Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 11th February 2012, 21:01   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
By old number plates do you mean the Black with white lettering?? I do wish I could. But wouldnt want to take a chance with the TP, what with them randomly stopping even people who follow traffic rules on pretext of checking for RC/Licence etc. these days!
Yes Black with White lettering and the CAN 1526 number, only for the photoshoots (after that back to the current ones), Just hang / screw them on top of current ones.
manishalive is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:02   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi all,

Back after a spell! 'been quite a while since I got some work done on CAN.
Finally arrested a long-awaiting issue of the ignition coil, buying a brand new LUCAS one at a reasonable price on ebay UK and having it got it in surprisingly less time than I had anticipated! Even though it was Customs-checked and dutied!

Having got the new coil yesterday, set around to having it fitted today itself. Mech. said he'd need to replace the points, condensor and plugs as well following which the car would be ready for a run. For today, he just tested the coil by starting up the car, found ok!

He tells me that this was how the original Herald coils were, with the U-shaped clip terminals on either side.

I incidentally have a new C-point set also a Lucas UK one but he advised not to use it yet, sometime later.

Another replacement part also from ebay UK- a NOS Girling wheel cylinder for the RH front wheel. 'need another one though.

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0700.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0703.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0709.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0712.jpg

Name:  IMG_0713001.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0697.JPG
Views: 582
Size:  121.1 KB

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd May 2012 at 22:04.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:57   #243
BHPian

Quote:
He tells me that this was how the original Herald coils were, with the U-shaped clip terminals on either side.
Attachment 922830
HI Shyam, Nice to see your involvement in maintaining the originality. Regarding the way the wires are connected to the coil, I would suggest you to use Round lugs or Flat terminals. They give a neat and a OE look.
You can get the Flat terminals with a Nylon sleeve in any Auto store or LPG / CNG Fitter for less than Rs 10/- for both sides..
I always keep stock of such lugs & terminals and never wind wires around screws for establishing a connection.
BTW, did it not have a ballast resistor in series with the coil?
Attached Images

Last edited by ilangop : 3rd May 2012 at 09:59.
ilangop is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:36   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
HI Shyam, Nice to see your involvement in maintaining the originality. Regarding the way the wires are connected to the coil, I would suggest you to use Round lugs or Flat terminals. They give a neat and a OE look.
You can get the Flat terminals with a Nylon sleeve in any Auto store or LPG / CNG Fitter for less than Rs 10/- for both sides..
BTW, did it not have a ballast resistor in series with the coil?
No these coils never had a ballast resistor, AFAIK none of the old cars did. I've seen them only on M800 coils.

'will try for the lugs/terminals.
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:15   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No these coils never had a ballast resistor, AFAIK none of the old cars did. I've seen them only on M800 coils.

'will try for the lugs/terminals.
I have seen them used on AIR COOLED VW coils in INDIA.But I am not cent percent sure whether it was OE
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:59   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I have seen them used on AIR COOLED VW coils in INDIA.But I am not cent percent sure whether it was OE
Well of course, few of us have the privilege of seeing too many VWs in India!
Old 4th May 2012, 13:39   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well of course, few of us have the privilege of seeing too many VWs in India!
I also have not seen that many air cooled VW's in INDIA (maybe15-20), but among what I have seen and noticed is what I stated.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 17:09   #248
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I also have not seen that many air cooled VW's in INDIA (maybe15-20), but among what I have seen and noticed is what I stated.
Ajay, 15 - 20 VW's ! you dont need to go too far, come over to my workshop

And Shyam, yes, that Aluminium coil should be from LUCAS, and comes without the resistor, and its hard to find, good you got lucky with it
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 23:30   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Back with more updates!

CAN had not been moving out lately mainly due to the front brakes being weak. 'turned out that the brake m.cylinder is on its way out and my mech. is tired of replacing the kit again and again, so managed to purchase 2 m.cyls. on ebay UK, which are on their way to me. They both happen to be used too but appear to be in better condition than mine and should work with just the kit being replaced so keeping my fingers crossed! There are incidentally new MCs available here by the brand name MEW, but I've already had a nasty experience with one of them on another car I had owned so NOT going for them ever! And would advise even anyone else against those.

But more importantly, I was lucky to get 2 new and 2 NOS pairs (in pic.) of front wheel cylinders (2 for either side) plus 2 NOS brake liners/shoes although only for 1 wheel! So with the new w.cylinders itself, the brakes would be far more reliable. I'm also changing the brake piping atleast for the front wheels to new ones made of Cunifer (A combination of Copper (Cu), Nickel (Ni) and Iron (Fer) ), from a set that I had bought from Canley Classics, UK around 5 years ago- never occured to me then when they would ever be useful but glad I had decided to go for them!

The pack also has a neat diagram showing the fitting.

I intend to fit the ones for the rear wheels too at a later stage.

The right front wheel needs a new bearing set as the existing one is worn through and the wheel's gone really tight!

'also need new liners for the other wheel, the existing ones seen in pics. are the 2nd grade TVS ones I'm told, identified by the paired riveting visible. The original superior grade TVS (or other OE brand) ones are plain without the rivets visible. Unfortunately difficult to find now for Heralds and I cant fit new ones on just one wheel as it'd lead to improper braking on one side and would affect the wheel cylinders too I'm told!

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_9646.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0890.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0891.jpg

Name:  IMG_0892.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  166.3 KB

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0896.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0904.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0905.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0909.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0911.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0908.jpg
Old 8th July 2012, 18:26   #250
BHPian

Quote:
The right front wheel needs a new bearing set as the existing one is worn through and the wheel's gone really tight!

'also need new liners for the other wheel, the existing ones seen in pics. are the 2nd grade TVS ones I'm told, identified by the paired riveting visible. The original superior grade TVS (or other OE brand) ones are plain without the rivets visible. Unfortunately difficult to find now for Heralds and I cant fit new ones on just one wheel as it'd lead to improper braking on one side and would affect the wheel cylinders too I'm told!
Shyam,
Glad to see a some news abour your Herald. TVS doesnt make one superior quality & other inferior quality of brake shoes for the same vehicle. There is no reason why a company should follow this method. The reason is this.
Usually the shoes for the brakes are available up to 3 oversizes. The reason being that the cast iron drum also wears our eventually, so that the standard size shoes would no more be able to do the job. This is where a process called drum truing is done.This is done on a lathe and the unevenness inside the braking surface of the brake drum is removed by skimming it by about 0.1 inch. Now the new dia of the brake is Old dia + 0.1". Eventually you are also advised to install the first oversize shoes. As & when the drum wears out, the above process is repeated and each time with an oversized shoe.
The factory made standard sized shoes are glued to the back plate. And these shoes alone are available as a replacable spare. After the first shoe is removed, every new shoe is revetted and not glued. Thats why you see the rivets and it doesnt mean any degradation in the quality of the shoe material. Dont worry any more about this.
Have you ever checked if the PP's brake shoes match the curved profile as in the rivetable plate.The rivet holes should also match. If so, you can be happy with the PP's shoes.
-Ilango
ilangop is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 22:02   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shyam,
Glad to see a some news abour your Herald. TVS doesnt make one superior quality & other inferior quality of brake shoes for the same vehicle. There is no reason why a company should follow this method.
This is where a process called drum truing is done.This is done on a lathe and the unevenness inside the braking surface of the brake drum is removed by skimming it by about 0.1 inch.

Have you ever checked if the PP's brake shoes match the curved profile as in the rivetable plate.The rivet holes should also match. If so, you can be happy with the PP's shoes.
Thanks for the clarification Ilango. So I guess I can still use these riveted shoes then (hopefully TVS made!)
Yes the drums have been skimmed/polished earlier.
And no, there is NO way the PP's or any Fiat's shoes will ever fit a Herald!!
The PP/fiat has larger drums/shoes for one thing!
Old 8th July 2012, 22:39   #252
BHPian

Quote:
And no, there is NO way the PP's or any Fiat's shoes will ever fit a Herald!!
The PP/fiat has larger drums/shoes for one thing!
Ok, so this makes it even harder to find Herald parts. Is there a chance that you could measure and post the inner dia of the brake drum. Do all 4 wheels have the same sized drum.
-Ilango
ilangop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 22:51   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so this makes it even harder to find Herald parts. Is there a chance that you could measure and post the inner dia of the brake drum. Do all 4 wheels have the same sized drum.
They do but the shoes differ front & rear. I have a set of NOS shoes for both rear drums in the original box (also via ebay UK) but only 1 pair for front.
Well, now that I know its ok to fit the riveted shoes, even if I get those should be good to go.
Old 8th July 2012, 22:58   #254
BHPian

Quote:
I am really surprised to see double leading brake shoes in the Herald.
Only the old RE Bullets sported this feature.
ilangop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 00:02   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Backplate is back in place with the 2 new wheel cylinders fitted as well as the new Cunifer brake pipe- sure transforms the look of the whole setup!

Also fitted a new (NOS) brake pipe got via ebay UK.

Also arrived today by post the replacement brake m.cyl. got again from you-know-where!

However, it does feel rather stiff and would need a new kit- mech. said he'd be able to tell the condition of the piston once its opened.

Also front right hub is back, with new bolts welded on and new oil seal plus NOS STANPART hub bearing, got from....that's right!

The hub now rotates freely and the front wheel would no longer feel tight as it used to.

It has been decided to replace the front brake shoes at a later stage, after testing with the new wheel cylinders and the new m.c.

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0913.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0916.jpg

Name:  IMG_0918.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  202.8 KB

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0928.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0934.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0938.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0939001.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0941001.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0942001.jpg

Welcome my new (b)ride, CAN 1526 (nee APF 4050)!-img_0943.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 11th July 2012 at 00:07.