wouldnt the added weight eventually weaken the strength of the welds in places like say, the floorpans, which are supported/held in place by the welds?
Yes it would have but then in the long run Galvanised metal would last longer if maintained properly.

Quote:
Yes, even I would've liked to see it! And by treatment, I mean nothing but the flooring made in brass I was talking about, thats all!
Ok got that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Well I have seen many tinkers working with Brass, Infact my tinker (in my home town) used the same for all the body work. The Solder was used primarily by the radiator guys or for fuel tank welding.
Correct and your body mechanic would be more experienced. We do lots of work with brass also. Specially items that are need to be chromed.

Quote:
In the pictures posted by shyam, which I circled was the Brass wire.
I think that is metal wire and not grass wire. Have a look at the pic again brass would be yellow and not silver/grey.

Quote:
It is very rare that mechanics use Galvanised Iron sheet, not a local norm to use one. But that would not make the sheet heavy,galvanizing is a coating to prevent from rusting.
The mechanics will do what you ask them to do and you have to have Vitamin M for that.Galvanized metal sheet is marginally heavier but is much better as its got an anti rust coating on it and if maintained well it will last longer.

Quote:
Whatever is used before welding is Flux.
Flux is only used before you use solder not for other types of welding.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 23:11   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How can he be using the method of soldering without using solder ? Sir he is using solder. The wires which we have seen in the pic is not solder but is of some other material. Get me know ??
Nope chief, I sure didnt!
This is getting beyond me I'm afraid! :(
Maybe I need to call it a day and re-read this tomorrow morning!

Quote:
The mechanics will do what you ask them to do and you have to have Vitamin M for that.
True, but if it were our own project and thus the Vitamin M ours, its a different issue altogether. And even so, not all mechanics would comply with everything you say, especially if you come from a field totally different to theirs. The older gen. types especially would have ego problems, 'experience' complex etc. And if you make an impression even inadvertently like you're a dictator/pushy type with them, they could even give up on your project, Vitamin M or no Vitamin M! And ironically, they would be the only ones available in your area/region who are experienced with your (our) kind of cars! So you'd be left high and dry! It's not like a modern car workshop where if you find this guy and your ideas dont gel, you can immediately drive off to find another like just 5-6 km away. Its not just getting the job done that comes into play here, even the relationship between the restorer/garage and the owner/customer matters.
It doesnt mean that, in my case, I just let the garage guys do whatever they see fit, if I find/I myself know something beneficial that can be added, I am usually frank in suggesting it to them, and I can say that very often I have succeeded. If not, I dont stop with a 'no', but always ask as to why it cant be done, feasibility factors from THEIR point of view, and if it can be done in future in case of a different vehicle. And when it is possible to implement, they might resent it a bit mainly because of reasons I mentioned above, but I make up in turn by not being bossy, arrogant, demanding, showing that I understand/respect their experience (if they really do have it), make them feel appreciated and that I have empathy for them.

'nuff digression I guess!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 23:29   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope chief, I sure didnt!
This is getting beyond me I'm afraid! :(
Maybe I need to call it a day and re-read this tomorrow morning!

You seem to be too tired now. Reading it with a frsh mind would help indeed and if you still don't get it then we can speak on the phone.

Quote:
True, but if it were our own project and thus the Vitamin M ours, its a different issue altogether. And even so, not all mechanics would comply with everything you say, especially if you come from a field totally different to theirs. The older gen. types especially would have ego problems, 'experience' complex etc. And if you make an impression even inadvertently like you're a dictator/pushy type with them, they could even give up on your project, Vitamin M or no Vitamin M! And ironically, they would be the only ones available in your area/region who are experienced with your (our) kind of cars! So you'd be left high and dry! It's not like a modern car workshop where if you find this guy and your ideas dont gel, you can immediately drive off to find another like just 5-6 km away. Its not just getting the job done that comes into play here, even the relationship between the restorer/garage and the owner/customer matters.
It doesnt mean that, in my case, I just let the garage guys do whatever they see fit, if I find/I myself know something beneficial that can be added, I am usually frank in suggesting it to them, and I can say that very often I have succeeded. If not, I dont stop with a 'no', but always ask as to why it cant be done, feasibility factors from THEIR point of view, and if it can be done in future in case of a different vehicle. And when it is possible to implement, they might resent it a bit mainly because of reasons I mentioned above, but I make up in turn by not being bossy, arrogant, demanding, showing that I understand/respect their experience (if they really do have it), make them feel appreciated and that I have empathy for them.

'nuff digression I guess!
Thats something you would have to put up with untill you find a good restorer where he will know more than you and give your car the best but even then you have to know how to manage things. Good job being done here so no reason to complain as such .
Old 8th June 2010, 22:07   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates again- but not much since I havent been feeling well the last 2 days.....maybe the heat! So havent been able to hang around too much there.

Anyways, rear spring set and ready to be painted and then refitted on suspension. 'seems to be a good enough job, considering the guy was doing up a Herald spring after about 15 years, as he told me! (sorry couldnt take a better pic.!)

LH front floorpan made and being welded into place today (was still in the process of being done when I went there and took the pics. hence the welding etc. looks incomplete here- I couldnt stay there long enough to see it finished!)

More later. Although I may not be going there tomorrow, unless I'm fully allright......boy is that going to be boring!! :(

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6274.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6265.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6272.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6273.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6275.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6276.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6277.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 8th June 2010 at 22:21.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:19   #246
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the progress happening on this car.What's the height of the springs ? Get Well soon !
Old 8th June 2010, 22:23   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good to see the progress happening on this car.What's the height of the springs ? Get Well soon !
Thanks! Height IIRC was 5.5 when they measure before setting them. It was increased to only 1/2 or 1 inch, not advisable to do more than that on this spring. Moreover, someone had previously even fitted a thin extra spring in between.
Old 9th June 2010, 00:00   #248
Senior - BHPian

Nice job done!! LH pan looks very perfect. Does the Herald have a pan kind of setup under the driver's and passenger feet unlike other cars floor where they are even/flat?. Chary does this Job shyam? cool then you have "yehi hain right choice baby" as said in older pepsi ad.

What is this Stanguru your car is getting well and you are falling sick.Yes Hyderabad summer is becoming cruel now-a-days. Do get well soon buddy.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 23:14   #249
Senior - BHPian

So how is the car and your health doing ?
Old 10th June 2010, 23:25   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Nice job done!! LH pan looks very perfect. Does the Herald have a pan kind of setup under the driver's and passenger feet unlike other cars floor where they are even/flat?. Chary does this Job shyam?

Yes Hyderabad summer is becoming cruel now-a-days. Do get well soon buddy.
Thanks bala! Yes, the footwells among the floorpans are a pan/dish kind of set-up, rather than the flat types in most cars. And yes, it is entirely done by the Chary bros. So I'm absolutely confident about having them deal with these cars.
And with your prayers, the monsoon has finally arrived today!

Quote:
So how is the car and your health doing ?
Health is thankfully better today!
Car also is doing fine, footwell/floorpan welding done. But not too much of an update to post pics. so will include that when I post a bigger update next!
Old 11th June 2010, 09:39   #251
Senior - BHPian

Shyam bhai, Great to know that you are doing better.
Awating for your next update.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 00:35   #252
Senior - BHPian

By the By any thoughts about the colour you are planning for this British lady? If I have to dream about it I would be the grey colour and some retro type seat patterns with creamish wheels. somewhat similar to the one which took part in the Haig rally.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 01:07   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Car also is doing fine, footwell/floorpan welding done. But not too much of an update to post pics. so will include that when I post a bigger update next!
OK, so here are pics. of said footwell, and also the corresponding rear one, which is nearly done being welded.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6281.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6284.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6288.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6289.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6290.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
By the By any thoughts about the colour you are planning for this British lady? If I have to dream about it I would be the grey colour and some retro type seat patterns with creamish wheels. somewhat similar to the one which took part in the Haig rally.
You know what Bala, I had EXACTLY the same colour in mind!!!

That is if jai is ok with it. Since the interior of this car originally was red, I had in mind a colour that would permit the use of red interior and the only ones in India that did on Heralds were white, black and phantom grey (colour of 'Dhramapur 6', which you mentioned)
Old 14th June 2010, 23:14   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, back again with a whole lot of updates this time!!

The floorboards are all done on the inside. Now the bodyshell has been shifted to the inside of the shed to be worked on, while the chassis outside.

And today, I saw the bodyshell has been propped up on it's side and the underside pitch and accumulated muck etc being scraped off- surprisingly most part of the metal here is still good and shiny!

I'm however, intending to get the flooring zinc-primer'd both inside and out and then pitch-coated, as was done for the chassis, once the welding/tinkering/patchwork is completed on the underside.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6305.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6306.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6308.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6309.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6334.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6335.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6336.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6337.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6338.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6339.jpg

Rust gangerine set in at the rear chassis outrigger mounting points!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6340.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6343.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6346.jpg

The mech. meanwhile is cleaning up the front suspension towers that are to be primer'd and chassis-painted in the same black, and thereafter fitted after the front part of the chassis is fixed up.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6344.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6345.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 14th June 2010 at 23:16.
Old 15th June 2010, 09:23   #255
Senior - BHPian

Great going Shyam. The garage guys seem to have all the attention diverted to your car or on a lighter note to get rid of the perfectionist who budges them all the time as yeh theek nahi hai woh aise karo et al.

Hey BTW why have you not removed the front windshield glass of the car? It might get damaged as the body is literally being rolled over and sideways a couple of times.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote