Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 29th May 2010, 17:23   #1

Lightbulb Modernising a Fiat 1100D!!

Spent almost 3hrs with my Fiat 1100D which got me thinking - how about modernising the mechanicals -
1. Drivetrain - custom lightweight flywheel, driveshaft, axles, differetial etc...
2. Brakes - entire system replacement so as to have front discs and rear drums or better discs on all four.

Before I get deeper into my flight of fantasy, have a few questions
1. Is this practically possible?
2. Would it be possible to do this whilst retaining the engine and gearbox?
Kinshuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 18:55   #2
BANNED

Here is a 1969 Fiat 1100 Delight belongs to a FCB member Mr. Ananth.

Nissan Engine
Power Steering
Power Windows
Disk Brakes
Imported seats
Alloy wheels
etc!

Can you post some pics of your car?
Attached Images

arun1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 19:00   #3
BANNED

The workmanship on this car is just superb.

But its not a Fiat by heart.

Why exactly do you want to modernize your Fiat? FYI the same 1089 engines were used by Ferrari for racing. Modernizing such exotic classics is not really recommended. If modernized, then whats the difference between a Fiat 1100 and a new gen car like a Alto!
Sujith1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 20:45   #4

Im not looking to change the appearance, also would like to stick to the same engine, gearbox and steering (no power steering & windows).
The reason why Im looking at modernising bits and pieces is availability of spares in the long run. From what I understand replacing:
1. Drivetrain with newer and lighter components will result in better performance.
2. Old brake system will mean better braking and availability of spares in longer run - as at present I have to get brake shoes custom made & there are issues with leaking wheel cylinders.
3. Radiator & fan with an electric one - i presume an electric fan would reduce load on the engine as at present the fan runs on the engine.
4. Add an AC unit (though its not a priority as its not a regular use car but still to be drivable in 9 out of 10 months a car needs an AC)

Here are some picture of my car - its a 1967 Model Fiat 1100 Delight

Kinshuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 22:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
But its not a Fiat by heart.

Why exactly do you want to modernize your Fiat? FYI the same 1089 engines were used by Ferrari for racing. Modernizing such exotic classics is not really recommended. If modernized, then whats the difference between a Fiat 1100 and a new gen car like a Alto!
but only with respect to the 1100s (and at the most Presidents! )

If its a reasonably later model, say an 80s padmini, then (IMHO) nothing wrong (and maybe nothing like it too!) in taking a shot at modding it to something like even the above car for eg.! In any case, padminis are far more common because of their larger numbers, and also dont really come into a category like "classic" or "vintage", they also come cheaper. Yet they are also, at the same time, more or less fiat if you specifically want a fiat.

But if I had a 1100D, I'd rather keep it original; even if its not with the original fittings, I'd salvage and collect them to fit onto the car when resurrecting it as these cars are diminishing in number, and truly original cars of this type are getting hard to find- the fact that some of the Fiat guys are resorting to "delight" and "president" their padminis are a proof of that!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 22:56   #6
BHPian

I do not want to comment on originality or intent of doing this fabulous job. I would love to have a car like this for city runs. its a head turner and can be a good second car. I would have liked it more if it had less stickering and non red interiors. In otherwords, more executive and less sporty.
Nevertheless, its a great job. I love moded fiats. I have seen some of them about a decade ago. Not in the recent past. Can you do something about the console ?
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 23:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

I completely agree with Shyam.

If I had to modernize a Fiat, I'd choose a relatively new Padmini, and change only a few mechanical bits to make life a wee bt easier. If it was to be a daily runner (I'd LOVE that. ), I would probably add an aircon.

The engine however, would remain unchanged. The 1089 cc roar is so "FIAT" at heart, I'd not settle for anything else. Modern engines are clinically efficient to the point of being sterile, sometimes.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 00:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post

Nissan Engine
Power Steering
Power Windows
Disk Brakes
Imported seats
Alloy wheels
etc!

They don't seem like real discs(?)

Though well maintained, i am sure that this would be in the weird and wacky mod jobs thread, had i spotted this car. No offense meant.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 00:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the great color combination and superb quality of workmanship,that 1100 Delight looks utter rubbish to me.Whats up with that Audi 'Bulgarian Beard' grille with logo(quite visible behind that poor attempt to mask it!),NHC wing mirrors,overdone body-kit and fake brake discs?

She might be good to drive but certainly doesn't look the part.Moreover,as others have mentioned the good ol' 1100's character has been obliterated in the process!
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 00:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

the front of the fiat suerly looks very whack,although i liked the workmanship and the effort but keeping it in just a single colour would have made it took killer excluding the wide-body kit which does not suit the car.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 08:40   #11
BHPian

Being a stickler for OH REE G NAL E T, I am just imagining similar high standards of workmanship and body finish on a stock DELIGHT. VOW!

I'm sure that this AUDI FIAT is surely getting a LOT of attention in Bangy, which it definately deserves for the professional efforts put in towards the makeover.

Last edited by President : 30th May 2010 at 08:44.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 08:46   #12
BANNED

The owner of this Audi Fiat loves his Fiat a lot. The mechanic who restored this Delight, has been taking care of this car right from beginning!

The Fiat was modified to this extent just because of his love towards this Fiat. He too regrets for having put the Audi grill after i showed him some of the posts of Team Bhp.

Hopefully the front grille will be changed soon!
Old 30th May 2010, 08:47   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Nissan Engine
Power Steering
Power Windows
Disk Brakes
Imported seats
Alloy wheels
etc!

That is not a disk brake, but fake rotors.
Is that Audi emblem on the grill which you have hidden in the photo?

Not a fan of the design of this car, but looks nicely executed and well maintained.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 08:49   #14
BANNED

Yes I agree its not disk brakes. It has a Audi grill. I have hidden it just not to hurt the sentiments of Fiat lovers.
Old 30th May 2010, 09:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I agree its not disk brakes. It has a Audi grill. I have hidden it just not to hurt the sentiments of Fiat lovers.
even the disk brakes can also be fixed to fiats.. dont know for what reason Mr.Ananth used just disks without calipers. i feel he is ok with original drums.
Karthik1100 is offline   Reply With Quote