Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Closed Thread

Old 30th November 2010, 10:29   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

I noticed the glasses are in with regular rubber. I would strongly suggest you import a windscreen seal set with the aluminium trims, will make a world of a difference to the appearance. When you are at it, get a set of tail pipe ends too. They're cheap, but the correct profile, and can make or break the rear end appearance.
Karl, these glass rubbers with trims are too expensive to import. Are they available locally somewhere here?

What i've done, is use an ordinary rubber for the glasses, and stick the fibre Chrome strips in between, to give it that retro look

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
I am sorry but your not harsh and will visit your thread fro the original pattern.

Thanks and please feel free to comment. The changes will be made

Cheers
Kasli,

What if we do something like this.

I send you all 4 door pads made from here and you get them fitted.

The same can be done for the seats also.

Give it a thought and do let me know.

These are the pics of the carpeting pattern for the front foot well.
Attached Thumbnails
My Beetle Stage 1-imag_1870.jpg  

My Beetle Stage 1-imag_1873.jpg  

My Beetle Stage 1-imag_1871.jpg  

My Beetle Stage 1-imag_1872.jpg  

Old 30th November 2010, 10:43   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Karl, these glass rubbers with trims are too expensive to import. Are they available locally somewhere here?

What i've done, is use an ordinary rubber for the glasses, and stick the fibre Chrome strips in between, to give it that retro look
I doubt they are available locally. They are expensive, but not prohibitive, maybe would work out to around 5000 bucks. You have been spending big money on your car anyways, with leather upholstry and what not - go the extra mile and order a set of seals too. They will look more authentic than the thicker set up you have presently.
Old 30th November 2010, 13:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt they are available locally. They are expensive, but not prohibitive, maybe would work out to around 5000 bucks. You have been spending big money on your car anyways, with leather upholstry and what not - go the extra mile and order a set of seals too. They will look more authentic than the thicker set up you have presently.
Fully with Karl, they are not available locally.The OE german ones may be bit EXPENSIVE, but the brazilian and mexican ones are relatively cheap.
Old 30th November 2010, 13:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Kasli,

These are the pics of thecarpeting pattern for the front foot well.
To the best of my knowledge this is not the correct type of carpets
The 60's beetles came with "SQUAREWEAVE"" pattern.Of course this type of carpets are not cheap by any means.see the photos
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: bmp 1514118.bmp (796.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: bmp 1514117.bmp (547.6 KB, 94 views)
ajay99 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th November 2010, 20:26   #35
BANNED

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
To the best of my knowledge this is not the correct type of carpets
The 60's beetles came with "SQUAREWEAVE"" pattern.Of course this type of carpets are not cheap by any means.see the photos

Easy said than done......!

Those trims are hard to find, and available for a full set at $ 139, The carpet set for a VW Beetle is available at $ 112 a set.

I would not want to put so much effort on getting an equivalent, since these spares are no more made by VW and not OE.

About the carpets, they are close to the way it comes Originally, will put up a close up pics of them sometime later.
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Those trims are hard to find, and available for a full set at $ 139, The carpet set for a VW Beetle is available at $ 112 a set.

I would not want to put so much effort on getting an equivalent, since these spares are no more made by VW and not OE.

About the carpets, they are close to the way it comes Originally, will put up a close up pics of them sometime later.
The pattern is itself different from what you have shown in the car.
Most of the spares are no longer manufactured by VW.
What is available is NOS VW spares and they are genuine,
made long back. But I doubt you can get a quality full Square weave carpet set for $112!!!. It is at least 4 times more

Product Detail
Please inform where you saw SQUAREWEAVE VW carpets available for $112 a full set
And the carpets whose photos I have posted earlier are NOS VW factory made with VW part number and packing and it is almost impossible to get a full set.If you do get one do grab it

Last edited by ajay99 : 2nd December 2010 at 07:48.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Kasli,

These are the pics of the carpeting pattern for the front foot well.
perfect the carpet looks good and neat, just change the pedal rubber to the one having a vw logo, they are not expensive ,just 4-5 $,do let me know if u need a pair, i think i have one spare with me
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:

hi friends do suggest me one thing, i had fitted the rubbers in my 71 beetle and the chrome came as a 8 feet roll and locks, they fitted well with a litlle more efforts and were finally good to see and fit, but as iam trying to fit the chrome in the rubber and then on to glass and the final set up to the car, its too toght and when we remove the chrome stuff,the glass and rubber fit well to the car, but iam feeling sad without chrome and and my denter is insisting me to let it be without chrome,is it the winters that are making the rubbers tight the rubbers are original german,exact size of the glasses,or should i try to put them in summers when the rubbers get soft and a bit loose after staying on the car for few months,or some other trick?
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:23   #39
BHPian

The Beetle has come well. Are you planning to add different type of seats and wheels for this vehicle? An addition of modern amenities will add good aesthetics to it.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:44   #40
BHPian

Default Re: My Beetle Stage 1

Hi Inderpalgil,

If you have the correct windshield seals, they should fit irrespective of the weather (summer / winter). In the past I have had success with the following sequence of steps :

1. Install the rubber seal onto the glass.
Make sure the groove for the chrome trim is on the outer side of the glass. The rubber flap should be on the outside of the car (see attached pdf for a cross-section view of the seal).

2. Install the chrome trim and locks onto the rubber seal (into the groove meant for the trim)

3. Install onto the body frame. (using the groove meant for the frame)

If you install the rubber on the glass first, then fix it on the body frame and then try to install the chrome trim, it will not work.
If you install the chrome on the rubber and then try to fix it on the glass it will not work.

Pls see the attached pdf for a more detailed step-by-step procedure.

Also note, post 1965, the front windshield was not actually flat but very slightly curved. So pls be careful while removing or installing the windshield as getting a replacement glass is difficult / expensive. If you do happen to crack your front windshield, you can still manage to install a flat windshield with the same rubber but it will be an awkward fit.

Pankaj
Attached Files
File Type: pdf windshield.pdf (359.7 KB, 242 views)
Old 15th January 2011, 13:59   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Near Completion...

Some snaps taken today and the car is finally shaping. Had a lot of help from Jalopy Shop Bangalore and he is great in helping with spares for beetles new and second hand to suit every pocket.

Hopefully the car should be out by the end of the month... praying

Comments are welcome ...

Cheers
Attached Images

Old 15th January 2011, 16:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Kasli do you import the seat fabric where do you get such a nice plaid design? The cars definately getting there. Have you thought of a colour other than black for the webasto sliding top?
Old 15th January 2011, 17:23   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

We generally tend to ignore the cheaper furniture fabric stores. They have this fabric stores which are tough and durable. They retail at Rs 75 to Rs 100 p meter for a width of 54"

The black is safe and less maintainence the other COLOUR was Tan but would clash with interiors and not gel with the blue.

Cherrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Kasli do you import the seat fabric where do you get such a nice plaid design? The cars definately getting there. Have you thought of a colour other than black for the webasto sliding top?
Old 15th January 2011, 17:47   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Near Completion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Some snaps taken today and the car is finally shaping............... Comments are welcome ... Cheers
I just noticed, is blue your favourite colour?

Cheers harit
Old 15th January 2011, 18:51   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Near Completion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I just noticed, is blue your favourite colour?

Cheers harit
No sir, but just had two cars done around the same ti e one light and one royal blue

Cherrs

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th January 2011 at 10:02. Reason: fixed quotes
Closed Thread