Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 09:42   #256
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,545 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Hey BTW why have you not removed the front windshield glass of the car? It might get damaged as the body is literally being rolled over and sideways a couple of times.
I did point out to them about the windscreen and also the bootlid, but they assured me there wont be any problem. The body is propped up on its side only once, for working on the flooring.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 18:42   #257
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Good to see that the car has been turned on its side for under body work. So why don't you rest the body on some old tyres ?
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 22:40   #258
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -_-
Posts: 313
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Shyam you might want to check out electrolysis as a method of rust removal from small parts if you havent checked it out already.

I myself am trying it out right now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rust Removal using Electrolysis.pdf (270.2 KB, 213 views)
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 10:41   #259
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Shyam you might want to check out electrolysis as a method of rust removal from small parts if you havent checked it out already.

I myself am trying it out right now.

This is not a practical solution to go about it. Instead the way he is going is better compared to the one suggested by you.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 11:21   #260
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -_-
Posts: 313
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Well you are right about that, its not at all practical for a whole car , since you cant do it on a large scale. But i have mentioned that its good only for small parts.
Now scientifically this is the best process that exists for rust removal. It doesnt remove a single Fe molecule and removes every single Fe2O3 molecule. Its convenient too. You set it up and go to sleep, it is a auto halting process, ie: it will go on only till there are Fe2O3 molecules on the iron. All the Fe2O3 will get converted to Fe3O4(black rust) which in fact protects the iron underneath and can be easily removed if required.

Between yesterday and today i hae tried out this methoud and i must say i agree its the best way to remove rust.

If you were talking about the Caustic soda(NaOH) method when you mentioned the method he is using then let me reming you , no matter how small the quantity is , NaOH is still highly corrosive and does remove a lot of good metal along with the oxide, but like you said , its is the only practical option for bigger parts.

@shyam: i called up the lady who owns the Karol bagh herald,she remmbered me clearly, by name(which means she did take me seriously); talked to her for an hour. Ill quote her "abhi dene ko dil nahin manta , lekin jab doongi to apko hi doongi aur iske paise bhi nahin loongi, yeh mere bhai ki nishani hai aur main chahti hoon yeh uske paas jaye jo iski kadar karta ho". I have gotten to know her pretty well and i can say that she means every word she say. I did tell her that papers will be required when she does let go of the car so she said shell surely ask her sister in law if she can find them(its her brothers car , which he pretty much gave away to her but he is no more, hope you remember the story). So this is how things stand. As of now she is very fond of me so didnt want to ruin that by pushing too much. But i am pretty optimistic. But i dont expect it to happen soon, maybe a year more. Anyways , ill keep calling her every few months, since out of sight is out of mind.

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 17th June 2010 at 11:24.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 14:53   #261
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Well you are right about that, its not at all practical for a whole car , since you cant do it on a large scale. But i have mentioned that its good only for small parts.
Now scientifically this is the best process that exists for rust removal. It doesnt remove a single Fe molecule and removes every single Fe2O3 molecule. Its convenient too. You set it up and go to sleep, it is a auto halting process, ie: it will go on only till there are Fe2O3 molecules on the iron. All the Fe2O3 will get converted to Fe3O4(black rust) which in fact protects the iron underneath and can be easily removed if required.

Between yesterday and today i hae tried out this methoud and i must say i agree its the best way to remove rust.

If you were talking about the Caustic soda(NaOH) method when you mentioned the method he is using then let me reming you , no matter how small the quantity is , NaOH is still highly corrosive and does remove a lot of good metal along with the oxide, but like you said , its is the only practical option for bigger parts.
Are you suggesting then one should use electrolysis on some parts and Caustic soda on the others ? What about fender panels , door etc ? I think this would be more useful for something like an original badge or something.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
@shyam: i called up the lady who owns the Karol bagh herald,she remmbered me clearly, by name(which means she did take me seriously); talked to her for an hour. Ill quote her "abhi dene ko dil nahin manta , lekin jab doongi to apko hi doongi aur iske paise bhi nahin loongi, yeh mere bhai ki nishani hai aur main chahti hoon yeh uske paas jaye jo iski kadar karta ho". I have gotten to know her pretty well and i can say that she means every word she say. I did tell her that papers will be required when she does let go of the car so she said shell surely ask her sister in law if she can find them(its her brothers car , which he pretty much gave away to her but he is no more, hope you remember the story). So this is how things stand. As of now she is very fond of me so didnt want to ruin that by pushing too much. But i am pretty optimistic. But i dont expect it to happen soon, maybe a year more. Anyways , ill keep calling her every few months, since out of sight is out of mind.
This is a very old dialog heard from many and at the end you will see that the car has gone to someone else. Anyway hope its not this way for you. Best of luck .
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 15:46   #262
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,545 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Shyam you might want to check out electrolysis as a method of rust removal from small parts if you havent checked it out already.

I myself am trying it out right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Well you are right about that, its not at all practical for a whole car , since you cant do it on a large scale. But i have mentioned that its good only for small parts.
Thanks MCB, but I'm afraid the present atmosphere where the car is may or may not be favourable to try this out. Moreover, it not being my own car, I have to check with the owner as well.

Quote:
@shyam: i called up the lady who owns the Karol bagh herald,she remmbered me clearly, by name(which means she did take me seriously); talked to her for an hour. Ill quote her "abhi dene ko dil nahin manta , lekin jab doongi to apko hi doongi aur iske paise bhi nahin loongi, yeh mere bhai ki nishani hai aur main chahti hoon yeh uske paas jaye jo iski kadar karta ho"
But i am pretty optimistic. But i dont expect it to happen soon, maybe a year more. Anyways , ill keep calling her every few months, since out of sight is out of mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
This is a very old dialog heard from many and at the end you will see that the car has gone to someone else. Anyway hope its not this way for you. Best of luck .
Arre babu moshai! Why dampen the poor guy's hopes now?!

Let's just speak positive and hope it happens! ATB, MCB! I'm going through a similar situation right now, so 'know how you feel!

OK, going to the garage to check on the progress, so more later!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 20:04   #263
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -_-
Posts: 313
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Are you suggesting then one should use electrolysis on some parts and ..........original badge or something.
Well, it can be used only for components that fit into a bucket or a tub even(i just realised that i can use the bath tub in my house for it). But it usually is practical for mechanical components and things like screws and bolts, where you cant afford to loose any more metal than necessary. I used it on the channel inside the door of a maruti 800 that holds the glass once its inside and on a few engine components of my bike.


Quote:
This is a very old dialog heard from many and at the end you will see that the car has gone to someone else. Anyway hope its not this way for you. Best of luck
I know what you are talking about , those lines are indeed very cliched.
But do believe me when i say that i can tell when a person absolutely means what they are saying and she did. Besides dont most old people have a habit of using cliched lines all the time. Also she really has no use for the 10-15k that the herald might fetch her. Shes 70+ , unmarried(so no heir), she Has a home and a good amount of money has been left behind by her parents which she says is more than enough for the rest of her days.She leads a very very simple lifestyle and probably is spending no more than 10k a month on her existense, get the picture?

So trust me when i say that there is a good chance that she makes good on her words.And thanks for your good wishes


Quote:
Arre babu moshai! Why dampen the poor guy's hopes now?!

Let's just speak positive and hope it happens! ATB, MCB! I'm going through a similar situation right now, so 'know how you feel!
Thanks for the support man and did i tell you the gazels tail lamps are still produced by neolite
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 20:11   #264
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Well, it can be used only for components that fit into a bucket or a tub even(i just realised that i can use the bath tub in my house for it). But it usually is practical for mechanical components and things like screws and bolts, where you cant afford to loose any more metal than necessary. I used it on the channel inside the door of a maruti 800 that holds the glass once its inside and on a few engine components of my bike.
If it is things like a screw or a tube or a bolt they can be replaced and changed. But none the less its a good way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
I know what you are talking about , those lines are indeed very cliched.
But do believe me when i say that i can tell when a person absolutely means what they are saying and she did. Besides dont most old people have a habit of using cliched lines all the time. Also she really has no use for the 10-15k that the herald might fetch her. Shes 70+ , unmarried(so no heir), she Has a home and a good amount of money has been left behind by her parents which she says is more than enough for the rest of her days.She leads a very very simple lifestyle and probably is spending no more than 10k a month on her existense, get the picture?

So trust me when i say that there is a good chance that she makes good on her words.And thanks for your good wishes
Sometimes the money doesn't matter. Anyway best of luck as i said.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 23:34   #265
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,545 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Thanks for the support man and did i tell you the gazels tail lamps are still produced by neolite
Oh, I was not are of that, thanks! The originals (which werent too good, would turn a brownish opaque hue!) were made by Hella.

Coming back to where I left, here is the work done in the last 2-3 days- underside fully scraped clean. And floorpans being properly welded from the underside, with the old crumbs of rusty metal cut off.
And new pieces of metal being fabricated for the rear chassis 'beds'

Also front suspension towers both fully scrubbed clean and kept ready to be primer'd and painted.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6347.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6360.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6361.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6362.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6388.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6389.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6390.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6391.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6392.jpg
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 07:11   #266
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,611
Thanked: 200 Times
Default

I am amazed to see the cleanliness under the car. The bare metal is looking fresh after the paint scraping. A lot of work saved i guess. So whats the final plan regarding the under body treatment Shyam. Will it be same as the chassis.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 10:18   #267
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,545 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
So whats the final plan regarding the under body treatment Shyam. Will it be same as the chassis.
Yes, of course, as I'd mentioned earlier.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:48   #268
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,545 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Good to see the way the work is progressing. So how much more have be progressed?
Sorry for the halt again!

Again, nothing major going on at present! The chassis is now lying outside the shed with the body moved inside, which is worrying me a bit because of the monsoon that has just started! Although the rear axle has been kept covered.
The rear spring and one of the halfshafts is to be fitted because of the delay from the painter in painting the spring!

The rear chassis mounting beds have both been replaced, the rusted old beds (now seen inside) will be cut off.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6445.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6446.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6447.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6503.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6484.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6485.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd June 2010 at 23:57.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 09:14   #269
Senior - BHPian
 
samsag12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: City of Nawaabs
Posts: 1,611
Thanked: 200 Times
Default

Good going Stanher. So nearly all the body tub job has been completed, i guess. BTW Do share the procedure you will follow for the paint job of the car.If possible, mention the brand name of the various products used/will be used in the said process.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 16:31   #270
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -_-
Posts: 313
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

These guys really are skilled shyam, their abilities are way beyond any mechnic i have ever met here in delhi, most of them start hammering hings when they dont work the way they want to , which is most bugging. Infact because of the poor standards the mechanics here had i decided that i would never take my car to one ever again and ever since have been working on them on my own. But i hope i find one similarly skilled mechanic in delhi who doesnt charge an arm and leg for simple body work. Ohh did i mention that i have recently acquired a 97 contessa? a long standing dream come true...wooohoooo!
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Angel - Resurrection of my Yamaha RD350 MindSpeeDs Motorbikes 70 26th August 2017 13:22
Vatsa Vintage Resurrection - Rajdoot GTS 175 aka Bobby SA7VA5 Post-War 44 10th February 2017 08:07
Resurrection Z: The two stroker lives on (Yamaha RXZ) Roomy Motorbikes 12 23rd September 2016 19:34
Superb article on the resurrection of KTM Bookkeeper Motorbikes 2 16th February 2016 16:22
Resurrection: A CJ3B STORY diesel_maniac 4x4 Vehicles 147 9th September 2011 11:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks