Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 9th September 2011, 23:35   #211
BHPian

Default Re: Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthvikmagal View Post
@basky - When I have the funds, I'll drive down my herald and you can have fun with it And the best part is the car is black
The pleasure will be mine. Took a look at the photograph of your car - body shape appears good but the paint may require extensive reworking. Hope the Rust Quotient is low. Try your hand with the paintwork in your spare time. You can improve it quite substantially with elbow grease
basky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 18:53   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I did have a thought about temporarily making it 'topless' just to be used so when(??) I get married!
Though a newbie, I have been following your threads for some time with awe. You need guts and nerves of steel to take on a restoration from what appears to be a near wreck.

Helps that you are not married. Not easy to explain to most wives that you just bought a gem of an old car. Never mind that they buy bits and pieces of metal & stone and pay fancy prices for that.

Here is a hope that you get a wonderful wife who will help you continue your life's passion.
BusyBee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 19:12   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBee View Post
Though a newbie, I have been following your threads for some time with awe. You need guts and nerves of steel to take on a restoration from what appears to be a near wreck.
I'm glad to find your appreciation! Um, by near wreck surely you don't mean my car (in this thread) btw? Because my car never was like that!
Or did you mean the other Herald, which I'm restoring?

Quote:
Helps that you are not married. Not easy to explain to most wives that you just bought a gem of an old car. Never mind that they buy bits and pieces of metal & stone and pay fancy prices for that.
Good point!! Yes indeed, worth mentioning. However, not being married, I'm not sure how easy it would be to convince them of this!

Quote:
Here is a hope that you get a wonderful wife who will help you continue your life's passion.
Doesnt matter even if she doesnt HELP me, good enough if she atleast LETS me!!

Meanwhile, finally got the nagging problem of the wheel cylinders and solenoid arrested (for now!)
Turned out that the front wheel cylinders (which had gone) were actually repaired at some point of time by a previous mechanic for the previous owner, and he had actually fitted pistons of Standard 10 wheel cylinders into these!!
He probably couldnt find an original replacement or didnt want to 'waste' time in searching out one so he took a quick-fix way out! I'm told the pistons were each held inside the cylinders (being shorter in height than the Herald ones) with an overlong spring and then the washers fitted on top! Due to this, the spring action inside the wheel cylinders was close to nil and hence the brakes wouldnt work after a period of time!

Luckily I was able to get the original pistons and wheel cylinders (and therefore front brakes) all functioning normally now!

All the more lucky that I managed to get a pair of OE NOS front wheel cylinders (only for the LEFT side though) for a decent bargain on an ebay UK auction. Arrived only yesterday so was advised by my mech. to let the newly fitted ones remain for now and will fit these only when/if I need to replace again.

Also managed to get a replacement early type solenoid. Works now so will leave it until proved guilty-er-faulty.

Still need to replace the fuel pump and do a plug n carb cleaning though, will get it done this weekend. Incidentally, we were supposed to have the World Tourism day rally on Sunday but twas cancelled thanks to the current political situation over here!!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9634.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9636.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9635.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9646.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9644.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9645.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 27th September 2011 at 19:16.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 21:16   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Um, by near wreck surely you don't mean my car (in this thread) btw? Because my car never was like that!
Or did you mean the other Herald, which I'm restoring?
The other Herald actually. Not CAN 1526.

Quote:
Good point!! Yes indeed, worth mentioning. However, not being married, I'm not sure how easy it would be to convince them of this!
Doesnt matter even if she doesnt HELP me, good enough if she atleast LETS me!!
Neither am I. But the steady will be after me with a damper - shock absorber
BusyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 20:13   #215
BHPian

isnt that solenoid the same as the one that used to come on maruti omni's?? the 1989 omni i had back in the 90's had an identical unit
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 22:15   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
isnt that solenoid the same as the one that used to come on maruti omni's?? the 1989 omni i had back in the 90's had an identical unit
Oh is it? I didnt know that! Well, in that case I guess thats good news since I can surely get a replacement easier?
Old 28th October 2011, 21:27   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Back after quite long!

Nothing major to report as yet.....but there will be, soon! So watch this space- this is going to be a real surprise!

Meanwhile, a few goodies I got for CAN courtesy ebay UK: a nice STANDARD keyring. Even better than the previous one I had. And a nice but slightly weathered wing/door mirror. Unfortunately only one I got so contemplating fitting it on the driver's door rather than the front wing/bonnet.

And, more recently, an OE locking petrol tank cap, which was never used on the Indian Heralds but was on the UK ones. Arrived in the post just yesterday and fitted promptly!

At a casual glance, this looks very similar to the original non-locking caps that originally came on Heralds (and almost all replaced by locking ones for security), these had a small nut in the centre.

Name:  IMG_9714.JPG
Views: 509
Size:  106.8 KB

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9649.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9651.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9749.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9750.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9751.jpg
Old 28th October 2011, 22:02   #218
Senior - BHPian

Nice bit of additions to your Herald Shyam bhai. Love the shape of RVM. The petrol cap looks very elegant on the car. Surely a nice touch.
Eagerly waiting for the REAL SURPRISE.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 12:45   #219
Senior - BHPian

Great going Shyam, I haven't seen someone so persistent and continues on their rides. Nice stuff, I should learn the art from you and also the art of getting the right stuff from Ebay when I start my Appu's restoration, however carefree that you will support me then. You rock the world of Herald my friend.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 09:49   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Arrived in the post just yesterday and fitted promptly!
Great stuff you got there. I know how excited we feel when we get the POST in . It makes your day.
I have a similar door mirror purchased on the net for my 118NE. It was seen on earlier Fiat 124 in the 60s. I have still not mounted it as i need to change the drill holes and fill the old ones. Will do it in my next repaint.
Loved the key ring - Chill
KkVaidya is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 23:26   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

Back after quite long with news on CAN.

It came to my mechanic's notice lately that the rear suspension of the car was drooping towards the left side and lacked the characteristic 'tuck-in' camber (as seen in first pic.) that the Herald has while stationary. So it was diagnosed as a sagging of the rear spring, which was further found to have a few missing pieces!

This would affect the rear part of the chassis so was decided to get the rear spring reset. Which we did, after quite some delay. I also got changed the spring bushes as one of the existing ones (replaced during the PO's ownership in 2008) had worn out and so did the rear shock bushes, so replaced one side with bushes I imported from the UK.

So now the car's rear is back to normal! The excessive angle of the camber may look alarming but thats only after the rear wheels were just fitted back. After a bit of running, its attained the normal angle.

Also since we had to take out the rear seats to open/refit the rear spring bolts, I decided to get a little 'correction' done on the rear seats as they are too squashy and puffed up, the top part appearing a bit too high (and rather inconvenient while reversing. So got them both 'slimmed' down a bit with the extra padding removed (sorry about the quality of some pics., they are mobile cam ones!)

A bit better now although still having trouble in fitting the top half of the rear seat in through the fixing holes at the rear. Basically both rear seats appear a bit too large in size to fit in this car for some reason, although certainly are original. 'decided to deal with that later.

Also found that CAN is due for an oil change, which I plan to get done soon, and incidentally it looks like I got an OE Oil Filter via ebay UK, just in time!

Another goodie that came along is a lovely NOS LUCAS L636 tail-lamp lens still in the OH REE GEE NAL box!

NEVER to be fitted except for shows/pics. though.

How I wish I could get another one!

Also something really important (and exciting!) coming up now....just got her ready in time! But keeping it under suspense for now!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9700.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9979.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9989.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9995.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0003.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0007.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_00151.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-photo0003.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-photo0004.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-photo0005.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9943.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9992.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9993.jpg
Old 30th December 2011, 10:57   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Also something really important (and exciting!) coming up now....just got her ready in time! But keeping it under suspense for now!
You are getting a trailer?

Here is a wish that she likes cars and dont think them as competition.

Lucky Girl.
basky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 15:40   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post
You are getting a trailer?

Here is a wish that she likes cars and dont think them as competition.

Lucky Girl.
LOL!! No not at all!!

'dont mind if that happens though!

I've been asked not to reveal this yet but you will know soon, I assure you.

Just watch this thread!
Old 31st December 2011, 19:25   #224
BHPian

Quote:
LOL!! No not at all!!
Just watch this thread!
Ah Ha! Another Herald I presume. The guessing game continues.
Any way we will wait but will keep speculating - our privilege.
basky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 18:56   #225
BHPian

Tick! Tick! Tick! Tick! Happy New Year

A year later, we are still waiting. When will the suspense end? This is turning out to be worse than an Alfred Hitchcock movie.
basky is offline   Reply With Quote