Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 10:51   #151
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

The day has finally come, my 71 beetle has turned 40 today 14th may 1971 was friday,and she was sold on 17th may 1971-Monday,as per the certificate.i got the cake,will be uploading the picture soon.celebrate the day today evening.
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 10:51   #152
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 830
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Seems like you didn't read the certificate properly. The certificate i have put up is of a Mercedes Benz 300B which was manufactured in 1954 and not of a Pre War Mercedes. Here is a picture of the car of which this Birth certificate is for. Also please see the certificate that I have uploaded is made in Stuttgart and has Authorized signatures on it where as the one you have uploaded has some Los Anglos, USA address.
Oops, my bad! I stand corrected. This is something new to me, because all this time I thought that all they issued for 100 Euros were these unreadable Spec Sheets or Data Cards as the Americans call them. What is even more strange is that the most comprehensive website on Pontons does not show these Birth Certificates anywhere, just pics of the data cards.

Thank you Indrojit for this useful info.

Best Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 16:45   #153
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
The day has finally come, my 71 beetle has turned 40 today 14th may 1971 was friday,and she was sold on 17th may 1971-Monday,as per the certificate.i got the cake,will be uploading the picture soon.celebrate the day today evening.
Here is the cake for my darling beetle turning 40 today,she is some what special to me,as she is my first beetle and with me since 1993,she was my drive to school on the farewell party day,she was my wedding car in 2K,and many more lovely memories with her,I love her.Happy Birthday MY Dear
Attached Images
 

Last edited by inderpalgill : 14th May 2011 at 16:48. Reason: couldnt upload pictures
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 23:31   #154
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Here is the cake for my darling beetle turning 40 today,she is some what special to me,as she is my first beetle and with me since 1993,she was my drive to school on the farewell party day,she was my wedding car in 2K,and many more lovely memories with her,I love her.Happy Birthday MY Dear
Man, this is called real Enthusiasm...
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 14:20   #155
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Here is the cake for my darling beetle turning 40 today,she is some what special to me,as she is my first beetle and with me since 1993,she was my drive to school on the farewell party day,she was my wedding car in 2K,and many more lovely memories with her,I love her.Happy Birthday MY Dear
Dear friends,
i along with the family n kids had a wonderful Saturday evening and enjoyed and celebrated the 40th bday of my Super beetle, here i want to share some Birthday pics,right from the 1st one, when she came out of her garage,had some gifts eg the antenna ball, a VW no worries badge for fun as it replaces the original hood badge,all the oils changed,cut the cake in th \e boot( yes played a risky game by lighting the candle near the fuel tank-but did that in a jiffy)then the kids were happy and excited-Priceless ,then had a long drive of around 25 kms around the city,came late at night after dinner,here are some pics
Attached Images
                      
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 17:22   #156
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Dear friends,
i along with the family n kids had a wonderful Saturday evening and enjoyed and celebrated the 40th bday of my Super beetle, here i want to share some Birthday pics,right from the 1st one, when she came out of her garage,had some gifts eg the antenna ball, a VW no worries badge for fun as it replaces the original hood badge,all the oils changed,cut the cake in th \e boot( yes played a risky game by lighting the candle near the fuel tank-but did that in a jiffy)then the kids were happy and excited-Priceless ,then had a long drive of around 25 kms around the city,came late at night after dinner,here are some pics
Congratulations sir

Can i know what that certificate meant....?

And one more thing, that grade of Engine oil is actually not suitable for the Aircooled Engines.....

You can use a lightly thinner oil for better lubrication.

I am yet to try the 2T oil in the coming days, will keep you posted.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 19:43   #157
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 830
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Dear friends,
i along with the family n kids had a wonderful Saturday evening and enjoyed and celebrated the 40th bday of my Super beetle,

Wow, looks like you and your family and the Beetle had a really fun day. Congratulations to both you (for keeping the car so nicely maintained) and your Beetle on her birthday.

If we all start celebrating our vintage and classic car's birthdays, all our neighbours will think we're completely nutty

Best Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 11:41   #158
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Congratulations sir

Can i know what that certificate meant....?

And one more thing, that grade of Engine oil is actually not suitable for the Aircooled Engines.....

You can use a lightly thinner oil for better lubrication.

I am yet to try the 2T oil in the coming days, will keep you posted.
Thanks PK, the certificate with a picture of new beetle,was issued by the local dealership,on the day we took delivery of our new beetle,reads the name of my dad "Parminder Jit Singh" as they offered us the first beetle( new beetle) of the town,Reg the oil,what oil do you recommend ,its a usual practice here to use 20-50 multi grade oil keeping in mind the 42 degrees of heat,is there any other option,may be a better one,
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 14:48   #159
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Wow, looks like you and your family and the Beetle had a really fun day. Congratulations to both you (for keeping the car so nicely maintained) and your Beetle on her birthday.

If we all start celebrating our vintage and classic car's birthdays, all our neighbours will think we're completely nutty

Best Regards
Prithvi
Thanks alot sir,setting the neighbours aside and our passion infront of us, its just an opputunity to celebrate,celebrate life and happiness, be it our b day or our kids or our kid like cars,so i must say one must and should never miss an oppurtunity to smile,make our family smile and off course the smile on our kids and family's face is "PRICELESS"

From the like minded people out here, i need a suggestion from all,iam upgrading my garage as with the grace of god and good wishes from friends the collection has increased and the garage is now full with 15 cars and some bikes,so every time i have to get the car out i need a helper to reshuffle some,with an intension to utilize the space next to garage,the area will be almost double so that some of my unrestored cars or new additions which cudnt find place to be parked under the roof,will get a new home,although the roof is asbestos, it gets heated up in Punjab summers,so iam keeping a provision rather for 8 exhaust fans of 18" size,just guide me
1-how can i keep the garage cool, as keeping big exhaust fan all the time will lead to a big electricity bill,what other remedy can be opted for, some one suggested the roof ventilators,that are a turbine sort of thing that works without electricity,with some physics involved
2-the main face or the front of the garage will be changed and extended and i am thinking of giving it a classic look,may be like early 20's building look, either by using small bricks or using metal designed window shades,or some thing like that, please give ideas or suggestions,will share some pics of the ongoing project soon

Last edited by karlosdeville : 18th May 2011 at 16:27. Reason: Consecutive posts
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 14:47   #160
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

here are some updates of my 61 bug, the brakes are very well functioning now, had some problem in adjusting the leathers as i had to take the alloy wheel and the adapter off,to access the adjuster, mean time my original rims are back home too, after minor repairs,new hub cap locks and off course a two tone paint on all the five(pictures following),as iam still on the alloys, did a bit of innovation to drill the adapter plates in a straight line with adjuster holes in the drum,i can now adjust the leathers without even taking the wheels off, so my brakes are now super, all system new all pipes,wheel and master cylinders liners etc.,also mounted a four way sony music system in the glove box console using an EMPI abs plastic glove box,meant to mount a hidden stereo, with JVC speakers in the boot enclosed in wooden box with same carpet beige on them(pics following)time to spread the final carpet and already made(although locally) read jute mats,interiors are now looking some what better.my radio block off plate is good but misses the chrome centre piece, so will compromise with the modern day stick on strip,untill iam lucky to find a good original one,also i mentioned somewhere in the thread that i was unable to put the chrome molding in the window rubbers, may be the rubbers were new or the winters were to be blamed, so i again tried today with rear quarter glass and it went on so softly,thanks to the nort Indian summers @ 43 C ha ha,so full of sweat i have done 2 rear quarters and begun with the windscreen.just out of curiosity i have assembeled the whole of this lovely car with my own hands,including glasses,bumpers,engine(not overhauled-but tin removed painted-fixed)gear removed -flushed ,new mounts and in the car,wiring,music wiring, alloy plates ,simple small brackets for safety star,GB plate etc,it was a lengthy process, but reliable as i know i have not used old worn out hardware and nuts etc, good originals were retained but mixed up ones are removed and all the major nuts and minor ones use one spanner,like the originals do,they are branded TVS and those access water etc are made of SS,performs good on road,slight play in the steering and i noticed the coupling is at the fault, will be coming in the next lot.
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 14:25   #161
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
here are some updates of my 61 bug, the brakes are very well functioning now, had some problem in adjusting the leathers as i had to take the alloy wheel and the adapter off,to access the adjuster, mean time my original rims are back home too, after minor repairs,new hub cap locks and off course a two tone paint on all the five(pictures following),as iam still on the alloys, did a bit of innovation to drill the adapter plates in a straight line with adjuster holes in the drum,i can now adjust the leathers without even taking the wheels off, so my brakes are now super, all system new all pipes,wheel and master cylinders liners etc.,also mounted a four way sony music system in the glove box console using an EMPI abs plastic glove box,meant to mount a hidden stereo, with JVC speakers in the boot enclosed in wooden box with same carpet beige on them(pics following)time to spread the final carpet and already made(although locally) read jute mats,interiors are now looking some what better.my radio block off plate is good but misses the chrome centre piece, so will compromise with the modern day stick on strip,untill iam lucky to find a good original one,also i mentioned somewhere in the thread that i was unable to put the chrome molding in the window rubbers, may be the rubbers were new or the winters were to be blamed, so i again tried today with rear quarter glass and it went on so softly,thanks to the nort Indian summers @ 43 C ha ha,so full of sweat i have done 2 rear quarters and begun with the windscreen.just out of curiosity i have assembeled the whole of this lovely car with my own hands,including glasses,bumpers,engine(not overhauled-but tin removed painted-fixed)gear removed -flushed ,new mounts and in the car,wiring,music wiring, alloy plates ,simple small brackets for safety star,GB plate etc,it was a lengthy process, but reliable as i know i have not used old worn out hardware and nuts etc, good originals were retained but mixed up ones are removed and all the major nuts and minor ones use one spanner,like the originals do,they are branded TVS and those access water etc are made of SS,performs good on road,slight play in the steering and i noticed the coupling is at the fault, will be coming in the next lot.
here are some pictures of the chrome mouldings fixed in the window rubbers, i was a bit worried when the moldings were making the rubbers too tight and didnt fit, forgot that the rubbers were new,tight and i was trying in dec-it was cold enough, so fixed the glasses without them ,now in summers things worked out,what do you all say,isn't it looking lovely
Attached Images
   
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 13:36   #162
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
here are some pictures of the chrome mouldings fixed in the window rubbers, i was a bit worried when the moldings were making the rubbers too tight and didnt fit, forgot that the rubbers were new,tight and i was trying in dec-it was cold enough, so fixed the glasses without them ,now in summers things worked out,what do you all say,isn't it looking lovely
unfortunately, the white line tyre on my Vw westy bus,lost the tread while driving this Saturday with family and kids,i noticed a flap flap sound at the rear, immediately stopped and found the tire lost the tread patch of around 6",so slowly headed towards the home and an hour after the tire bursted,the tire may be old enough to bare the heat on the north Indian roads, so i was a bit disappointed as we can easily lay hands on good white line proper size tires,any ways iam hunting for a new set now,again although the tread on the tires is good,but they are getting cracked as for the age,here is the picture
Attached Images
    
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:42   #163
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

hello folks, iam eagerly searching for some very good quality external sunvisor, can some one help
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 17:03   #164
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
hello folks, iam eagerly searching for some very good quality external sunvisor, can some one help
Good wishes do work- i just now got a call from my dad from USA,he has purchased an external sunvisor made in Germany for the 61 beetle, he tried to find a blue one but was out of stock so purchased a black one may be a good sign as we can use black colour on any beetle not only on blue one, he also purchased some tit bits like a petronix svda pointless distributor(advances both mechanical like 009 and vacumm from carb) and an oil temp kit including VDO gauge and sender,the gauge being royal cockpit series white dial,excited to see them wil post pics as soon as they come
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 10:43   #165
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 830
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Good wishes do work- i just now got a call from my dad from USA,he has purchased an external sunvisor made in Germany for the 61 beetle, he tried to find a blue one but was out of stock so purchased a black one may be a good sign as we can use black colour on any beetle not only on blue one, he also purchased some tit bits like a petronix svda pointless distributor(advances both mechanical like 009 and vacumm from carb) and an oil temp kit including VDO gauge and sender,the gauge being royal cockpit series white dial,excited to see them wil post pics as soon as they come
I'm glad you got the sunvisor as also the other parts, lucky you! I have a question, how is the sunvisor, in the sense that its quite long, being brought back? Will someone carry it back as a piece of luggage? I ask because around 2 years back, when I was in the US, I bought tons of parts which were missing from my car (all stolen) and also got the front and rear windscreen aluminium beadings for the rubber seals. I didn't know how to carry them back as the dimensions were too much for both Fedex and USPS, until someone suggested that it can be carried as a piece of baggage, which actually worked!

I now have a webasto roof stuck with a crating company in the US, which weighs around 175 kgs, and is large, since the roof comes with all the pillars! Any ideas on economical shipping to India?


Best Regards
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1961 Italian Fiat 1100/D Special. A Restoration Project. V-16 Post-War 426 17th August 2016 19:08
My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project SA7VA5 Post-War 61 19th January 2015 15:48
1961 VW Beetle Restoration PAVAN KADAM Post-War 59 3rd June 2012 00:19
1967 Volkswagen Beetle-Build your own paper beetle Naren4140 Shifting gears 4 5th December 2009 05:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks