Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 23:39   #151
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Here is a pic of my collection of grille badges for the Merc. The dull IPG badge and the OAMTC badge were made by me.

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-180resto12.12.10.jpg  

mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 06:51   #152
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,843
Thanked: 3,179 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Dear mbz180,

Is there any significance on the kind of badge one puts on a Merc? For one I know that for every 100000 kms you put a badge. Are there any other such notes you can share ?

Cheers

KPS
KPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 09:21   #153
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Dear mbz180,

Is there any significance on the kind of badge one puts on a Merc? For one I know that for every 100000 kms you put a badge. Are there any other such notes you can share ?

Cheers

KPS
Hello,

The original ADAC badges are highly sought after by Merc collectors. Yes there is a 100,000, 200,000, 500,000 and 1000,000 km badge given by Mercedes against proof of your car doing the above mileages. Other than that you can put any badge you want, especially the German cities badges.

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 16:50   #154
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Just back from a fruitful trip to my car's workshop. Gave them the rubber kits and water pump housing/cooling pipe pictured earlier. Here's what Bumpu Da told me:

1) Tomorrow the undercarriage will get its final coat of epoxy semi-gloss black paint

2) On Thursday, the mechs will start assembling and re-installing the front and rear suspensions, prop shaft, gearbox, diff and other mech bits.

3) After that, the fenders, hood, trunk etc. will be fitted back on for final tinkering and adjusting panel gaps etc.

4) Wiring will start simultaneously and will be completed outside the car after which it will be installed in the car.

Progress is good!!

Attached are pics of what I call the jewels of the under carriage! All the nuts, bolts, springs, brake pipes etc. have been white Cadmium plated and it looks swell. Amazing thing is the charge is by weight and only cost Rs.150!! At that rate, I can plate the whole car Now the rest of the bits which need yellow cad and white cad plating need to be sorted.

Also pictured are the rear suspension arms with the older harder cylindrical bushes. I've given them new soft ones from Germany and they will be going on instead.

A pic of thhe A pillar underside which has rotting from the inside on both sides. They will be tackled soon.

A pic of the car with its new car cover; she will have a comfortable sleep from now on!

And a pic of the hibernating engine, which Bumpu Da has told me that they will try to get it started and running by the time I go next Saturday.

Best Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0226.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0237.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0238.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0231.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0239.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0236.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0234.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0242.jpg  

mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 21:46   #155
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Just finished testing the radio again. Working fine, and am attaching a few pics showing the glass tube glowing red and the lighting of the radio dash.


Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0245.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0246.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-image0248.jpg  

mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 12:20   #156
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Just back from a fruitful trip to my car's workshop. Gave them the rubber kits and water pump housing/cooling pipe pictured earlier. Here's what Bumpu Da told me:

1) Tomorrow the undercarriage will get its final coat of epoxy semi-gloss black paint

2) On Thursday, the mechs will start assembling and re-installing the front and rear suspensions, prop shaft, gearbox, diff and other mech bits.

3) After that, the fenders, hood, trunk etc. will be fitted back on for final tinkering and adjusting panel gaps etc.

4) Wiring will start simultaneously and will be completed outside the car after which it will be installed in the car.

Progress is good!!

Attached are pics of what I call the jewels of the under carriage! All the nuts, bolts, springs, brake pipes etc. have been white Cadmium plated and it looks swell. Amazing thing is the charge is by weight and only cost Rs.150!! At that rate, I can plate the whole car Now the rest of the bits which need yellow cad and white cad plating need to be sorted.

Also pictured are the rear suspension arms with the older harder cylindrical bushes. I've given them new soft ones from Germany and they will be going on instead.

A pic of thhe A pillar underside which has rotting from the inside on both sides. They will be tackled soon.

A pic of the car with its new car cover; she will have a comfortable sleep from now on!

And a pic of the hibernating engine, which Bumpu Da has told me that they will try to get it started and running by the time I go next Saturday.

Best Regards
Prithvi
hey the car is coming up really a fine way, i suggest you to use 3M sound dampeners ,they look great the way benz and vw floors look,they come in a pack of 10 with a stick on type 2X2 sizes and will add original look to the floor, ask your local 3M dealer
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 15:08   #157
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
hey the car is coming up really a fine way, i suggest you to use 3M sound dampeners ,they look great the way benz and vw floors look,they come in a pack of 10 with a stick on type 2X2 sizes and will add original look to the floor, ask your local 3M dealer
Oh yes, thanks you very much for the lead. I was wondering which insulation to use.

Any leads on 6.40 x 13 whitewalls? Please let me know.

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 00:26   #158
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Here's a lovely 180 Ponton, with a similar colour to what my car is going to have.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-2389386882_127b49e470_o.jpg  

mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 00:36   #159
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Here's a lovely 180 Ponton, with a similar colour to what my car is going to have.

Is this final or are you going to change the color combo again ? What does your dad think about this one ?
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 07:22   #160
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Is this final or are you going to change the color combo again ? What does your dad think about this one ?
Yes this is final. Dad likes it very much.
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 09:54   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Pontons look best in deep colors ....that green is good but maybe a deeper bottle green with hints of metalli would look amazing on your car.

if I was to get a ponton it would be either deep blue, deep chocolate brown or black.

Think about it ....don't rush the paint decision.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 11:00   #162
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Pontons look best in deep colors ....that green is good but maybe a deeper bottle green with hints of metalli would look amazing on your car.

if I was to get a ponton it would be either deep blue, deep chocolate brown or black.

Think about it ....don't rush the paint decision.
Hi Wasif,

My car's colour wont be this pastel and light, slightly deeper than this. Also check out this cool Ponton

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-4587141483_a97f94179b_b.jpg  

mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 11:17   #163
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Oh yes, thanks you very much for the lead. I was wondering which insulation to use.

Any leads on 6.40 x 13 whitewalls? Please let me know.

Regards
Prithvi
sending you the Delhi contacts in ur PM call that fellow and he will get you the right tyre,he too is an MB freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Here's a lovely 180 Ponton, with a similar colour to what my car is going to have.
the color looks lovely, what was the original paint code/shade?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th February 2011 at 23:08. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 12:36   #164
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
the color looks lovely, what was the original paint code/shade?
Mercedes called that colour Marina Green. My car was originally DB-40G, with tan interiors. Interestingly, the 180 & 190s never came with carpeting, only rubber mats which are no longer available. I will be putting in period German square weave carpets, dark tan.

Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 13:34   #165
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Mercedes called that colour Marina Green. My car was originally DB-40G, with tan interiors. Interestingly, the 180 & 190s never came with carpeting, only rubber mats which are no longer available. I will be putting in period German square weave carpets, dark tan.

Regards
Prithvi
Thats really interesting ,i saw this color at the MB center Stuttgart in may 2010,i have some pics on my Facebook account, the shade will really look nice,please keep updating the pictures and wish you all the best
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Very Rare Side Valve Ponton 180 1955 - Restoration Project SA7VA5 Post-War 27 11th June 2015 21:56
Willys Cj3b 1958 (rust to riches) Attari Post-War 57 14th September 2012 18:31
Need Advice in buying a 1958 Austin A55 Cambridge.. priyadarshan.b Post-War 25 12th July 2011 11:57
Michael Jackson ( 1958 - 2009 ) You shall be Missed !! RIP vkochar Shifting gears 101 24th June 2011 07:16
Introducing another Lambretta LD- my 1958 LD 150 mk3! Stanher Post-War 60 16th August 2010 14:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks