Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 25th November 2010, 11:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Speedy.....the Dubash car WAS black in the late eighties. The auto India article had a picture of it in black and I have seen it myself, his wife was my moms cousin.

I am sure others can coroborate this too,

BTW love your avatar picture, is that a Fortuner you are off roading ? You should come to Abu Dhabi and we will go out in soem real off roaders and have a blast.
Wasif bhai so what i understand is that the car was black when brought into the country and then repainted to red a few years later in India. I remember seeing the plates of the car and the code reads red for external body. I shall re confirm this on the car.
Is it also possible that the owner had brought down two cars and one was sent out of the country?.

Thank you sir. That is the Fortuner that i am offroading with, picture was courtesy Soumya sir. I have done the safari's and the Desert runs with friends there, but i dont quite like it, i feel the excitment is missing, or maybe i was in the wrong company. Would love to join you the next time i am in Dubai.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 11:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Wasif bhai so what i understand is that the car was black when brought into the country and then repainted to red a few years later in India. I remember seeing the plates of the car and the code reads red for external body. I shall re confirm this on the car.
Is it also possible that the owner had brought down two cars and one was sent out of the country?.

Thank you sir. That is the Fortuner that i am offroading with, picture was courtesy Soumya sir. I have done the safari's and the Desert runs with friends there, but i dont quite like it, i feel the excitment is missing, or maybe i was in the wrong company. Would love to join you the next time i am in Dubai.
I don't think two of those 365 Ferrari's were ever in India. That Dubash car, any idea where it is now and also would it be possible to see new pictures of it.

Those desert safaris are not the real thing.....please contact me the next time you are here and I will take you for a real desert experience....you will keep coming back for more. Is that fortuner the 4.0 Petrol version or do they come in Diesel in India ? Either way for more fun you need to lift it a bit

Last edited by wasif : 25th November 2010 at 11:18.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 12:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think two of those 365 Ferrari's were ever in India. That Dubash car, any idea where it is now and also would it be possible to see new pictures of it.

Those desert safaris are not the real thing.....please contact me the next time you are here and I will take you for a real desert experience....you will keep coming back for more. Is that fortuner the 4.0 Petrol version or do they come in Diesel in India ? Either way for more fun you need to lift it a bit
The car today belongs to my uncle and is being restored. I had posted fairly recent pictures in the ferrari's in india thread.

I have friend so they had taken me into the dunes seperate from the desert safari organised by tours. The next time i am there i shall take up your offer. The Fortuner is a 3ltr diesel, manual variant and the only engine option available in India. I had ordered in parts for the car but then decided to keep a car dedicated to ofroading activities. So till that car gets ready, i use the Fortuner.
Old 25th November 2010, 12:35   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Gents,

Mr. Manvendra Singh indicates #9085 was brought to India by a "Dr. Ross, a very high ranking Italian diplomat stationed in Delhi".

He further states that the car then passed into the hands of Dr Cesare Rossi, who raced the car in numerous venues in India.

Questions:
1) Any possibility that Dr. Ross and Dr. Cesare Rossi are one and the same? I wouldn't think those are common names in India.

Cheers,
Mark
Hi !!
Herbert Ros in India was the original owner of 275 GTB/C #09085.
This car was featured in 1967 Ferrari yearbook.

I got the above information from Marcel Massini (Ferrari Historian).

Quote:
Hi.

I might not be able to sort out the early ownership issues for this car but it was certainly NOT imported by Dr Rossi of Mumbai. He was an avid car person and he owned this Ferrari and some other really nice cars in his times.

The Ferrari was bough by him from STC in an auction.

Now if the records state that the first owner was a Dr. Ross then its entirely some other person.

Also please post some current pictures too.
Hii wasif !!
Maybe the ownership passed from Herbert Ros to Dr. Cesare Rossi.

Please enlighten us more about the black 400i. Never heard about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779
yes Wasif Bhai ,the Dubash car was black. The article in IAJ has a color page with all the Ferrari"s on it , i will scan and post it today, Let me find it !
Hello wbd8779
Waiting for you pics
ir458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 12:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is entirely possible that the 275 GTB/C passed from Herbert Ros to STC and then on to Dr Rossi.

The black car was the Dubash car a 365 GT 2+2 that is now with Speedys uncle as mentioned belwo by him.

here is a picture he posted recently ( post no 124 on this link )

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...s-india-3.html (Pics : Ferraris in India.)

There was no black 400but a red 400i in Delhi that was brought to India by an Italian Diplomat who then gave it to a Punjabi Gent who was teh owner in the late eighies.

I don't have any pics of thsi car.

In those days there wee only four Ferrari cars in India. The 275 GTB/C, the 365 GT, the 400i and a 308 GTB that was probably here on carnet which was used in some ads with the "PAT 1" plate on it.

Last edited by wasif : 25th November 2010 at 12:48.
Old 25th November 2010, 13:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Here is a Picture of the car, when she was going for restoration.
Attached Thumbnails
1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C (S/N 9085)-25102009199.jpg  

1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C (S/N 9085)-25102009196.jpg  

Old 28th April 2011, 22:09   #22

Default Re: 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C (S/N 9085)

Hi there,

As you see, very new to the forum, but I thought you might be interested to know that I look after the 275 GTC 09085 belonging to A.T.

It has raced in many of the European Shell Historic Challenges and also the LeMans Classic a couple of occations.
Attached Images

cvh98 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 13:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvh98 View Post
Hi there,

As you see, very new to the forum, but I thought you might be interested to know that I look after the 275 GTC 09085 belonging to A.T.

It has raced in many of the European Shell Historic Challenges and also the LeMans Classic a couple of occations.
Hello.

Wellcome to the forum.

You have posted your picture bang at the right place, we look forward to hearing more from you about this car and its current exploits.

Can you post detailed pictures of the exterior interior, dash and engine for us to drool over please

Also would you have any idea what happened to the remaining 5 of the 275 GTB/C that were produced along with this car.

Can the ownership of thsi car be traced from the time it was owned by Dr. Rossi in Mumbai to now ? Would love to hear how it left India
Old 29th April 2011, 13:59   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder how I missed this thread which is running (where to) since November 2010.

Most likely the first Ferrari in India was this 275, it may have come in second hand, but when in India it belonged to Dr C. Rossi. He raced it all over India, and in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka since 1972) where he met with an accident and damaged the car, I believe the front right side. It is said that on one occasion he carried his special fuel in the car, all the while smoking his cigar.
Anyway, the car had an aluminium body, and it was fixed at Apex garage in Mumbai by a highly skilled denter whose name I forgot, he was a Muslim chap. Apex garage was located behind the petrol pump opp the Telco showroom. I clearly remember going to that garage one evening late at 11PM and the watchman allowed us in to see the car, completely dismantled and the body was already taking shape. After she was fixed, and very well done, I doubt it was raced much after that. If I remember correctly, this happened in the first half of 1980's. The car was parked at his residence which was the 4th building away from where I was staying, and we often used to go and see the car in the basement. Ofcourse she was often seen on the road also. And I do not think that this car came through an auction by STC.
When the time came to sell, Manvendra Singh Barwani was in touch with a Japanese gent, but the deal did not take place then. The car went to Europe, and then changed ownership a couple of times.

Now the 365 of Dubash was probably a brand new car, and I am very sure was yellow when new. But he must have brought it in later because production ended in 1970 or so. Customs duties were high, and an older car did get the benefit of drepeciation when duty was calculated. Dubash had good taste for cars, he got them brand new, even had a BMW M1 which was sent back because of our good roads. I had a unique opportunity of seeing the 365 at the airport where the driver opened the bonnet for us. Tripple carb et al. He mentioned that the car unfortunately was suffering because it hardly ever ran beyond the 2nd gear. Later I believe tha clutch burned out. That car was repainted, once black and another time this reddish colour. Now she has changed ownership with that Porsche 911, one of the oldest 911's in India.

The 400i was a car belonging to one Dr./Mr. Ross who worked for the Italian Embassy in Delhi. The car was looked after by a Mr. Sharma who ran a garage in Okhla in Delhi. I went and met him, he showed me the Ferrari and his Lancia, and told the story. This Dr/Mr. Ross was impressed with Mr. Sharma's abilities and arranged for him a visit to Ferrari in Modena. Later when Dr/Mr Ross left India, the car went to Mr. Sharma. I do not think that it went through STC, something was managed, maybe the fact that the car was not working. When I saw the car, it was not working and inside were a whole lot of brand new Ferrari parts including belts for the engine. I believe that the garage in Okhla was sold, and the cars shifted near to Hotel Ambassador in Delhi where I saw this Ferrari again.

The fourth car seen was the 308 used in the ad with Pataudi PAT 1. After these 4 cars it took a while for more Ferrari's to come into India.

Now which was the first Ferrari in India? I am not sure between the 275 and the 400 which started production in 1976, around the time we used to see the 275. My educated guess is that the 275 came first, followed by the 400 and then the 365. But this is open to discussion.

I am quite sure about my facts, and I note the tendency to mix up Dr Rossi of Mumbai with Dr/Mr. Ross of the Italian Embassy in Delhi, and their cars. And Mumbai Dr. Rossi had only one Ferrari. And the 365 belonged to Mr. Dubash whose wife is the daughter of the Maharashtra Govenor Ali Yavar Jung, a relative of our very own Wasif. The article Red Indians Ferrari's in India seems to have been poorly researched and is misleading.
Anyone knows what other cars Dr. Rossi of Mumbai had?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 29th April 2011 at 14:02.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 14:26   #25

Quote:
Hi there,

Hi,

Would you send me an email with your contact details? My email address is:

Mark@KingCosmo.com

Cheers,
Mark Ketcham
Mark K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 14:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I wonder how I missed this thread which is running (where to) since November 2010.

Most likely the first Ferrari in India was this 275, it may have come in second hand, but when in India it belonged to Dr C. Rossi. He raced it all over India, and in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka since 1972) where he met with an accident and damaged the car, I believe the front right side. It is said that on one occasion he carried his special fuel in the car, all the while smoking his cigar.
Anyway, the car had an aluminium body, and it was fixed at Apex garage in Mumbai by a highly skilled denter whose name I forgot, he was a Muslim chap. Apex garage was located behind the petrol pump opp the Telco showroom. I clearly remember going to that garage one evening late at 11PM and the watchman allowed us in to see the car, completely dismantled and the body was already taking shape. After she was fixed, and very well done, I doubt it was raced much after that. If I remember correctly, this happened in the first half of 1980's. The car was parked at his residence which was the 4th building away from where I was staying, and we often used to go and see the car in the basement. Ofcourse she was often seen on the road also. And I do not think that this car came through an auction by STC.
When the time came to sell, Manvendra Singh Barwani was in touch with a Japanese gent, but the deal did not take place then. The car went to Europe, and then changed ownership a couple of times.

Now the 365 of Dubash was probably a brand new car, and I am very sure was yellow when new. But he must have brought it in later because production ended in 1970 or so. Customs duties were high, and an older car did get the benefit of drepeciation when duty was calculated. Dubash had good taste for cars, he got them brand new, even had a BMW M1 which was sent back because of our good roads. I had a unique opportunity of seeing the 365 at the airport where the driver opened the bonnet for us. Tripple carb et al. He mentioned that the car unfortunately was suffering because it hardly ever ran beyond the 2nd gear. Later I believe tha clutch burned out. That car was repainted, once black and another time this reddish colour. Now she has changed ownership with that Porsche 911, one of the oldest 911's in India.

The 400i was a car belonging to one Dr./Mr. Ross who worked for the Italian Embassy in Delhi. The car was looked after by a Mr. Sharma who ran a garage in Okhla in Delhi. I went and met him, he showed me the Ferrari and his Lancia, and told the story. This Dr/Mr. Ross was impressed with Mr. Sharma's abilities and arranged for him a visit to Ferrari in Modena. Later when Dr/Mr Ross left India, the car went to Mr. Sharma. I do not think that it went through STC, something was managed, maybe the fact that the car was not working. When I saw the car, it was not working and inside were a whole lot of brand new Ferrari parts including belts for the engine. I believe that the garage in Okhla was sold, and the cars shifted near to Hotel Ambassador in Delhi where I saw this Ferrari again.

The fourth car seen was the 308 used in the ad with Pataudi PAT 1. After these 4 cars it took a while for more Ferrari's to come into India.

Now which was the first Ferrari in India? I am not sure between the 275 and the 400 which started production in 1976, around the time we used to see the 275. My educated guess is that the 275 came first, followed by the 400 and then the 365. But this is open to discussion.

I am quite sure about my facts, and I note the tendency to mix up Dr Rossi of Mumbai with Dr/Mr. Ross of the Italian Embassy in Delhi, and their cars. And Mumbai Dr. Rossi had only one Ferrari. And the 365 belonged to Mr. Dubash whose wife is the daughter of the Maharashtra Govenor Ali Yavar Jung, a relative of our very own Wasif. The article Red Indians Ferrari's in India seems to have been poorly researched and is misleading.

Cheers harit
Only one correction to your well informed write up. Mr Dubash's wife is the Daughter of 'The Maharani of Morvi'
Dr. Rossi also had the Lancia, his daily drive.
Mr. Sethna of Apex used to maintain my cars too in that period.

Last edited by scooby05 : 29th April 2011 at 14:30.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 14:29   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi there,

Welcome, I guess you mean Anil Thadani as I have seen his name published during various events. I used to work in a small company where he invested in.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 14:33   #28

Quote:
Hi there,

Quote:

Cheers harit
Hello Harit,

Can you please post any racing history you have compiled about 275 GTB/C #9085 pls?

Also, any dates, or sale prices of the car when it changed hands? Any other details you have on the ownership, pictures or racing provenance would be appreciated!!

Also, can you send me your contact details?

Mark@KingCosmo.com

Cheers,
Mark Ketcham
Mark K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 15:43   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Only one correction to your well informed write up. Mr Dubash's wife is the Daughter of 'The Maharani of Morvi'
Dr. Rossi also had the Lancia, his daily drive.
Mr. Sethna of Apex used to maintain my cars too in that period.
I believe that there were two Dubash brothers, and this person is Adi Dubash. Wasif can you enlighten?
What was the colour of the Lancia?
Dr. Rossi had an Alfa Romeo Guiletta in white, a Fiat 124 Dino type in yellow, Volvo stationwagon again yellow and a Plymouth Valiant station wagon in green. Lancia Flaminia sedan in blue was a Dubash car. The Volvo is seen in the background in a pic of the 275.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 15:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe that there were two Dubash brothers, and this person is Adi Dubash. Wasif can you enlighten?
What was the colour of the Lancia?
Dr. Rossi had an Alfa Romeo Guiletta in white, a Fiat 124 Dino type in yellow, Volvo stationwagon again yellow and a Plymouth Valiant station wagon in green. Lancia Flaminia sedan in blue was a Dubash car. The Volvo is seen in the background in a pic of the 275.

Cheers harit
I stand corrected, Dr. had an Alfa, and the Lancia was with Dubash.
Adi Dubash's wife is the Daughter of Maharani of Morvi, think her name is Uma.

Last edited by scooby05 : 29th April 2011 at 15:56.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote