Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 28th December 2010, 19:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
sir,actually mine is not a new solex carb,as solex is no more into production of new carbs any more,so mine is EMPI which the vendors rate as OE and i got through my friend in USA,so these are available in 3(approx diif sizes) for beetle also a twin carb kits are available too,but not sure they fit Benz or not,some alterations may have to be made

thanks for the reply will be waiting for the pics,keep driving thanks
Brand new solex carburretors are not available for neither beetle nor mercedes,but NOS solex carburretors are available for beetles.prices range from USD150 to 300 depending on the model(28VFIS,28PICT,31PICT,...)
to the best of my info,EMPI carburretors was never OE supplier for aircooled VW's.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 12:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Brand new solex carburretors are not available for neither beetle nor mercedes,but NOS solex carburretors are available for beetles.prices range from USD150 to 300 depending on the model(28VFIS,28PICT,31PICT,...)
to the best of my info,EMPI carburretors was never OE supplier for aircooled VW's.
agree sir, empi was never OE as only solex was the carbs that came with the cars and i no more into production now, but some brands like EMPI, Brosal,Euro Max etc are making carbs now,out of them EMPI is offering warranty and personally using since 2007 on my 71 1600cc the carb is running very well it is a 34 pict,and the automatic choke performs very well in north indian winters.so as we don not have a choice for solex hence empi is a better option ,that is what i believe
inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 12:39   #33
BHPian

Quote:
some of the progress's, new original vw logo fixed,original rear view mirror back on place,original new hinge hole screw caps fixed,pear shape mirror out of box,but didn't fix,some difference in threads will be making a small adapter match both threads,expecting adapter plates for alloys today.need a suggestion as u all can see in previous pics that the dash is not having a square cut to accommodate the mechanical fuel gauge, did 61 had a fuel gauge,or it had a measure to check fuel,if so the tank has holes for the mechanical sender,is it the fact that some one had changed the tank or the cut it to fit a sender,the tan is of vw for sure may be from a later model,pls suggest?
gurus out there iam waiting for the resposnse regarding the fuel sender issues, i think upto 61 the cars came with the reserve tap? in the floor firewall?
Old 31st December 2010, 13:51   #34
BANNED

Quote:
gurus out there iam waiting for the resposnse regarding the fuel sender issues, i think upto 61 the cars came with the reserve tap? in the floor firewall?
Sirjee, what a co-incidence. I too was confused about the same setting.

But later got confirmed by The.Samba regarding the fuel reserve tap. And its an original setting.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project-imag_2183.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 15:57   #35
BHPian

Quote:
some of the progress's, new original vw logo fixed,original rear view mirror back on place,original new hinge hole screw caps fixed,pear shape mirror out of box,but didn't fix,some difference in threads will be making a small adapter match both threads,expecting adapter plates for alloys today.need a suggestion as u all can see in previous pics that the dash is not having a square cut to accommodate the mechanical fuel gauge, did 61 had a fuel gauge,or it had a measure to check fuel,if so the tank has holes for the mechanical sender,is it the fact that some one had changed the tank or the cut it to fit a sender,the tan is of vw for sure may be from a later model,pls suggest?
progress till today, fixed the main part of the SS firewall, it has a sticker on it which i will be peeling off when all is done i mean the engine gets in!about to fit the headlamp assemblies they are hell Made in Germany LHD will post few pics later,here are some pics of the interior dome light-Hella, the firewall before installation, and sound deadening under the firewall,work in progress,slow yet quality job at home
Attached Images

Old 31st December 2010, 17:10   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think I have mentioned about this before also in the forum.
The reserve fuel tap was there in all VW's till 61 and in all VW1200(EURO) cars upto 1971 or so.It basically consist of the following fuel tap and the fuel tap lever goes into the cabin via the hole near the clutch pedal
Attached Images

ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:46   #37
BHPian

Quote:
progress till today, fixed the main part of the SS firewall, it has a sticker on it which i will be peeling off when all is done i mean the engine gets in!about to fit the headlamp assemblies they are hell Made in Germany LHD will post few pics later,here are some pics of the interior dome light-Hella, the firewall before installation, and sound deadening under the firewall,work in progress,slow yet quality job at home
progress report:spacers /adapters are ready and fit on fine so,the bug is now on here 16" new wheels ,headlamps fitted looking fine and fresh,had a plan to fit a roof rack and it was ready with fresh paint and wood slaters and the luggage rack badge,but now the plans changed as the rack ruins the sporty look(as i believe)so just fixed the badge ,i was not sure of the location so fixed where my soul liked it;here are some pictures
Attached Images

Old 7th January 2011, 15:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
progress report:spacers /adapters are ready and fit on fine so,the bug is now on here 16" new wheels ,headlamps fitted looking fine and fresh,had a plan to fit a roof rack and it was ready with fresh paint and wood slaters and the luggage rack badge,but now the plans changed as the rack ruins the sporty look(as i believe)so just fixed the badge ,i was not sure of the location so fixed where my soul liked it;here are some pictures
progress till today- firewall 3 pcs tin work done with sound deadening pads beneath;speedometer needle was broken and got a pair of new needles a clear and a beige,so fixed new beige needle,and set the meter to zero to begin a new life again.new speedometer ring -chrome one installed.new set of stainless steel body moldings installed;speaker grills in the dash fixed.wiring complete,now the time for engine to be in the place and the 61 will be ready to set the road on fire ha ha,here are some pics
Attached Images

Old 7th January 2011, 19:51   #39
Team-BHP Support

Car is coming out really well. ps would be great if you could re-orient the pictures properly before uploading. You can use any image editing software for this including that comes with microsoft os.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 13:42   #40
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project

Mouth watering stuff, those spares were built for your beetle , that's a real head turner!
Basharatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 12:38   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basharatu View Post
Mouth watering stuff, those spares were built for your beetle , that's a real head turner!
thanks for the comments,this adds to the zeal and passion and the parts were self imported for my 61 beetle from california,
regards
Old 12th January 2011, 16:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Great to see a labour of love coming up fine. Congrats for the great job Gill saab. Kindly share with me (over PM if you'd prefer) from where to source the beedings, glasses and parts. Im in a project 61 too which starts next week. Will need all the help from VW veterans like you, Pavan Kadam, Bayas and Karl. With your inputs i look forward to restoring my Bug all in four months total.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 17:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Great to see a labour of love coming up fine. Congrats for the great job Gill saab. Kindly share with me (over PM if you'd prefer) from where to source the beedings, glasses and parts. Im in a project 61 too which starts next week. Will need all the help from VW veterans like you, Pavan Kadam, Bayas and Karl. With your inputs i look forward to restoring my Bug all in four months total.
hi, thanks for the words and appreciation actually i imported the strips from USA ,they are made of hard enough stainless steel ,that will never lose sheen ever.i will be here for any sort of helpthat i can offer you or what ever iam capable of? and wish you all the best for the restoration,what colour are you chosing ,i personally do not like metallics on these era carsrest is your personal choice and do what your soul likes and what appears good to you.all the best again
Old 15th January 2011, 14:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
hi, thanks for the words and appreciation actually i imported the strips from USA ,they are made of hard enough stainless steel ,that will never lose sheen ever.i will be here for any sort of helpthat i can offer you or what ever iam capable of? and wish you all the best for the restoration,what colour are you chosing ,i personally do not like metallics on these era carsrest is your personal choice and do what your soul likes and what appears good to you.all the best again
progress report: all engine tin painted-cool zone=sea blue i mean body color.and hot zone being heat proof undercoat,cooling fins left bare metal as i think aluminium doesn't need a any coat.new carb set.target to put the engine in by evening,pictures following
Old 20th January 2011, 17:29   #45
BHPian

Quote:
progress report: all engine tin painted-cool zone=sea blue i mean body color.and hot zone being heat proof undercoat,cooling fins left bare metal as i think aluminium doesn't need a any coat.new carb set.target to put the engine in by evening,pictures following
yess the engine is in,looks descent,with fresh paint and new bosch alternator,will post pics after i peel off the firewall safety cover,eager to have the drive may be by last week only the pedal assembly to be fixed is pending