Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 10:12   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 3,491 Times
Default Acquiring a Vauxhall Wyvern 1961

Dear All,

I have been offered a Vauxhall Wyvern 1961 and i have few questions on the same. (Will upload the pics soon).

1, Availibility of parts
2, Mechanics in Hyderabad

This beauty needs a paint job and complete wiring. I have been told that most of the parts are intact, this beauty was used till 1998. It is presently lying in a garage in Gulbarga.(North Karnataka).

Awating your comments/Suggestions.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 10:31   #2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,642
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

There is a vauxhall-wyvern being restored in Hyderabad. Go through this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...n-project.html
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 11:13   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 3,491 Times
Default

Thanks Arun1100.

I will get in touch with Bluestraveller.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 12:39   #4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore Cantonment
Posts: 1,642
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Thanks Arun1100.

I will get in touch with Bluestraveller.
Stanher is restoring it. So contact him.
arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 16:06   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Thanks Arun1100.

I will get in touch with Bluestraveller.
It is actually our dear friend Shyam aka Stanher who is to be contacted on this as he is restoring the car for bluestraveller.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 16:28   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 3,491 Times
Default

Thanks Wasif Bhai. I have sent a pm to Shyam.
Awating his reply.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 00:06   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
chanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: APX to AP 29
Posts: 1,481
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Welcome Silverwood on board, nice to see another Hyderabadi on the forum. Have you checked the car physically. Upload the picture so experts can give you a right directon. As in all the other classic availability of parts has never been off the shelf in most of the cases its chasing, perceverance and most important patience is required. wish you good luck.

Hey wasif, its been long time sir we have seen you on the forum. Yes absolutely for this car I can say Shyam aka Stanher is the guru. Wasif Hope you do drop in regularly.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 01:31   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Dear All,

I have been offered a Vauxhall Wyvern 1961 and i have few questions on the same. (Will upload the pics soon).

1, Availibility of parts
2, Mechanics in Hyderabad

This beauty needs a paint job and complete wiring. I have been told that most of the parts are intact, this beauty was used till 1998. It is presently lying in a garage in Gulbarga.(North Karnataka).

Awating your comments/Suggestions.
Hi Silverwood,

First things first, check out the tax arrears and the price of the car.

1).Now, getting parts for old british cars is reletively easier than any other car if you have the correct sources but they cost more because everything in England is more expensive than any where else in the world.So, if you are looking to do the car to complete concourse condition then that is possible with the availability of every part you would every require but then again you have the price factor.The other plus point is you can get good second hand parts at a reasonable price.


2).Well i really can't comment on the Mechanics in Hydrabad but you could take either Shyam or D.K.G's help to find some good mechanics.

3).Seing that the car is being lying for more than 10 years now there would be quite a bit of body work required which you will only come to know once you have seen the car. Apart from paint and wiring you have to do things like the brakes, chrome plating & Suspension. You may also have to rebuild the engine, replace the clutch plate and pressure plates & upholstry, depending upon the condition of these things. These are the minimum things you should be looking to do if you are planning to get the car into concourse condition, apart from this if you have other problems they would have to be looked into.

Looking forward to seing the pics soon.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 6th May 2010 at 01:34.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 09:33   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 3,491 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Welcome Silverwood on board, nice to see another Hyderabadi on the forum. Have you checked the car physically. Upload the picture so experts can give you a right directon. As in all the other classic availability of parts has never been off the shelf in most of the cases its chasing, perceverance and most important patience is required. wish you good luck.

Hey wasif, its been long time sir we have seen you on the forum. Yes absolutely for this car I can say Shyam aka Stanher is the guru. Wasif Hope you do drop in regularly.
Thanks Chanu for your comments.I will upload the pics over the weekend
I have contacted Stanher for the same.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 09:42   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BANG-A-LURE.
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 3,491 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hi Silverwood,

First things first, check out the tax arrears and the price of the car.

1).Now, getting parts for old british cars is reletively easier than any other car if you have the correct sources but they cost more because everything in England is more expensive than any where else in the world.So, if you are looking to do the car to complete concourse condition then that is possible with the availability of every part you would every require but then again you have the price factor.The other plus point is you can get good second hand parts at a reasonable price.



2).Well i really can't comment on the Mechanics in Hydrabad but you could take either Shyam or D.K.G's help to find some good mechanics.

3).Seing that the car is being lying for more than 10 years now there would be quite a bit of body work required which you will only come to know once you have seen the car. Apart from paint and wiring you have to do things like the brakes, chrome plating & Suspension. You may also have to rebuild the engine, replace the clutch plate and pressure plates & upholstry, depending upon the condition of these things. These are the minimum things you should be looking to do if you are planning to get the car into concourse condition, apart from this if you have other problems they would have to be looked into.

Looking forward to seing the pics soon.
Dear IndrojitSircar,

Thanks for your comments.

I have been told that the engine is up and running. The owner said that paint and wiring is immediately required, he has already purchased a new battery.

I will upload the pics over this weekend.

Thanks again for your comments.

Silverwood (Waseem)
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 11:36   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Silverwood.

Do put up some pics of the car.

Chanu

I am around most every day but off late there wasn't much happening here except people shooting canonballs around !
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 14:03   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Dear IndrojitSircar,

Thanks for your comments.

I have been told that the engine is up and running. The owner said that paint and wiring is immediately required, he has already purchased a new battery.

I will upload the pics over this weekend.

Thanks again for your comments.

Silverwood (Waseem)
Hi Waseem,

If the engine is up and running that doesn't mean that you may not have to rebuild the engine, you have to also see in what condition the engine is running at i.e. is it giving any smoke and if it is then what colour is the smoke.That will also determine if you need to rebuild the engine.

Looking forward to the pics.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Vauxhall Wyvern Project bluestraveller Post-War 142 8th March 2013 20:29
Acquiring a Fiat 1100 Delight hillram Post-War 99 25th February 2010 23:41
Help Needed in acquiring RoadKing 95 Model double Motorbikes 2 23rd March 2009 21:55
Acquiring a 1978 Toyota Corolla Hi-Delux hillram Luxury, Imports & Niche 8 23rd September 2008 13:16
Acquiring D.L with vision in one eye swiper Shifting gears 6 3rd April 2006 13:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks