Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:12   #271
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Dear friends, i have been driving the beetle very frequently and enjoying the lovely drive in the lovely North Indian winters, as i have a dual port 1600 cc engine as spare with me i am planning to put the engine in this 1961 beetle and put an A/C with it ,to enjoy the drive in summers as well,some friends have put an A/c with 1200 stock engine too and is running very well,but as i have a spare 1600 engine and i also want to check the engine i am planning to go for it,so please suggest me what all i have to do, the 1600 has a 200mm flywheel, will i have to replace it with the 180mm one? or what, i too have a NOS Bosch starter the one that runs without bushing and is for 1600 flywheel.since the engine came without any tin,i have slowly gathered the following parts
1-the main shroud
2- breast plates and bottom tin
3-2/3 dual port manifolds except the centre portion
4-dog house type oil cooler came with the engine

i can use the clutch ( if i go for 180mm) from the 1200 engine, the fuel pump ,the alternator- will the fan has to be replaced ? the gasket set, i had a new muffler for 1200cc engine, will it fit or will i have to buy another one, suggestions and tips are welcome
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:27   #272
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
the car is running really well, almost being driven as a daily driver, the muffler (as discussed earlier) has started showing good signs of typical vw notes-as it didnt do earlier may be because it was new. and the sound is really lovely.enjoying the north indian summers and the typical air cooled smell in the cabin.any ways had a little problem with the paint on the bonnet, it started to bubble up as was before i repainted,on the same place near centre,so my paint consultant told me that its the rust causing cancer,luckily i had a spare bonnet with me a good all most NOS and primed grey, is sent for the paint ,may be done in a week or so,will be sharing some pics.So i need another advise, as the car didnt come with a fuel gauge, it some what difficult to drive without an idea of Gas, as i didnt make the fuel tap functional( may be done later) what is the feed back for Dehne Digital fuel gauge.has any one ever tried it here, is it worth spending $150 plus shipping etc.also i was wondering my cars gas tank has a fuel sender in it, although electric one may be put in by some one later,but the whole that fits the sender looks original,how come, or is the gas tank replaced by the later models,the gas cap is of the same size as of my 65 bug and 69 bus.pls suggest
try to get the VDO german fuel gauge( 52mm) round one
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:41   #273
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
try to get the VDO german fuel gauge( 52mm) round one
so can you please share some pictures and where can it be mounted
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:09   #274
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
so can you please share some pictures and where can it be mounted
please see the photo of the genuine accessory VDO gauge and also the mounting plate,You can also buy an VDO ammeter / VDO oil pressure gauge and use it in the second slot.Just fit it using screws below the dash.So no drilling /cutting required and originality is preserved at the same time functionality obtained
Attached Images
  
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 17:50   #275
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
please see the photo of the genuine accessory VDO gauge and also the mounting plate,You can also buy an VDO ammeter / VDO oil pressure gauge and use it in the second slot.Just fit it using screws below the dash.So no drilling /cutting required and originality is preserved at the same time functionality obtained
ok that s a good idea, i already have such plate in my 61 car,the car being discussed here, the plate hols a volt meter and an oil temp gauge,i can remove the volt meter and go for a fuel gauge-that is more practical and useful, pls check the pictures of a pair of gauges in this thread,again thanks for your very useful tip as always.
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:47   #276
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 1,890 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill
Dear friends, i have been driving the beetle very frequently and enjoying the lovely drive in the lovely North Indian winters, as i have a dual port 1600 cc engine as spare with me i am planning to put the engine in this 1961 beetle and put an A/C with it ,to enjoy the drive in summers as well,some friends have put an A/c with 1200 stock engine too and is running very well,but as i have a spare 1600 engine and i also want to check the engine i am planning to go for it,so please suggest me what all i have to do, the 1600 has a 200mm flywheel, will i have to replace it with the 180mm one? or what, i too have a NOS Bosch starter the one that runs without bushing and is for 1600 flywheel.since the engine came without any tin,i have slowly gathered the following parts
1-the main shroud
2- breast plates and bottom tin
3-2/3 dual port manifolds except the centre portion
4-dog house type oil cooler came with the engine

i can use the clutch ( if i go for 180mm) from the 1200 engine, the fuel pump ,the alternator- will the fan has to be replaced ? the gasket set, i had a new muffler for 1200cc engine, will it fit or will i have to buy another one, suggestions and tips are welcome
Are you wanting to put n AIRCON in the grey original car ?? That would be sad to destroy an original car. But it's your call as its your car

Last edited by kasli : 2nd February 2012 at 21:49.
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 12:57   #277
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Are you wanting to put n AIRCON in the grey original car ?? That would be sad to destroy an original car. But it's your call as its your car
No no, not in that one thats a bone stock original car still running on 6V, i will be experimenting on my other 61 the blue one for which this thread is being discussed, its having an alternator and original 1200cc engine, i have a very less used long block 1600 engine that is built to be run on unleaded fuel so i am trying it in this car, will not fidel with the originality of the car,i mean if i had to cut/chop or bend something i will opt for a reversal ie back to 1200,lets see?
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 14:47   #278
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Today i took out the engine and tried fitting the exhaust etc on to it,as i was planning to fit the 1200 exhaust on to it-simply to save money on the new 1600 exhaust,but what actually happened-the two pipes from no 1 and no 3 exhaust to the the main muffler fit perfectly good, but the main exhaust was short by an approx quarter inch on the no 4 piston exhaust, so i tried fitting an old 1600 exhaust lying with me, but surprisingly that one is short by the same size too? so i wonder what exhaust i have to use as neither 1200 exhaust nor 1600 exhaust is fitting,the engine no is starting with AD so probably its a 1600 engine, but why is the engine big for a 1600 exhaust- also iam sharing the engine no and another no punched on the block- what must be the decoding-how old is it and what cc is it also why is the engine green in colour,is it simply green or does it depicts unleaded fuel usage? kindly suggest-here are some pictures.
Attached Images
      
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 19:10   #279
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Today i took out the engine and tried fitting the exhaust etc on to it,as i was planning to fit the 1200 exhaust on to it-simply to save money on the new 1600 exhaust,but what actually happened-the two pipes from no 1 and no 3 exhaust to the the main muffler fit perfectly good, but the main exhaust was short by an approx quarter inch on the no 4 piston exhaust, so i tried fitting an old 1600 exhaust lying with me, but surprisingly that one is short by the same size too? so i wonder what exhaust i have to use as neither 1200 exhaust nor 1600 exhaust is fitting,the engine no is starting with AD so probably its a 1600 engine, but why is the engine big for a 1600 exhaust- also iam sharing the engine no and another no punched on the block- what must be the decoding-how old is it and what cc is it also why is the engine green in colour,is it simply green or does it depicts unleaded fuel usage? kindly suggest-here are some pictures.

the engine is green in colour suggesting it is an INDUSTRIAL Engine,not unleaded fuel (what made you think so?)
these air cooled boxer engines for use in industrial applications since 1950, laterly under its volkswagen industrial motor brand'. Available in , from displacements of 1.2 litres (73 cu in) to 1.8 litres (110 cu in), these Industrial air-cooled engines were officially discontinued in 1991.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 11:54   #280
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
the engine is green in colour suggesting it is an INDUSTRIAL Engine,not unleaded fuel (what made you think so?)
these air cooled boxer engines for use in industrial applications since 1950, laterly under its volkswagen industrial motor brand'. Available in , from displacements of 1.2 litres (73 cu in) to 1.8 litres (110 cu in), these Industrial air-cooled engines were officially discontinued in 1991.
ok thats very informative (as always from your side) so can it be by any means used in a beetle( 1961) car.and can you suggest what CC is this engine,may be from the engine number and what is the another number punched above the engine number, also notice a very tiny vw logo next to the engine number,is it looking to be upside-down?
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 18:38   #281
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
ok thats very informative (as always from your side) so can it be by any means used in a beetle( 1961) car.and can you suggest what CC is this engine,may be from the engine number and what is the another number punched above the engine number, also notice a very tiny vw logo next to the engine number,is it looking to be upside-down?
since it is an AD series engine it should be a 1600 cc engine.
Looking from the originality aspect,it is not suitable for a 1961 model since 1200cc engines came in beetles upto1965
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 13:58   #282
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
since it is an AD series engine it should be a 1600 cc engine.
Looking from the originality aspect,it is not suitable for a 1961 model since 1200cc engines came in beetles upto1965
the 1961 has a stock 1200cc engine and very healthy for long journeys too,this is just an attempt to fit it with a bigger engine for better drive and air conditioner.so what do you suggest will it offer a better drive, and for sure i will not tamper the originality of the car eg if i have to cut or chop some thing i will opt for reversal.
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 16:29   #283
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
the 1961 has a stock 1200cc engine and very healthy for long journeys too,this is just an attempt to fit it with a bigger engine for better drive and air conditioner.so what do you suggest will it offer a better drive, and for sure i will not tamper the originality of the car eg if i have to cut or chop some thing i will opt for reversal.
of course the 1600 cc will give much greater power and driveability.
But remember that you will have to change the brake system from drums to discs.
also the suspension is Swing axle type, You may have to go for the IRS type.
Also fitting the air conditioner will inevitably involve some cutting of metal,is not so?
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 14:44   #284
BHPian
 
inderpalgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 462
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

some updates regarding new parts ,very excited to fit my 71 super beetle with a set of four new bumper guards,fitted very well-flush with the bumper,that was new the time i painted my car in 2007. here are some pictures to share,before and after-i gad to move the Bosch extra light a bit to the left.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-.jpg  

Attached Images
     
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 15:11   #285
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 328
Thanked: 178 Times
Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
some updates regarding new parts ,very excited to fit my 71 super beetle with a set of four new bumper guards,fitted very well-flush with the bumper,that was new the time i painted my car in 2007. here are some pictures to share,before and after-i gad to move the Bosch extra light a bit to the left.

Looks awesome Inderpalji...very unique and great accessory to have in Beetles these days. They enhance the looks multifold. I particularly liked the ones on your 61.
67Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1961 Italian Fiat 1100/D Special. A Restoration Project. V-16 Post-War 426 17th August 2016 19:08
My 1966 VW Beetle! A new restoration project SA7VA5 Post-War 61 19th January 2015 15:48
1961 VW Beetle Restoration PAVAN KADAM Post-War 59 3rd June 2012 00:19
1967 Volkswagen Beetle-Build your own paper beetle Naren4140 Shifting gears 4 5th December 2009 05:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks