Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 6th August 2010, 11:48   #1
BHPian

Default Willys 1955 Hold on or Move on

Hi All,

This is my first post in the Vintage section.
I have been the proud owner of my Willys 1955 Jeep.
Am contemplating to Keep it or sell it now, reason my house owner is back from US & furious that my Jeep has left marks everywhere.
We stay on the 1st floor & the owner on ground floor though i can understand his concern what about mine ?????
We are also looking @ moving from the present house but parking has always been a problem with 2 cars and a Jeep.
As usual parents were & are not happy with me coz of my Jeep.

Request people on this forum to suggest if i should keep the jeep rent a shed in the same area for parking or sell it & move on.

By the way since we used to stay in a main road earlier with lot of traffic i used to get a lot of enquirers if its for sale with offers ranging from 50,000 to 5,00,000 the best offer from a lady who wanted to gift it to her husband.

Not sure if the Jeep is all that worth though.
Here are a few pics -

Its a 1955 CJ3B
Low Bonnet
Has all accessories - Axe, Shovel, Jerry Can & Gun Rack which i recently got but not fitted on Jeep.
The Jeep when i bought was converted to diesel with a Peuego engine endorsed in the RC Book.

Req. all vintage lovers to kindly advice--

Regards,
Kumar
capturekumar@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Willys 1955 Hold on or Move on-front.jpg  

Willys 1955 Hold on or Move on-left.jpg  

Willys 1955 Hold on or Move on-top.jpg  

Willys 1955 Hold on or Move on-back.jpg  

Willys 1955 Hold on or Move on-grill.jpg  

Willys 1955 Hold on or Move on-intfront.jpg  

Attached Images

catchkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 11:58   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, quite a lovely jeep in quite a good condition. Got a bit of rusting, but overall seems fine externally. The meter console is also quite nice.

My suggestion - keep it - if required is a seperate covered garage.

The rusting needs to be taken care of but more importantly you need to use it a bit, and if you are indeed using this then the question would not have arrisen.

For most it is hard to keep a third car maintained and keeping it because one loves ones vechile is not possible unless there is place to spare.

Keep or sell to a true lover.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 12:02   #3
BHPian

hwy kumar, nice jeep you got there. im not an expert on jeeps but i dont think you or anyone for that matter should base their decision to sell a vehicle based on a landlords or parents feelings. you can change your llord; but not your folks but then kids were put on this earth to make their folks unhappy . theyll get over it, keep the JEEP, to hell with the llord.. mud plug forever.
howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 12:34   #4
BHPian

Default Don't Sell it

Hi CatchKumar,

You have got a awesome looking jeep, i can drool at it forever. It has a slot for winch as well, so were you planning to install one?

You have a prized possesion on your hands, so do what ever but dont sell it!. In case, if you have to please post it on TBHP calssified section and sell it to a 4x4 enthusiast, their would be lot of takers for it.

Once again you have a marvellous piece in your hand. If you sell it you might never be able to fetch one later or will have to pay from you nose for it
4x4 cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 12:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Wow, quite a lovely jeep in quite a good condition. Got a bit of rusting, but overall seems fine externally. The meter console is also quite nice.

My suggestion - keep it - if required is a seperate covered garage.

The rusting needs to be taken care of but more importantly you need to use it a bit, and if you are indeed using this then the question would not have arrisen.

For most it is hard to keep a third car maintained and keeping it because one loves ones vechile is not possible unless there is place to spare.

Keep or sell to a true lover.
Thanks ACM - By the way the meter console is from a Toyota LC from what i came to know & there is a little bit of rusting on the bonnet edges apart from that i have seen no problems. I recently got it serviced & got the 4x4 shaft which was missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
hwy kumar, nice jeep you got there. im not an expert on jeeps but i dont think you or anyone for that matter should base their decision to sell a vehicle based on a landlords or parents feelings. you can change your llord; but not your folks but then kids were put on this earth to make their folks unhappy . theyll get over it, keep the JEEP, to hell with the llord.. mud plug forever.
Thanks Howler trust me as you said its not just me but all the kids around my house & my cousins love the jeep & i use it every weekend to give joy ride for all of them.

This decision is much tougher for me since this is my first 4 wheeler i bought with my hard earned money working in a BPO in god forsaken shifts & all the hard work in finding this beauty for over 6 months riding on Bangalore streets with drowsy eyes & sleepless days.
Old 6th August 2010, 13:24   #6
BANNED

See Kumar,

Though its not a pure Low Bonnet (Dont flame me for this) As said earlier somewhere , this jeep must be from Hyderabad or Shimoga(Though shimoga jeeps are not made this good).

Selling or keeping it is purely your decision.

Its a lovely piece, but if its spoiling peace at home, GIVE IT AWAY......!
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 13:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Guess I should watch this thread - BTW, how much are you looking at to sell it for?

Maybe PM is the best way?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 13:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Kumar Dont sell it.

I have replied to your other thread as well.Please read it.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 6th August 2010 at 13:43. Reason: Edit
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 14:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 cruiser View Post
Hi CatchKumar,

You have got a awesome looking jeep, i can drool at it forever. It has a slot for winch as well, so were you planning to install one?

You have a prized possesion on your hands, so do what ever but dont sell it!. In case, if you have to please post it on TBHP calssified section and sell it to a 4x4 enthusiast, their would be lot of takers for it.

Once again you have a marvellous piece in your hand. If you sell it you might never be able to fetch one later or will have to pay from you nose for it
Hi Cruiser,
Thanks for your comments, the winch slot came as is when i bought the jeep & i have'nt made any mods so far.
I completely agree with you on paying a premium if i have to buy it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
See Kumar,

Though its not a pure Low Bonnet (Dont flame me for this) As said earlier somewhere , this jeep must be from Hyderabad or Shimoga(Though shimoga jeeps are not made this good).

Selling or keeping it is purely your decision.

Its a lovely piece, but if its spoiling peace at home, GIVE IT AWAY......!
No Flames on not being a pure low bonnet Pavan, its only a burning sensation @ the thought of giving it away. :-(
In my 4x4 thread i have also mentioned the same sorry for missing it out here but its a heart over head matter for me however the truth remains.
It is from Hyderabad & the Jeep is still on 1st Owner in RC with form 29 30 signed. The original owner was from Dodaballpur who picked it from the Hyd Military campus & got it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Guess I should watch this thread - BTW, how much are you looking at to sell it for?

Maybe PM is the best way?
Keeping my fingers crossed but... i really don't know which way it will turn as of now its leaning on the sell side due to pressure @ home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Kumar Dont sell it.

I have replied to your other thread as well.Please read it.
Thanks a lot for the offer Waseem you are a GEM.
For the time being i have spoken to a few friends / relatives & Santosh who have offered to help & i might get some parking in an apartment for the time being.
However the need for a permanent solution still remains.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 6th August 2010, 15:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
Thanks a lot for the offer Waseem you are a GEM.
For the time being i have spoken to a few friends / relatives & Santosh who have offered to help & i might get some parking in an apartment for the time being.
However the need for a permanent solution still remains.

Regards,
Kumar
Good to know that you have found a temporary home for this beauty.

Even i had to face the wrath from my family when i bought it. This will subside in due course of time.

Let me know if i can be of any help to you.

Regards,

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 15:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi Catch Kumar!

I know your jeep from other thread and its really sad to know that you are inclining to sell the Jeep, and again happy to know you have got a temporary shelter for the Jeep which I pray should help the jeep to be with you forever, I can understand how you must be feeling about the jeep which you have brough with great efforts and hard earned money. I also have a similar kind of jeep.

I can only say please think wise and decide before you loose the jeep which you may not find it again, I know how it feels once you have sold your peice of heart and later even you can buy you may not find one, even if you find it may not give you the same feel as the earlier one did.

All the very best and wish you your jeep with you.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 17:33   #12
BHPian

Hi Kumar,

Try sourcing cardboard boxes from new fridges/TV's, open and spread them out on the ground and park the jeep over them. It will look a bit shabby though. You can also use tarpaulin/plastic sheets durings the rains. This is what i used to do when my bikes used to leak oil all over the place!

Cheers!
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2010, 00:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Oil leakage could not happen at all the places it could be from housing, gearbox or from engine, spot the leakages and try fixing it with pakage etc that would be one time solution. Even after that the leakage continues try using gunny bags folded and keep it where the jeep is leaking oil the bag will absorb the oil.

Another issue with these jeeps is the exhaust as they tend to blacken the walls of house/garage it did happen with me. I used to park the jeep close to the gate and fortunately I have a slope where I need not start I just give a push and the jeep is out of house and then no worrk start and Vrooom!! Vroom !! amma happy me happy.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:08   #14
BHPian

Thank you all for your advice & suggestions. (Chanu, James, Waseem, silverwood, pavan, ACM, Howler, header, 4x4 Crawler...)
The Jeep has found a parking space for now with cardboard boxes under its belly to avoid oil stains on the floor.
For now i have convinced my parents & they are fine i keep it except that it needs to be used. So thank you all once again for all the help & moral support without which the jeep would have been found on the Classified section.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 16th August 2010, 23:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
Thank you all for your advice & suggestions. (Chanu, James, Waseem, silverwood, pavan, ACM, Howler, header, 4x4 Crawler...)
The Jeep has found a parking space for now with cardboard boxes under its belly to avoid oil stains on the floor.
For now i have convinced my parents & they are fine i keep it except that it needs to be used. So thank you all once again for all the help & moral support without which the jeep would have been found on the Classified section.

Regards,
Kumar
Come on! Kumar why are we friends meant for. Classic machines are brought/made/restored with great difficulties, efforts, intrests not to end at a classified section or with a dealer, I know some weak moments sprung up but I am extremely happy that you have taken a appropriate decision to have the Willie with you (thats what i named my jeep), wish you many many more years with it. Just to share my feelings its been 3 months "Willie" be out of home for resto and I am eagerly waiting for him (addressing as "him" as I believe Jeeps does not fall under feminine gender but they make the female genders to fall in love with them). Just another couple of weeks I am on a "War Head" shelling loads of Happiness and Fun.

Last edited by chanu : 16th August 2010 at 23:53.