Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 13th March 2011, 20:03   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hey Jeepster, this is great thread. I have very nice memories of Amby from my childhood. One of my uncles was a big Govt. Officer who had an old white Amby, probably from 80's. I have had long rides in that car. It actually feels like you are gliding above the road and not driving on the road.. It was just amazing. Wish i could own that beautiful car. All the best for your restoration. Eager to see the final outcome. I hope that the painter keeps fit now and finishes your job soon.
Hi Priyadarshan,

Thanks for your kind remarks. Yeah, I too have similar and strong childhood memories of riding in Ambassadors and Jeeps, as some of my close relatives were govt officers / engineers and so we had our fair share of these rides.

In fact these memories are the inspiration behind owning and restoration of the car. The Amby has an very powerful image in the mind and hence always wanted to own one.

I am too waiting eagerly to see the fully restored car and hope thats is soon possible.

Regards,
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 12:09   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
Hi Priyadarshan,

Thanks for your kind remarks. Yeah, I too have similar and strong childhood memories of riding in Ambassadors and Jeeps, as some of my close relatives were govt officers / engineers and so we had our fair share of these rides.

In fact these memories are the inspiration behind owning and restoration of the car. The Amby has an very powerful image in the mind and hence always wanted to own one.

I am too waiting eagerly to see the fully restored car and hope thats is soon possible.

Regards,
Hi, this is a bit off topic but i am asking this out of curiosity. Is it possible to get a Mark1 or 2 for 35-40k, spend another 70-80k or so to restore completely? I guess ambassador is very comfortable for long travels. So how does the original BMC OHV engine perform at frequent use or long highway drives?

Priyadarshan
priyadarshan.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 14:28   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyadarshan.b View Post
Hi, this is a bit off topic but i am asking this out of curiosity. Is it possible to get a Mark1 or 2 for 35-40k, spend another 70-80k or so to restore completely? I guess ambassador is very comfortable for long travels. So how does the original BMC OHV engine perform at frequent use or long highway drives?

Priyadarshan
Hi, Priyadarshan,

The answer to the first part is yes, you can get a decently restored car for around 1.25 lacs ( car + parts + repairs ). The only thing you need to make sure is that the car has a relatively good body so that you spend less on the body panels and welder labour. The engine you will need to revamp completely and here you may not be able to avoid the costs of parts and labour involved.

The second part I am not sure as I have not got the opportunity to use since it is under restoration since almost last one year. But I do intend to try and use it for long drives of say 90-100 kms or so.

Maybe our amby gurus, Dr. Anjan, Rajeev and other experts can comment on the performance.

Regards,
Old 20th March 2011, 12:07   #109
BHPian

The painting is proceeding at the snail's pace, nevertheless some photos.

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-90.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-91.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-92.jpg
Old 20th March 2011, 13:19   #110
Senior - BHPian

"Slow and steady wins the race" must be in your painters mind. How about the engine bay, does these beauties come with those sky blue engine with black head cap, all black inside. I guess its the time to ask your painter to apply Zinc primer inside the car, floor etc I did a mistake by not doing it on to my jeep which I am doing now. All the very best on your car and eager to see your car complete.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 14:06   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
"Slow and steady wins the race" must be in your painters mind. How about the engine bay, does these beauties come with those sky blue engine with black head cap, all black inside. I guess its the time to ask your painter to apply Zinc primer inside the car, floor etc I did a mistake by not doing it on to my jeep which I am doing now. All the very best on your car and eager to see your car complete.
Thanks, Bala.

The engine bay will be painted black and the head cap will be black too.

I did speak to the painter on painting the inside of the car and giving it a coat of protective primer now. Will check on my next visit.

I wanted to paint the engine block too, but the painters are not very keen to do that !!

Would like advise on what type of color is suited for this purpose ?

Thanks & Regards,
Old 20th March 2011, 23:59   #112
Senior - BHPian

Had I been in your place I will insist on yellow primer because I had my part of pain as my jeep which started showing signs of rusting inside the tool box, underneath the mudgaurds etc. Thanks to my good luck that I have seen it ontime and got into action. I personally painted the entire tub, mudgaurd, tool box with double coat primer and then a thick coat of body colour paint (Aspa brand).

My advice is see if it is possible to brush the zinc priemer as it will create thick coat and would be effective however I am not an expert in this but I also have a opnion that the spray would cover all the corners and evenly.

Jeepster what colour would the car be and what are your plans for the upholstery? the colour the pattern?
Old 21st March 2011, 00:16   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
Thanks, Bala.

The engine bay will be painted black and the head cap will be black too.

I did speak to the painter on painting the inside of the car and giving it a coat of protective primer now. Will check on my next visit.

I wanted to paint the engine block too, but the painters are not very keen to do that !!

Would like advise on what type of color is suited for this purpose ?

Thanks & Regards,
Right now, it seems that your painter has used OIL PUTTY.

From now on use this method. Its going to give you THE BEST results.

Day 1.
1) Sand down the OIL PUTTY

2) Check the Bodyline

3) Spray Dupont 888 surfacer (Rs. 1300/- per litre kit, you may need a litre )

Day.2
4) Dull the surface

5) Check the Spots if any

6) Cover the spots with Dupont TUBE PUTTY (Rs. 468/- per tube)

7) Sand it down

8) Check for any undulations (You will not have any infact)

Day.3
9) Spray 2K or Dupont base coat

10) Dull the surface

11) Spray the First coat of final paint ( Use Low Emission (LE) paints and try using Dupont Super paint kit - Long lasting, gives a great lusture ) You may need 1.25 ltrs - Rs 1750 - Rs. 2100/- per litre)
MAKE SURE YOUR PAINTER DOES NOT MIX ANY THINNER WITH THE PAINT. IT HAS TO BE SPRAYED DIRECT MIX WITH EXACT QUANTITY OF HARDNER

12) Complete the remaining 2 coats of final paint and let it dry overnite

This method not only gives a great finish, but lasts longer too.

For the inner part of doors and underchassis and wheel arches. Use 3M antirust coating ( Rs 475/- per litre) You may need 2 ltrs.

For the engine, its usually Racing Green or Racing Blue, Ask the paint shop guy for the engine paint, he will be the right one to give you the right paint.

All the Best.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 00:27   #114
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Pavan for the details, now that's what I call the process. This will be helpfull for many restorers.
Old 21st March 2011, 19:27   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pavan for the details, now that's what I call the process. This will be helpfull for many restorers.
Pavan,

Thanks a lot for your detailed guidance of process. I will get the painter to work on the car as per these instructions.

Thanks again.

@Chanu,

The color is going to be black and the inside upholstery will be white in colour. The seats are ok and will use them post thorough cleaning and some polishing.

The door insides are ok in good condition and hence will retain them.

Regards,
Old 22nd March 2011, 01:05   #116
Senior - BHPian

That should make it look a stunner, and you said the interiors are white that makes it a cool combo. I love amby with black and chrome combination and the best part is the Mark II head lamp rims, numberplate lights, front grille they make the car a President's car even today no car attracts the attention which a Army's black amby would do with those steel wheel caps and chrome number plate.
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:52   #117
BHPian

Quote:
That should make it look a stunner, and you said the interiors are white that makes it a cool combo. I love amby with black and chrome combination and the best part is the Mark II head lamp rims, numberplate lights, front grille they make the car a President's car even today no car attracts the attention which a Army's black amby would do with those steel wheel caps and chrome number plate.
Thanks, Bala.

I too love the black and chrome combination on these classic cars a lot. The black ambys of the Army are a real treat for the eyes. And the superb condition that they are always maintained, makes them a sight to behold for crazy amby fans like us .
Old 24th March 2011, 09:45   #118
BHPian

Hey Pavan!

Thanks for the detailed painting process. A bit off topic, but just wanted to know if this same procedure applies to 118NE as well? Asking this because it is more prone to rusting.

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 19:26   #119
BHPian

Some more photos after the surfacer coat.

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-93.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-94.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-95.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-96.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-97.jpg
Old 2nd April 2011, 01:21   #120
BHPian

The car is taking a shape with this colour.. The surface looks pretty neat with this coat.. I am sure the Ambassador will look grand when the final coat of black is applied..
priyadarshan.b is offline   Reply With Quote