Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 20th February 2011, 02:09   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Lamby restoration in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ok, that makes sense now! However, I dont recall seeing those fitted to Lambys either. It'd be interestingto see how they fit a Lamby as they were made to suit the rear/side design of the Vijai/GP, which was different from the former.

You make a good point Stanher - I too have never seen these fitted to a Lamby - but I was assured that the one I've bought was actually fitted to a series 2 Lambretta body. I guess I'll just have to see how it fits when I get the scooter back from the spayers. If it won't fit the Lamby properly all is not lost as it'll fit the Kelvinator

And even otherwise, she presumably wouldnt wear Indian attires like Sarees anyway!
Speaking of which, I've always been under the impression that a Lambretta would provide better balancing, with it's centrally mounted engine, for passengers who sat side-saddle. I'm yet to know by experience though!
No, Viv has never worn a Saree We both agree though that the ladies we see wearing them here in the UK look very colourful and elegant in them.

Regards
Ed
edsuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 10:55   #77
BHPian

Edsuede,
In addition to what Chanu said, you ll also have to modify the mounting clamps on the number plate side. The lower portion of the Vijai number plate & the center part of the foot rest rod/pipe have 2 holes to be bolted to the chassis. Where as the Lamby has only 1. So you might have either drill 2 more holes behind the number plate area or weld a bracket in between the 2 existing ones. I would prefer the first option as that would support the rod in 2 points and does not let the rod sag on the foot rest side after appreciable number of usage.
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 13:49   #78
BHPian

Thank you ilangop & Chanu for your advice Although I've fitted many accessories to scooters over the years I've never had cause to fit a side saddle footrest before so this is new territory for me.

Once I have the frame and footrest together I will look into this. It may be that I decide to fit the footrest to my Kelvinator instead as this should be a more straight forward fit - either way I will have this fitted to one of my Indian scooters

Regards
Ed
Old 21st February 2011, 14:41   #79
Senior - BHPian

I feel the same as the foot rest would be a straight fit to the Kelvinator and it will be adding up to originality aswell. As far as Lamby is concerned it is good without the foot rest as it will spoil the fitment as you need to either cut the rubber mat or fit on top of it which will eventually make cleaning under the mat difficult.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 16:06   #80
BHPian

Looking on with interest guys.

Edsuede, I fitted the same ladies footrest to my Allwyn but as I did not want to cut away the plastic runners I had the footrest feet removed and replaced with ones that fitted nicely in the gap. Took a bit of fettling but as the Allwyn already had a modified frame strut it was quite a good, sturdy finish.
Incidentally, I had sourced a genuine, fold-down, Allwyn footrest which should be panel mounted but as I didn't want to drill the panel I fitted the Vijay one instead. Also, I thought the panel mounted one may may cause the panel to come off with a passenger's weight on it.

Going over to a Filey for a couple of days soon. Could meet up?
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 01:03   #81
BHPian

Thanks for the further comments guys. Yes, it's looking more and more likely that this will end up on the Kelvinator.

Thanks for sharing the benefit of your experience in fitting one of these Mitch It would be great to meet up - drop me a pm with the dates you're coming over this way etc and we'll fix something up. Could this be the first meet up of the 'UK Team BHP scooter chapter? (all 2 of us)

Regards
Ed
Old 15th March 2011, 03:55   #82
BHPian

Hi,
Any updates on your lambretta restoration.
Thanks
AV
ameet_pv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 20:35   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameet_pv View Post
Hi,
Any updates on your lambretta restoration.
Thanks
AV
Thanks for your interest AV

The frame and most of the other body parts are still at the sprayers. Although I'm told that most parts have been bead blasted and primered ready for spraying now.

The legshields are causing a problem for my sprayer at the moment. They were bought from a UK dealer who bought them as part of a batch a re-worked items already in primer from India. My spayer started to strip them ready to re-prime them as the older primer had gone a bit hard in his view. He found all kind of horrors underneath - rust and patches welded in, etc. This means that these will need more preparation work than originally thought before they can be sprayed.

I'm very impatient to get my bits back and to get re-building but don't want to pressure my sprayer as I want a good quality job

Regards
Ed
Old 16th March 2011, 00:34   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
Thanks for your interest AV

The frame and most of the other body parts are still at the sprayers. Although I'm told that most parts have been bead blasted and primered ready for spraying now.

The legshields are causing a problem for my sprayer at the moment. They were bought from a UK dealer who bought them as part of a batch a re-worked items already in primer from India. My spayer started to strip them ready to re-prime them as the older primer had gone a bit hard in his view. He found all kind of horrors underneath - rust and patches welded in, etc. This means that these will need more preparation work than originally thought before they can be sprayed.

I'm very impatient to get my bits back and to get re-building but don't want to pressure my sprayer as I want a good quality job

Regards
Ed
Ed these surprises may not be new to you atleast not for me, but I like the spirit though you are getting impatient but still having the patience to get the job done the perfect way, that's the actual spirit, keep it up!. All the best of luck my friend.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 00:49   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Ed these surprises may not be new to you atleast not for me, but I like the spirit though you are getting impatient but still having the patience to get the job done the perfect way, that's the actual spirit, keep it up!. All the best of luck my friend.
Thank you Chanu

Once I get the frame and other body parts back I can really get going on this project as I pretty much have all the other bits I need, so expect a lot of progress very quickly on this thread hopefully soon My sprayer is aware that his work is being displayed on India's premier vehicle forum so I'm sure he's as keen as I am that he makes a good job of things

Regards
Ed
Old 20th March 2011, 18:34   #86
BHPian

Hi all

Apologies for the delay, but I promised to post a picture of the passenger footrest I have acquired - well, here it is and as I've stated, this will now be going on the Kelvinator when she is re-built.

I've also been given a very useful gift to aid me with the Lamby re-build - a packet of genuine Indian tea - 'Aap ki pasand San-Cha' brand. As you all know, we Brits are famous for our love of tea and I drink gallons of the stuff

I'll be re-building an Indian scooter with the help of Indian tea - can't be bad

Regards
Ed
Attached Images

Last edited by edsuede : 20th March 2011 at 18:35.
Old 20th March 2011, 19:00   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsuede View Post
Apologies for the delay, but I promised to post a picture of the passenger footrest I have acquired - well, here it is and as I've stated, this will now be going on the Kelvinator when she is re-built.

I've also been given a very useful gift to aid me with the Lamby re-build - a packet of genuine Indian tea - 'Aap ki pasand San-Cha' brand. As you all know, we Brits are famous for our love of tea and I drink gallons of the stuff

I'll be re-building an Indian scooter with the help of Indian tea - can't be bad
The stand looks good- I presume it came off a Vijai/Allwyn?

I thought you're going to preserve the Kelvinator as-is though?

Oh, and the Indian tea idea sounds good too. But, I was given to understand that Coffee was equally popular in Britain at one time- coffee-houses were said to be very popular in 17th century Britain, even frequented by the literary giant Dr. Samuel Johnson (having read all this in my BA English syllabus )
In this case, might also help to take some genuine South-Indian filter coffee!

Last edited by Stanher : 20th March 2011 at 19:01.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 19:51   #88
BHPian

[quote=Stanher;2285436]The stand looks good- I presume it came off a Vijai/Allwyn?

Hi Stanher

Yes, in terms of it not being re-sprayed, the Kelvinator will be kept as is. However, having got this footrest now and it not being suitable for the Lamby, it seems a shame not to use it and it should fit ok on the Kelvinator.

That reminds me, I must get a thread started on the Kelvinator as I've started the dismantling and component checking process on it now.

Also, apologies for going off topic (regards the tea) - but I was quite pleased to be given it and it will be drank whilst working on the Lamby, so it is kind of relevant

Regards
Ed
Old 20th March 2011, 20:07   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The stand looks good- I presume it came off a Vijai/Allwyn?

Oh, and the Indian tea idea sounds good too. But, I was given to understand that Coffee was equally popular in Britain at one time- coffee-houses were said to be very popular in 17th century Britain, even frequented by the literary giant Dr. Samuel Johnson (having read all this in my BA English syllabus )
In this case, might also help to take some genuine South-Indian filter coffee!
Boss it is not stand but Vijay Super footrest for pillion rider , two small stripsare fixed to the numberplate and two holed patti is bolted to flooring in the rear portion. Regards.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 21:40   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Boss it is not stand but Vijay Super footrest for pillion rider , two small stripsare fixed to the numberplate and two holed patti is bolted to flooring in the rear portion.
Ah yes, sorry, the word's FOOTREST! Not Stand. I Stand corrected!

Thanks for pointing that out. I had a similar footrest on my Vijai Super too.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote