Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 19th July 2011, 17:05   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
My apologies for hijacking the thread! But I could not resist adding some more info on non-standard lighting on VWs.

The VW Beetle in Italy had a dual-colour Hella indicator lens, as shown below.

Attachment 579425

VW in Italy is also known for another famous oddity : A Super Beetle powered by the 1200cc engine !! Apparently this was to satisfy a law of the land which would make the Super Beetle eligible for tax exemption. But anyhow, that's a different story.

Hella also offered a range of accessory light fittings for the Beetle. One of them was the long and slender type of fender indicator, shown below.

Attachment 579426

Another odd bit of lighting is this rear tail lamp lens. I'm told that this was also meant for an export model to a particular country, but my information on this is sketchy, so it could just as easily be an aftermarket accessory as well. Appreciate it if somebody can confirm.

Attachment 579427

Another interesting bit of news is that Hella will be providing all light fitments for the New Beetle from the 2012 model year onwards, reopening a new chapter in the age old collaboration between the two companies.
This rear tail lamp lens with the inbuilt red reflector is for the SWEDISH market,but if my info is correct they were not built by HELLA but by GABEL and HASSIA.Actually other than HELLA, other lighting equipment supplier to VW were HASSIA,GABEL,ULO SWF,and BOSCH(headlights)
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 17:24   #197
BHPian

First of all, my compliments on your wonderful collection of cars. It is a treat to see them all together under one roof! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
so can you also throw some more ight on what models did such indicators came-if iam may not be wrong, they cudnt be on German models as it should be made in Germany then? but the lens reads made in N.Zealand
The regular slender indicator lens came on Bugs from 1958 - 63.
I read somewhere that this other style of lens that your friend sent you (i.e with the bulge) came on export models only from 1960 - 63. So it is definitely period-correct for your car.

There definitely were export models Bugs that were assembled in Germany and then exported out. So, I guess it's possible for such a model to have such an indicator lens with "Made in Germany" scripted on it.

It is also possible that Hella, New Zealand, offered these lenses as replacements for the German made lenses that came on export models.

Either way, I think you can safely install this part. It is safe to say that your car is also an export model. So it is not an incorrect part for your car, and to make it even more special, it is a gift from your friend. :-)
thebulletboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 17:32   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
This rear tail lamp lens with the inbuilt red reflector is for the SWEDISH market
Thanks for confirming that the country in question was Sweden!

I'm also told that these type of lenses are slightly larger (at least in height) than the regular Hella/Hassia lenses, and will not fit the usual VW Beetle tail lamp base. These will only fit the tail lamp base that came on Swedish models. Any info on this?
thebulletboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 18:36   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Thanks for confirming that the country in question was Sweden!

I'm also told that these type of lenses are slightly larger (at least in height) than the regular Hella/Hassia lenses, and will not fit the usual VW Beetle tail lamp base. These will only fit the tail lamp base that came on Swedish models. Any info on this?
Yes, what you heard is correct,they will fit only the SWEDISH model tail lamp base
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 21:05   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i yesterday completed the new garage and took a whole day for 3 of us to wash off the building materials and waste materials etc, today i sorted the cars, it may need a reshuffle for a proper arrangements, but i was in a hurry as it took more than a month and some of my truely loved ones were out in the open( although covered) but i was very cruel to them so cudnt afford another rain shower,will be washing one or two a day but the reunion of the family was done, here are some pics of some cars and bikes during a routine wash and the garage during arrangement -As promised
Wow! that's a lovely garage, well ventilated and properly planned, not many are lucky to have enough space and not every automobiles blessed as yours to have this luxury. Gill Sahab you take care of your machines like kids, so sweet.

I wish I had one garage like this I would be living happily, I dream and persue to have an acre land with lots of shady trees esp neem and mangoes and construct huge 10ft compound and have sheds inside with all my machines inside and 4-5 huge dogs outside with ample man power to maintain both the lovable breeds (Automobiles & dogs).
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 21:31   #201
BHPian

Gill sahab, excellent show case garage....you are lucky as well as your vehicles.

Congratulations again.
girishpv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 14:03   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Wow! that's a lovely garage, well ventilated and properly planned, not many are lucky to have enough space and not every automobiles blessed as yours to have this luxury. Gill Sahab you take care of your machines like kids, so sweet.

I wish I had one garage like this I would be living happily, I dream and persue to have an acre land with lots of shady trees esp neem and mangoes and construct huge 10ft compound and have sheds inside with all my machines inside and 4-5 huge dogs outside with ample man power to maintain both the lovable breeds (Automobiles & dogs).
Dear Chanu-thanks a lot for the appreciation,my friends liked the garage,so i am the happiest person, secondly pls suggest me some vintage adds, memorabilia,articles etc,an idea or suggestion is always welcome, a good friend helped me to source some re prints of some dozen of adds of ESSO,champion plugs, Firestone tyres,america cars adds etc, it will take time but i will slowly and steadily keep on adding on the walls such adds to give a feeling of yester years,including some picture /posters of my cars during and after restorations-long journeys etc,hope and wish it will come up well,again as i believe -slow but good,

again a big thanks to girishpv,thebulletboy,priyadarshan.b, rajchetan for appreciation,it feels like i have passed my exam,and making a garage/a car or any such thing takes a big time,efforts,funds,absence from work,and a back of the mind tension,that what iam doing -is it correct, will it come up fine,? so when you all guys find it good and appreciate the efforts, i believe that i have passed my exam-ha ha,thanks guys thanks again
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 14:28   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Why dont you get a nice poster painter to paint one of the walls typical to the 60-70's era and colours of the Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix style or like the typical Goa House colours. Bright and contrasting to the cars.

Will look cool !

Fantastic assembly of cars and a super home for them ! Super JOB Sir

Cheers

Quote:
Dear Chanu-thanks a lot for the appreciation,my friends liked the garage,so i am the happiest person, secondly pls suggest me some vintage adds, memorabilia,articles etc,an idea or suggestion is always welcome, a good friend helped me to source some re prints of some dozen of adds of ESSO,champion plugs, Firestone tyres,america cars adds etc, it will take time but i will slowly and steadily keep on adding on the walls such adds to give a feeling of yester years,including some picture /posters of my cars during and after restorations-long journeys etc,hope and wish it will come up well,again as i believe -slow but good,

again a big thanks to girishpv,thebulletboy,priyadarshan.b, rajchetan for appreciation,it feels like i have passed my exam,and making a garage/a car or any such thing takes a big time,efforts,funds,absence from work,and a back of the mind tension,that what iam doing -is it correct, will it come up fine,? so when you all guys find it good and appreciate the efforts, i believe that i have passed my exam-ha ha,thanks guys thanks again
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 16:38   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Gill sahab apart from that you can also sport wheel caps, bumpers, grille of various cars on the walls, you can also try some junk yard sculptures, try full fledged tools, special tools for your VW babies so the mechanics don't spoil the machine. All the very best, thanks for sharing your practices
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 09:55   #205
Senior - BHPian

Inderpalji, nice job with the garage. This is one of my dreams and hopefully will achieve this soon. If I were you I would turn this into a live- in garage just like Jay Leno's, throw in a small kitchen couple of space to hang out with friends. Behind every car display posters and memorbilia relevant to that particular car.No Random stuff..and so on. Keep it up! and i sure one day it will be a must stopover place for all car lovers. regards Amol
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 13:34   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Inderpalji, nice job with the garage. This is one of my dreams and hopefully will achieve this soon. If I were you I would turn this into a live- in garage just like Jay Leno's, throw in a small kitchen couple of space to hang out with friends. Behind every car display posters and memorbilia relevant to that particular car.No Random stuff..and so on. Keep it up! and i sure one day it will be a must stopover place for all car lovers. regards Amol
display posters and memorbilia relevant to that particular car.No Random stuff.
This sounds a wonderfull idea sirji, and regarding the kitchen i think if the circumstances remained the same and when i will be 60 years of age, my family especially my wife will be throwing out my belongings out of home and this will be the only place for me to live in-ha ha,any ways i have some little stuuf in hand write now,which i will put suitably and post some m ore pics,also the 61 bug will join the fleet in a day or so?thanks again
Old 21st July 2011, 16:43   #207
BHPian

now once all the cars are almost set in the new garage, i am taking one or two cars a day out of the garage for a detailed washing and waxing, today was the day of the westy-i am really very sorry to her as i was so cruel to her,she had to remain in open(although covered/wrapped) but she had to be in rains, hence needed a detailed wash,here are some pics,also pls note the pics of a bud vase i got from the volksworld show,especially made to fit on the bay window dash .as i removed the foot mat, i was happy to see how fresh the metal beneath is?hence felt like sharing with my friends here,here are some pics
Attached Images

Old 22nd July 2011, 16:33   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i recieved a pair of indicator assemblies made by hella,it reads "HELLA Made in N Zealand" iam not sure is it original or replica, but the quality looks very original,no rough plastic ends ,the shine is superb and so are the internal parts, moreover i love them as they are a gift from a distant friend,so no need to worry about original or what i guess, they looks imply awesome and different i have seen only in some google images before,what you all comment.
Here is another similar beetle indicator assemblies it is HELLA made in AUSTRALIA ,so australian specs must have been more or less similar to NEWZEALAND
Attached Images

ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:17   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Here is another similar beetle indicator assemblies it is HELLA made in AUSTRALIA ,so australian specs must have been more or less similar to NEWZEALAND
wonderfull,this is really informative,so i can finally conclude that the pair what i have is not a replica stuff and is a genuine hella product made for and in australian /N zealnad spec beetles,can be termed some what rare although so called O ree gee nal
inderpalgill is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:32   #210
Senior - BHPian

@Inderpalgill

Went thru your thread. Just one word would not suffice, but I will say it none the less - W O W You seem to have quite a collection of VW's & other vintage & classic cars. It is indeed the blessings of the almighty that you are able to collect & more importantly maintain such a garage.

Please accept my sincere good wishes.

As for memrobilia - I have a friend in Delhi who has made a small museum of old cars / bikes / collectables related to cars. If & when you come to Delhi do pm me - I will put you in touch with him.

The way I see it you will fall in love with his place.

All the best.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is online now   Reply With Quote