Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 16th April 2011, 08:02   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!

Shyam,

One quick question, how do we clean the petrol tank. My tank may also have some rust inside. with caustic soda??

By the way I bought 2 Liters of rustolene (which is phosphoric acid based) for underchassis rust removing.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 08:46   #137
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for interrupting in between but i guess one way to clean the petrol tank is by Electrolysis. Here is a link to a DIY tank cleaning
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-proofing.html (Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing)

BTW Manish bhai hows the restoration progressing. No updates since long time.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 00:07   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
BTW i really liked those retro oil tins, period.
Thank sagar. Yup, so do I. So will never remove them from in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Shyam,
One quick question, how do we clean the petrol tank. My tank may also have some rust inside. with caustic soda??

By the way I bought 2 Liters of rustolene (which is phosphoric acid based) for underchassis rust removing.
Sorry manish but I'm yet to see in detail how its done! :(

I hear from most of them say that they clean it with "acid"...now I suspect they just use the word 'acid' very loosely, might be even for caustic soda for all we know!

Incidentally, am now also going to get my Pennant's tank cleaned- its got quite murky inside as well. This I'll do once I'm fully recovered, so will go take a sneak peek at what they do/how they do it.

Continuing from my last post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Now here comes a new challenge- I'd got the clutch MC kit changed with a new one (GIRLING UK) recently but my mech. found that the clutch pedal wasnt working- went straight in on depressing! So on opening up the m.cylinder (again!), it was found that the piston inside has gone...ironically after the cylinder was rebuilt with the brand new kit! :sigh:

'will see if a new piston is available else will try fabricating one (made of metal) but thankfully nothing wrong with the kit!
Fortunately a new piston and what looks like a pushrod for it could both be obtained at the local spares shop so they're now in and the worn ones out (seen in pic.), now M.cylinder's fitted back and ready to function. But am not in a position to test it immediately! :(

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8670.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8669.jpg

Next on agenda is the accelerator- I had the 'alteration' non-original throttle rod removed for the clutch m.cylinder work but now that that's done I'm now trying to eliminate it for good and bring back the OHH REE GEE NAL throttle cable system, but for that I need to replace the 'shutter' assembly of the carb with the original one (right now its got a fiat one fitted). Trying for it.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 07:03   #139
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Shyam,
One quick question, how do we clean the petrol tank. My tank may also have some rust inside.
One way is the get small ball bearings and a 1-2 liters of diesel. Put the ball bearings and diesel in the tank and give it a proper shake up. The ball bearings will dislodge the rust. Repeat the process till satisfied. This may not work satisfactorily if the tank is extremely rusted.

Hope this helps

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 08:38   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - please look very carefully at how the Herald accelerator cable operates. In this case, the outer cable actuates the throttle plate, the inner cable is held on a bracket attached to one of the cylinder head mounting studs. It is a masterstroke of design / packaging but very few people know about it. The cable itself is simple to make. Use the Maruti Van cable to derive the correct length and orientation. There is only one way to clean a fuel tank. Cut a hole in it big enough to insert your hand, actually scrape / clean everything and weld it again in place. I had done it for my Standard 10 in 1979 so I know how difficult it is but there is no other way.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 09:15   #141
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
One way is the get small ball bearings and a 1-2 liters of diesel. Put the ball bearings and diesel in the tank and give it a proper shake up. The ball bearings will dislodge the rust. Repeat the process till satisfied. This may not work satisfactorily if the tank is extremely rusted.

Hope this helps

Cheers

KPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam - please look very carefully at how the Herald accelerator cable operates. In this case, the outer cable actuates the throttle plate, the inner cable is held on a bracket attached to one of the cylinder head mounting studs. It is a masterstroke of design / packaging but very few people know about it. The cable itself is simple to make. Use the Maruti Van cable to derive the correct length and orientation. There is only one way to clean a fuel tank. Cut a hole in it big enough to insert your hand, actually scrape / clean everything and weld it again in place. I had done it for my Standard 10 in 1979 so I know how difficult it is but there is no other way.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Why so much fuss to clean the petrol tank...?

There is a flushing fluid thats generally used for cleaning TRUCK's Radiator.

I have used them to clean almost all the fuel tanks of cars that i've restored, It works wonderfully, then i use 1 litre of petrol with 200 ml of engine oil and flush the tank again. There will be NO RUSTING ever after that.

The whole process might cost around Rs. 500/-.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 15:33   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Shyam - please look very carefully at how the Herald accelerator cable operates. In this case, the outer cable actuates the throttle plate, the inner cable is held on a bracket attached to one of the cylinder head mounting studs. It is a masterstroke of design / packaging but very few people know about it. The cable itself is simple to make. Use the Maruti Van cable to derive the correct length and orientation.
Thank you for the pointer, sir. I presume this is the bracket you're referring to (circled in the pic.)? Needless to point out, you can also see the fiat shutter assembly to which the throttle is connected.

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-canebay.jpg

Also here is a pic. of my Herald's engine bay taken around 2007, much BEFORE the accelerator was modified (and before I bought the car), where you can see the original throttle cable.

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-herald061.jpg

Reg. the cable, as I mentioned before, I have fortunately got an original one via ebay UK!!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8568.jpg

OK, continuing on the same, I was told that the local dealer does have an original assembly left!!
So once that's bought, the carb. will be taken out for it to be fitted on this week!

Quote:
Cut a hole in it big enough to insert your hand, actually scrape / clean everything and weld it again in place. I had done it for my Standard 10 in 1979 so I know how difficult it is but there is no other way.
Was this BMC1158, the green Super 10?? Bought from a Prof. Kotwal and you used it to teach driving to your colleagues? I also still remember your mention of the minor incident you had with a 'moronic taxiwala' in that car! Hehe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
There is a flushing fluid thats generally used for cleaning TRUCK's Radiator.

I have used them to clean almost all the fuel tanks of cars that i've restored, It works wonderfully, then i use 1 litre of petrol with 200 ml of engine oil and flush the tank again. There will be NO RUSTING ever after that.
Pavan, is that flushing fluid of a particular brand? If so, can you share the name?
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 15:36   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the pointer, sir. I presume this is the bracket you're referring to (circled in the pic.)? Needless to point out, you can also see the fiat shutter assembly to which the throttle is connected.

EGG ZAKT LEE! The carburettor is not M32PBIC, it is M28PBIC, remember. The outer cable holding bracket is a part of the carburettor.

Was this BMC1158, the green Super 10?? Bought from a Prof. Kotwal and you used it to teach driving to your colleagues? I also still remember your mention of the minor incident you had with a 'moronic taxiwala' in that car! Hehe!
EGG ZAKT LEE!

You are tempting me to try and buy a Standard Super 10 again! I am going to resist. . Dammit!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 16:27   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
EGG ZAKT LEE!

You are tempting me to try and buy a Standard Super 10 again! I am going to resist. . Dammit!
And the reason is the same time/space constraint I presume?

If you choose to resist however, I necessarily wouldnt if its decent enough (condition as well as price)

'just been going through your thread on PAL. 'made for very interesting reading, even posted there once. Although I wish I had more to contribute.
Old 20th April 2011, 20:01   #145
Senior - BHPian

Shyam came across this on Flickr, may be you can throw some light on it.
Attached Images

chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 20:36   #146
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
These are peaked dual-bulb indicators which came on early Heralds in India. Later came the flat ones. Still waiting for Shyam anna to clarify with convincing evidence
ruthvikmagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 20:59   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthvikmagal View Post
These are peaked dual-bulb indicators which came on early Heralds in India. Later came the flat ones. Still waiting for Shyam anna to clarify with convincing evidence
Ruthvik, you're absolutely right!

These came only on the early (1961-62) mk1 Heralds here. They had only plastic lenses though. The post '62 mk1 had the single-bulb 'LUCAS L595' front sidelights, as mine does.

The mk2 again had totally different, locally designed round sidelights + indicators, then on the mk3 (4-door), they reverted to the L595 ones, which were also used on all the Standard 20 LCVs as well.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:56   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Continuing on what I'd mentioned about restoring the OHH REE GEE NAL accelerator/throttle to the car, the carb was refitted today after getting the original shutter/throttle lathe-fitted and with a clean-up plus a new kit as well.

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8692.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8694.jpg

Now came a challenge when it came to connecting the accelerator cable- turned out that what I proudly thought was the original Herald cable (inner as well as outer) turned out to be too short for an original cable...so turns out it isnt a Herald cable!

My mech. reckons it could be for a Standard 10 instead so will still be of use to me. But now remains the challenge to procure the correct length cable (inner + outer) 'hope it can be!

Incidentally, got to see the now-discarded existing throttle cable (that only joined the accelerator pedal to the fabricated metal rod that was connected to the carb,), looks like it was taken from the inner gear/clutch cable of a 3-wheeler or even scooter!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8696.jpg

And...for one more bit of news, which is good as bad- I bought these used but cool period wing mirrors on ebay UK about a month ago, intending to fit them on CAN. The seller had listed them as taken off a Ford Anglia, but AFAIK, these could be fitted on more or less any car of that period.

After a long wait, which is because they happened to be checked by local Customs on arrival, they arrived today in the post.

On opening them, I thought aal izz well........until I unpacked one mirror!! Much to my horror, I doubt this could've happened in transit, I suspect it was due to the carelessness of the Customs; they had opened up the parcel and while resealing it shut, must've thrown in one of the separately included mirror stems, which would've had impact on the mirror. Or even dropped it down while taking out the stuff to examine, for all we know.

And to top it all, they charged a duty of Rs. 306/- (paid through the PO)...!

But, I was told that the mirror can be replaced without much of a hassle at a skillful repairer's so no worries for now.

I intend to get the mirrors fitted only later though, maybe after May when I'm done with my exams.

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8688.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_8690.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd April 2011 at 21:59.
Old 24th April 2011, 00:45   #149
Senior - BHPian

Now that's what I call a perfect romance with your (b)ride, good going, feeling good to see all the original stuff coming together, and some ornamants aswell, sorry for the disappointment (god! when will our customs dept, postal service get some seriousness and responsibility while rendering their duties), I am sure the mirrors can be fixed however a professional touch is required. Why is that you want to wait till May I am getting impatient please fit it on a nice sunny day and take some nice pics and post it, that's it! I will be happy.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 12:25   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why is that you want to wait till May I am getting impatient please fit it on a nice sunny day and take some nice pics and post it, that's it! I will be happy.

Bala, the answer is in my previous post itself:

Quote:
I intend to get the mirrors fitted only later though, maybe after May when I'm done with my exams.
I'll be done with them only end of May and I anyway have to get some minor cosmetic/bodywork done on the car (like closing up the 2 holes that were made in the bulkhead for fitting the altered throttle cable) and that will again require leaving the car at the garage for the welding plus touch-up etc. all of which I'm sure wont take 1 day even if its supposed to- get what I mean?

So I dont want to be distracted by anything for the next 1 month.

And not to worry, it will still be sunny even through June for us.