Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:23   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
chanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: APX to AP 29
Posts: 1,481
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Came across this car today at Sholinganallur toll gate (Chennai). I think it is an old Premier Padmini....
Wow!! this is Premier Padmini Safari a rare variant from PAL stable, thought there no change in terms of engine spec however the body styling is little different as the boot is like the TATA Estate, this car has become a liking object for Fiat/PP lovers. I appreciate the owner is still using it.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 14:11   #47
BHPian
 
subodh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 211
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Hey Guys!

came across this thread for the first time. My family owns a 1956 Fiat 1100 which has been in our family since 1970. It is not used for a very long time and I am looking at restoring / modding the car so that it remains useful. FIrst and foremost thing which i need to do is replace the steering wheel and put a smaller steering wheel and make it power steering. Can anyone help and suggest some person in Pune who will be able to help out?
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 18:07   #48
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 634
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
Hey Guys!

came across this thread for the first time. My family owns a 1956 Fiat 1100 which has been in our family since 1970. It is not used for a very long time and I am looking at restoring / modding the car so that it remains useful. FIrst and foremost thing which i need to do is replace the steering wheel and put a smaller steering wheel and make it power steering. Can anyone help and suggest some person in Pune who will be able to help out?
With all due respect to your idea but why are your modifying a classic legacy to MODERN standards. That will screw up the whole classic theme
And honestly i don't think that 1100 needs power assist. The cross plies are skinny enough to maneuver.
But then again its your car.
My suggestion is to keep it that way dear
KkVaidya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 17:45   #49
BHPian
 
subodh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 211
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
With all due respect to your idea but why are your modifying a classic legacy to MODERN standards. That will screw up the whole classic theme
And honestly i don't think that 1100 needs power assist. The cross plies are skinny enough to maneuver.
But then again its your car.
My suggestion is to keep it that way dear
Thanks for the inputs But my problem is not only with the power required to pull the steering. I am pretty big guy and the steering wheel on this car is also equally big. So for me to fit inside the car, I need a smaller steering, which will need power assist as it wont be possible to steer the car. So its me vs. the steering, either one has to reduce. I was looking at the easy way out .
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 18:02   #50
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 634
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
Thanks for the inputs But my problem is not only with the power required to pull the steering. I am pretty big guy and the steering wheel on this car is also equally big. So for me to fit inside the car, I need a smaller steering, which will need power assist as it wont be possible to steer the car. So its me vs. the steering, either one has to reduce. I was looking at the easy way out .
Ohh - That is really funny. I remember one of my FAT friend who used to move in a '71 Fiat 1100. He has changed the seat position to accommodate his large tummy. But then again you need to be long in the leg, otherwise you wont reach the pedals.
But why don't you try the nearest gym. That would work both ways - you will retain the originality of the Fiat as well as tone your body too.
Bye-
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 13:45   #51
BHPian
 
subodh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 211
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Ohh - That is really funny. I remember one of my FAT friend who used to move in a '71 Fiat 1100. He has changed the seat position to accommodate his large tummy. But then again you need to be long in the leg, otherwise you wont reach the pedals.
But why don't you try the nearest gym. That would work both ways - you will retain the originality of the Fiat as well as tone your body too.
Bye-
Have been trying the nearest gym but its a long shot and driving this car is my near term goal.
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 16:46   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
chanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: APX to AP 29
Posts: 1,481
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Hi Subodh

I guess relocating the seating position will help you fit well, I have seen someone with a waist length of 40" plus could doing it. Now as far as modifying is concerned I would also suggest/request not to do so as these cars are more valuable and prestigious if in original condition.

Why don't you post few pictures of the car interior and exteriors by starting a new thread it will help us to advice you better options and can discuss more on the car.

I can understand your point of having power steering but as I own two FIAT cars, till date I never felt the car need a PS unit until and unless you are going for a low profile tire.

It's a pride and fun having a original automobile than modding it which will kill the reliability and might also end up in a flop, here are few pictures to motivate you. All the best, looking forward for you thread with lot of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-1956-fiat-2.jpg  

Attached Images
  
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 13:22   #53
BHPian
 
amartya sinha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 35
Thanked: 15 Times
Question Help required from the gurus to identify a car

I'am not sure whether this car can be called a 'Classic'. The car, whose pics have been loaded, was the first car in our family. My father had bought it way back in 1985, when I was 7 years old and my brother 2 years old (though the pics were taken much later). Prior to that our family vehicle was the classic old lambretta.

We were the 3rd owners of this car, and we all were particularly fond of this car because of obvious reasons. We sold this car off in 1992, after 7 years of ownership, when my father got transferred to another city.

I remember this car specially because, I learnt how to drive a 4 wheeler on this.

All i remember of this car was that, it was a fiat.

No better forum than TBHP to satisfy my stupid inquisitiveness ,.

Off nearly all the photos I've searched in the Fiat vintage car segment, I didn't come across this particular design.

Can the gurus help me in identifying the car, the year it started manufacturing, the specs.

I do not recollect any other information on this car. I would be grateful to anybody and everybody, who could increase my knowledge on the same!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-car.jpg  

Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-car2.jpg  

amartya sinha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 16:08   #54
BHPian
 
amartya sinha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 35
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
I remember Premier Padmini having an estate version called Safari...can any one post its pics.
Are the pics. previously posted by me is what you call 'SAFARI'?. Because, I remember we used to call it 'fiat safari'.
amartya sinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 19:14   #55
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,549 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya sinha View Post
I'am not sure whether this car can be called a 'Classic'. The car, whose pics have been loaded, was the first car in our family. My father had bought it way back in 1985, when I was 7 years old and my brother 2 years old (though the pics were taken much later). Prior to that our family vehicle was the classic old lambretta.

All i remember of this car was that, it was a fiat.
Off nearly all the photos I've searched in the Fiat vintage car segment, I didn't come across this particular design.

Can the gurus help me in identifying the car, the year it started manufacturing, the specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya sinha View Post
Are the pics. previously posted by me is what you call 'SAFARI'?. Because, I remember we used to call it 'fiat safari'.
Well from the side-pattis and front grille (albeit painted over) I can say that this could have been a 1973 Premier President. Although it looks like it was converted into a 'safari' from a saloon, going by the curved shape of the rear door at the top, which came for a normal fiat saloon. The Fiat 1100 was also available as a station wagon called the Familiare but the rear door shape was different, as you can see here:

Fiat 1100 D Familiare | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...re_cropped.jpg
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 09:32   #56
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 634
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya sinha View Post
Are the pics. previously posted by me is what you call 'SAFARI'?. Because, I remember we used to call it 'fiat safari'.
Was this a 'New' car when you guys brought it? If yes, then its the Premier Safari or what you can say PDA (Premier Drive-away Chassis). It was launched by PAL in 1982. The cars were converted to estate courtesy Starline Motors. We had a white safari in 1982. You can find more pictures of this car in the previous pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I can say that this could have been a 1973 Premier President. Although it looks like it was converted into a 'safari' from a saloon, going by the curved shape of the rear door at the top, which came for a normal fiat saloon.
Hi Shyam,
It seems like a Presient but I have doubts. Its a genuine Safari. If they got this car used, then probably someone changed some parts to make it look like a president.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 10:52   #57
BHPian
 
amartya sinha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 35
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Was this a 'New' car when you guys brought it? If yes, then its the Premier Safari or what you can say PDA (Premier Drive-away Chassis). It was launched by PAL in 1982. The cars were converted to estate courtesy Starline Motors. We had a white safari in 1982. You can find more pictures of this car in the previous pages.


Hi Shyam,
It seems like a Presient but I have doubts. Its a genuine Safari. If they got this car used, then probably someone changed some parts to make it look like a president.
No vaidya saab, as quoted earlier, we were the 3rd owners of this car in 1985, and the gentleman from whom we had bought it, had used it for 2 years. I don't know for how many years the 1st owner had used it. But i'm pretty sure, the back side of the car did not look similar to the one posted by yourself in the previous page. This car had more straight angles rather than rounded ones.
amartya sinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 16:20   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,718
Thanked: 1,526 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well from the side-pattis and front grille (albeit painted over) I can say that this could have been a 1973 Premier President. Although it looks like it was converted into a 'safari' from a saloon, going by the curved shape of the rear door at the top, which came for a normal fiat saloon. The Fiat 1100 was also available as a station wagon called the Familiare but the rear door shape was different, as you can see here:

Fiat 1100 D Familiare | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...re_cropped.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Was this a 'New' car when you guys brought it? If yes, then its the Premier Safari or what you can say PDA (Premier Drive-away Chassis). It was launched by PAL in 1982. The cars were converted to estate courtesy Starline Motors. We had a white safari in 1982. You can find more pictures of this car in the previous pages.


Hi Shyam,
It seems like a Presient but I have doubts. Its a genuine Safari. If they got this car used, then probably someone changed some parts to make it look like a president.
Hi Shyam & Vaidya,

Shyam is spot on - as it could be 1973 President Drive Away Chassis. The 1982 versions were different.

I personally knew a Car which was 1973 (from Brand New) and Body Built by Star - the car is there in the Bangalore Fiat 1100 threads. I am reposting the picture here.

Also look up the posts 2034 and 2044 in that the thread mentioned above.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-img0099a.jpg  


Last edited by r_nairtvm : 20th December 2011 at 16:22.
r_nairtvm is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 21:14   #59
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,549 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Was this a 'New' car when you guys brought it? If yes, then its the Premier Safari or what you can say PDA (Premier Drive-away Chassis). It was launched by PAL in 1982. The cars were converted to estate courtesy Starline Motors. We had a white safari in 1982. You can find more pictures of this car in the previous pages.


Hi Shyam,
It seems like a Presient but I have doubts. Its a genuine Safari. If they got this car used, then probably someone changed some parts to make it look like a president.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Shyam & Vaidya,

Shyam is spot on - as it could be 1973 President Drive Away Chassis. The 1982 versions were different.

I personally knew a Car which was 1973 (from Brand New) and Body Built by Star - the car is there in the Bangalore Fiat 1100 threads. I am reposting the picture here.
Amartya is right, this Fiat was NOT a Safari, you can make out from what you see of the rear end. It obviously had the 'normal' finned rear end f the Fiat 1100D and not the less attractive (IMHO) one of the SAB Safari.

Ram, I remember this car- I think it was bought for use of a local Godman?

Amartya's fiat again is different from this- note the rear window frame shape.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 21:33   #60
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,549 Times
Default Re: Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information

'hope I'm posting in the right thread. Could anyone help me out with identifying the fiat parts here? These were actually salvaged by my mechanic for me when I had a fiat a few years ago, in the view that they may come in handy one day. I never had to use them though.

But I dont really know what they all are- the round bit seems to be a driveshaft coupling?

And the narrow rods are conrods?

Could someone help here

Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-img_0183001.jpg

Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-img_0184001.jpg

Fiat 1100 "Family" -1962 -Technical, Photos & Information-img_0182001.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 9th January 2012 at 21:36.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The FIAT 1100/Premier Padmini Technical Information thread adheesh Post-War 1617 13th November 2017 16:40
Restoration of "Vinty", a 1960 Fiat Select 1100! CAC444 Post-War 105 10th December 2016 01:13
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Fiat 1100 Deluxe - Specifications and Information john a milne Post-War 41 27th January 2013 22:49
1962 FIAT 1100 - Instruction Book john a milne Post-War 16 18th October 2012 21:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks