Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 21:33   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 221 Times
Default

Good going, Sanat !
Now that the monsoons are over, your project surely will take speed. Looking forward to regular updates.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 10:05   #92
BHPian
 
jeepster09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Good going, Sanat !
Now that the monsoons are over, your project surely will take speed. Looking forward to regular updates.
Thanks, Buddy !!

Yes - Should be ble to post regular updates here now. The welder is now working on completing the car asap.

Am looking out of a good painter around Kandivli-Borivali area who can do a good job on the Amby.

Lots of other work - electricals, chrome plating, little suspension and brakes work is still to be done.

Regards,
Sanat
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 09:03   #93
BHPian
 
jeepster09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 14 Times
Default More updates

Dear Friends,

Posting more photos of the body work, the front mudguards,bonnet and the front grille area being worked upon now.

The Mark II grille finally in place.

Regards

Photos for your viewing.
Attached Images
     
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 15:25   #94
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune, Bahrain
Posts: 438
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Indicator / parking lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
Dear Friends,

Posting more photos of the body work, the front mudguards,bonnet and the front grille area being worked upon now.

The Mark II grille finally in place.

Regards

Photos for your viewing.
Dear Sanat/Jeepster,

Read the entire thread and really interesting and inspiring to see work with such detail and enthusiasm in restoring an amby.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but from the original pic of the car the indicators / parking lights are separated from the grill and headlights. The body panels also have the holes for them. Unless your car had been modded before, by someone who didn't have the time to find the "original grill" i would think that the initial pics would be the way they came out of the factory? pls do correct me with the correct info.

would it be possible that your particular model was an 'in between' model, where some minor changes were made but not publicly announced?

Anyways.. all the best with the restoration... hope to see more of it in the days to come.
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 18:10   #95
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,457
Thanked: 3,614 Times
Default

wow! this bring back memories!

Ambassador Mark II (1972 model) was the first car in our family. my dad bought it second had from Coimbatore in 1984. i still remember the number - MDM 4239! this is the car in which i learnt driving when i was all of 13yrs old! it had a side-shifter (don't know what to call it), not the floor one which is seen in the newer models.

we also had a Mark IV, which we later acquired for our company in the mid 90's, again from Coimbatore - TDS 5719! man, i loved these cars!

@jeepster09: all the best on the restoration mate! can't wait to see the final product!
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 21:51   #96
BHPian
 
jeepster09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Unless your car had been modded before, by someone who didn't have the time to find the "original grill" i would think that the initial pics would be the way they came out of the factory? pls do correct me with the correct info.
Hi,

Thanks for your kind interest.

The car is Mark II model and was externally changed to resemble a Mark 4. The initial photos show the car with a Mark IV grille and the indicators lamps of Mark III. The holes in the body panel were done to accomodate the mark III indicator lamps.

Further it was the other way round, people changed their earlier model fittings like the grille,dashboard and other cosmetic parts with the later model versions to maybe own the latest cars or for conveinence sake !!

Based on the engine,bumpers and manufacture date,the advice and help from the amby gurus on this forum, I have concluded that the car is Mark II model.

@ IronH4WK - Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards,
Sanat
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 00:00   #97
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune, Bahrain
Posts: 438
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your kind interest.

The car is Mark II model and was externally changed to resemble a Mark 4. The initial photos show the car with a Mark IV grille and the indicators lamps of Mark III. The holes in the body panel were done to accomodate the mark III indicator lamps.

Further it was the other way round, people changed their earlier model fittings like the grille,dashboard and other cosmetic parts with the later model versions to maybe own the latest cars or for conveinence sake !!

Based on the engine,bumpers and manufacture date,the advice and help from the amby gurus on this forum, I have concluded that the car is Mark II model.

@ IronH4WK - Thanks for your kind comments.

Regards,
Sanat
Thanks for the info. i guess in my eagerness to go through the thread and see where you had reached i may have slipped the part where you mentioned the above.
Thanks once again. Hope to see more updates soon now since the rains have 'almost' gone away.
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 22:36   #98
BHPian
 
jeepster09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration

Guys,

Sorry for the long delay in updates,actually had a hard time with getting the painters to start the work. The painter has now started the work !!!

Finally something to update here. The first set of cleaning the metal and first spray of red oxide.

Some photos. Hope the work progresses now.

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-paint-1.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-paint-2.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-paint-3.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-paint-4.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-paint-5.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-paint-6.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-paint-7.jpg
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 21:09   #99
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,703 Times
Default Re: Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration

Good news jeepster09. The Amby seems to on its way limping back to normal health.
The rear left wheel disc is post 1990/91 from the Nova or the later ISZ.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 22:22   #100
BHPian
 
jeepster09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Good news jeepster09. The Amby seems to on its way limping back to normal health.
The rear left wheel disc is post 1990/91 from the Nova or the later ISZ.
Thanks, Anjan.

Yeah, its been limping only,the way things have progressed . I have bought two wheel discs from Chor Bazar to replace them.
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 22:12   #101
BHPian
 
maheshramaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore or Bengaluru!!
Posts: 277
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration

Hi jeepster09,

Where is the restoration reached....is it complete? Pls. post the pics and as well the full cost of restoration pls. Can't wait to see the finished product!
maheshramaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 23:43   #102
BHPian
 
jeepster09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Hi jeepster09,

Where is the restoration reached....is it complete? Pls. post the pics and as well the full cost of restoration pls. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for your interest. Actually am facing trouble with the painting work. The painter has fallen sick now and hence the work was on standstill. The work has again been started yesterday, lets hope now it does not stop.

Meanwhile I have given the bumper,handles and some other parts for chroming. I gave the Mark II headlight rings first to the guy for sample basis and have attached a photo of the before and after chroming stages.

Some photos of the car painting work.

Regards

Name:  amby restore 79.jpg
Views: 4042
Size:  51.6 KB

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-80.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-81.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-82.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-83.jpg
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 00:03   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
chanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: APX to AP 29
Posts: 1,481
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration

I see the chroming/nickel work is good enough though there are few pits inside due to rust taken place before the chroming, after chroming those rust pockets show up.

Please paint the back side of the headlamp rims, front grille, bumpers etc either with yellow oxide or silver paint to save the metal from further deterioration as it is usually left bare. Wishing you a speedy restoration, now that the painter is well and the season is also right am sure the car will come up well. All the best.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 08:18   #104
BHPian
 
jeepster09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I see the chroming/nickel work is good enough though there are few pits inside due to rust taken place before the chroming, after chroming those rust pockets show up.

Please paint the back side of the headlamp rims, front grille, bumpers etc either with yellow oxide or silver paint to save the metal from further deterioration as it is usually left bare. Wishing you a speedy restoration, now that the painter is well and the season is also right am sure the car will come up well. All the best.
Thanks, Chanu.

The pits are as the metal had rust points which could not be made smooth as there was a risk of the metal giving away and developing holes in the process.

Will follow your instruction of getting the inner sides painted to prevent rust.

Regards,
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 18:55   #105
BHPian
 
priyadarshan.b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 225
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration

Hey Jeepster, this is great thread. I have very nice memories of Amby from my childhood. One of my uncles was a big Govt. Officer who had an old white Amby, probably from 80's. I have had long rides in that car. It actually feels like you are gliding above the road and not driving on the road.. It was just amazing. Wish i could own that beautiful car. All the best for your restoration. Eager to see the final outcome. I hope that the painter keeps fit now and finishes your job soon.
priyadarshan.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1970 Vespa - Restoration of a Wasp! EDIT: Restored Pics on Page 4 hillram Post-War 101 5th May 2017 22:25
Mark 1 Ambassador Naren4140 Post-War 49 30th January 2014 22:52
1970 VW Beetle Restoration - Delivered PAVAN KADAM Post-War 48 29th December 2013 12:17
Wanted Ambassador Mark 1 Steeroid Shifting gears 24 20th February 2009 16:59
1985 Ambassador mark 4 NMM Modifications & Accessories 4 18th December 2007 02:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks