Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 6th January 2010, 19:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks ram! Very thoughtful of you to have saved all these old ads of yore btw!

PS: Who's that guy in the ad? Mr. Birla?
No idea at all. The features looks typically "Bengali" from Sathyajit Ray's films etc - possibly related to the artist who created the advert,

Best Regards

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 21:33   #32
BHPian

Lovely car! Brings back a lot of childhood memories. My father owned a Mark I, the same colour as yours - cream. It was bought new from Maricar Motors, Ernakulam in 1961 and registered KLE 1111. He sold the car in 1964 to buy an early Mark II, which was in a most unusual colour - Autumn Russet - a kind of chocolate brown. This baby was registered KLE 3333. I still own her, and she has run nearly 600000 miles since new. A decade back. the engine was replaced with a F-305 diesel. However, I retained the original petrol engine and can put it back any time. The car is undergoing restoration now and will feature on this forum when completed. I'm trimming the upholstery in a fashion similar to the original grey and red, though I've played around with the colours a bit; opting for a darker red and cream to replace the grey, which I remember as being rather drab.
One question, you have fitted an AC, but does the original amby engine have the power to handle it?
tonrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 23:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
One question, you have fitted an AC, but does the original amby engine have the power to handle it?
A quick question - were Amby engines the same right upto the Mark-4, or were they tweaked / improved ?
My father had a 1981 Mark-4 (MMG 4189) which had an AC that not only froze us to death, but also never seemed to affect power in any way.
Of course, I was too young then, and could also be mistaken on the power bit..
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 23:08   #34
BHPian

AWESOME!! I have a 1988 Amby and has gone through a lot of changes would love to get it back to the original one. This is inspiration. Thanks.
av8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 23:14   #35

we had doubts of the registration,but the RC book shows the car was registered in Ernakulam and the first owner was a lady doc from Angamali,the car has not been reregistered,as for the a/c it works perfectly though i have not driven it long distance,there are mild modifications like the radiator and fan has been changed.iwill post photos of the engine and intial work.
Attached Thumbnails
fully restored 1961 model Hindustan Ambassador-engine-1.jpg  

fully restored 1961 model Hindustan Ambassador-engine-2.jpg  

fully restored 1961 model Hindustan Ambassador-engine-3.jpg  

fully restored 1961 model Hindustan Ambassador-boys-giving-helping-hand.jpg  

fully restored 1961 model Hindustan Ambassador-dress-rehearsal-front-grill-bumpers.jpg  

fully restored 1961 model Hindustan Ambassador-newly-painted-amby-karanchira.jpg  

fully restored 1961 model Hindustan Ambassador-rear-steel-beading-missing.jpg  

fully restored 1961 model Hindustan Ambassador-rear-view.jpg  

fully restored 1961 model Hindustan Ambassador-work-progress.jpg  

drjoepaulp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 00:34   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
My father had a 1981 Mark-4 (MMG 4189) which had an AC that not only froze us to death, but also never seemed to affect power in any way.
Uh, ravi- I thought your dad had a select back then, in fact since the late 60s you told me IIRC?

Last edited by Stanher : 7th January 2010 at 00:38.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 10:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
A quick question - were Amby engines the same right upto the Mark-4, or were they tweaked / improved ?
SS,

As far as I can remember/recollect, they were exactly the same engines. Some of differences I can remember is as follows:

1. The earlier models (I think until 1964 and advent of Mark II) did not have the mechanical fuel pump on the engine. What they had was Electrical Pumps which used to be housed inside the right upper most (almost) corner of the dicky/boot - just below the fuel inlet.

So incorporating the external mechanicals for the fuelpump for the engines was a kind of alteration. Interestingly though equiped with Electrical pumps the cam shaft even for the 1963 models had the feature (I dont know the technical name for this) which can push the driver/push shaft of the mechanical fuel pump. So it was a relatively easy job convert the older models to mechanical pumps.

2. The Air Cleaner shape was changed as well. The latter models starting with Mark III had more flat type air cleaner which still contimues on the classic petrols.

3. Carburettor, changed with various models. The older bell shapped barrel types (seen in the car being discussed here) changed to the current one over a few years. But I think they were Solex all along (I may have seen Webbers on few older cars).

The Electrical Pumps were notorious for their problems. You know they were point driven. The points was responsible for the up and down (forwrad & reverse) motion of the diaphragm which caused the fuel to be sucked in from the tank and pushed to the engine.

The points had a tendency to wear off like any other so called platinum points. Often it could happen when you are on an out of town trip or so. I still recall one such incident. We were on our way back to Trivandrum after a happy day at Kanyakumari (56 miles away from TVM - those days for us it was a looong trip) in my gradpa's 1963 Amby. It was about 8.00 pm or so and we had just finished a packed dinner under moonlight at about the mid-point of the journey. The car suddenly developed problem that it would run a distance and then stop.

Grandpa and the Driver (old man was good in diagnosis and the Driver then was an excellent mechanic as well) said in unison "Darn PUMP". The Driver got his kit out opened the top portion of the pump in the light of his ever-present flashlight (those days a lot of people carried a flashlight with them after sunset almost habitually). He polished the point and put it back. But it was no good for any sustainable distances.

After couple of tries came the Drivers announcement - Sir (grandpa) will drive and I am sitting inside the dicky/boot. What he did was to sit inside the dicky and was tickling the point with a piece of wire whenever the pump stopped to restart it. He sat in there for about 20 miles atleast till we reached or home. He had kept the boot lid open by tying a stout stick from a way side tree/bush to the lid stay. The rest of the journey was eventless.

Only in an Amby boot, this was possible! Good Old Amby!

I think I have bored you enough here.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 7th January 2010 at 10:49.
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 11:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
SS,
As far as I can remember/recollect, they were exactly the same engines. Some of differences I can remember is as follows:

Ram
Wow, that was comprehensive and informative. Thanks a ton Ram ..
Of course, good ol' Amby - She was actually like a mother to many Indian families - Just kept absorbing, assimilating, and taking care of as many as possible !
In fact an adline for the Amby in the 90's went something like:
"The Ambassador has been to India, what a mother is to her children - Reliable, Reliable, Reliable. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Uh, ravi- I thought your dad had a select back then, in fact since the late 60s you told me IIRC?
The Fiat Select was constant - from 1967 thru 2001. Additionally we had two ambys in succession both Mark-4's - MTY 2205 in 1979, and MMG 4189 from 1981 thru 1994. Seen some real good times in Ambassadors !
MMG 4189 went away only when we aquired that symbol of resurgent Indian motoring - the Maruti 800 ! But look at the average Indian family's resistance to change over from old gen cars - We took all of ten years to switch over to Marutis as mainstream cars !

Last edited by SuperSelect : 7th January 2010 at 11:26.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 14:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

Those horns also look originals. There was a brand called 'Jalwa' which in those days were really good. Appears to be of the 70's.

The carburettor is also original SU carburettor. Did duty till they were replaced with solex ones.

The dynamos has been changed to alternator is it not?

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th January 2010 at 14:07. Reason: additions
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 14:09   #40
Team-BHP Support

Great job. Please change those window glass aluminium biding to new one. After all these work that part is looking out of place.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 19:40   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
SS,

1. The earlier models (I think until 1964 and advent of Mark II) did not have the mechanical fuel pump on the engine. What they had was Electrical Pumps which used to be housed inside the right upper most (almost) corner of the dicky/boot - just below the fuel inlet.

So incorporating the external mechanicals for the fuelpump for the engines was a kind of alteration. Interestingly though equiped with Electrical pumps the cam shaft even for the 1963 models had the feature (I dont know the technical name for this) which can push the driver/push shaft of the mechanical fuel pump. So it was a relatively easy job convert the older models to mechanical pumps.

2. The Air Cleaner shape was changed as well. The latter models starting with Mark III had more flat type air cleaner which still contimues on the classic petrols.

3. Carburettor, changed with various models. The older bell shapped barrel types (seen in the car being discussed here) changed to the current one over a few years. But I think they were Solex all along (I may have seen Webbers on few older cars).

The Electrical Pumps were notorious for their problems. You know they were point driven. The points was responsible for the up and down (forwrad & reverse) motion of the diaphragm which caused the fuel to be sucked in from the tank and pushed to the engine.

The points had a tendency to wear off like any other so called platinum points. Often it could happen when you are on an out of town trip or so. I still recall one such incident. We were on our way back to Trivandrum after a happy day at Kanyakumari (56 miles away from TVM - those days for us it was a looong trip) in my gradpa's 1963 Amby. It was about 8.00 pm or so and we had just finished a packed dinner under moonlight at about the mid-point of the journey. The car suddenly developed problem that it would run a distance and then stop.

Grandpa and the Driver (old man was good in diagnosis and the Driver then was an excellent mechanic as well) said in unison "Darn PUMP". The Driver got his kit out opened the top portion of the pump in the light of his ever-present flashlight (those days a lot of people carried a flashlight with them after sunset almost habitually). He polished the point and put it back. But it was no good for any sustainable distances.

After couple of tries came the Drivers announcement - Sir (grandpa) will drive and I am sitting inside the dicky/boot. What he did was to sit inside the dicky and was tickling the point with a piece of wire whenever the pump stopped to restart it. He sat in there for about 20 miles atleast till we reached or home. He had kept the boot lid open by tying a stout stick from a way side tree/bush to the lid stay. The rest of the journey was eventless.

I think I have bored you enough here.

Ram
Nice nostalgic trip Mr Nair. Even my Landmaster had this electrical fuel pump.This has a solenoid incorporated in the circuit and is also troublesome during summers.I have now fitted a Contessa's electronic fuel pump thats also placed in the boot at the same place.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 19:45   #42
BHPian

Regarding the horns, they were originally Lucas windtones and produced that nice dual note 'paaam' - tone , like a fifties American car!
tonrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 20:26   #43
Senior - BHPian

an EXCELLENT model. but the interior color combo is not a good looker. the wipers, radiator, gear knob etc. if changed will make it a complete stock car.

did the mark 1 came with semaphores or the front indicators did the purpose??
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2010, 23:08   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
an EXCELLENT model. but the interior color combo is not a good looker. the wipers, radiator, gear knob etc. if changed will make it a complete stock car.

did the mark 1 came with semaphores or the front indicators did the purpose??
The oldest Mark 1's had the semaphores in fact. I am not sure when these disappeared but that was in all probability in the early 1960's.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 00:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoepaulp View Post
The car was bulit from scratch,it was modified into a Mark 3 and a bundle of rust,it has an original petrol engine OHV and the A/c works perfectly,it is not an every day car and Most of the work was done in a small village workshop in Kattoor,Thrissur.The paint job was done in Cherpu ,Thrissur.The body is original except that panels have been welded on and given a good shape,all the parts were sourced from Thrissur Kerala.The rear brake lights(red) are from bangalore and some knobs on the dash are also from bangalore.The registration is original 1961,The wheel caps are original accessories from Late 60s and 70s,The Mk1 logo seems to have vanished its not available.The car's present owner is my brother Mr George who still has other projects under his sleeve.Will try and post more pictures on the intial work,Thank you very much guys for your comments
Joe , ma jaws dropped.

The car was painted in Cherpu , Buddy I live in Ammadam just 2 kilometers away from cherpu.

I think defnitely we shoud meet.

I am searching for a good place to paint my Jeep , may I know the name of the work shop in Cherpu , where your car got painted ?
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote