Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2011, 20:42   #16
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Saar, are you free tomorrow post lunch? We all are planning for a photoshoot on Airport road.
COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 22:42   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

I really love the car. I am not that much into specifics or 100% originality. It is more bcause, I really dont have too much idea about this car, or even vintages for that matter

But i can see the work that has gone in and appreciate it

By the way Pavan, few quick questions. Sorry if i missed it in one of the posts

1. Do you get the car painted at a Maruti garage
2. Based on the pics I have posted, is it the same garage u were referring to
3. Personal question. Have sent u a pm
thedreamcatcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 23:04   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Fantastic job Pavan, you have proved yourself to be the true Beetle addict. BTW, 10 days for restoration of a vintage is too tight, what were the compromises made, if there was any ?
esteem_lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 23:36   #19
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
Saar, are you free tomorrow post lunch? We all are planning for a photoshoot on Airport road.
Will call you sir, looks like i can make it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I really love the car. I am not that much into specifics or 100% originality. It is more bcause, I really dont have too much idea about this car, or even vintages for that matter

But i can see the work that has gone in and appreciate it

By the way Pavan, few quick questions. Sorry if i missed it in one of the posts

1. Do you get the car painted at a Maruti garage
2. Based on the pics I have posted, is it the same garage u were referring to
3. Personal question. Have sent u a pm
Thank you for the appreciation

Yes the car was painted in a Authorised Maruti Service Centre, i chose them since they had a well equiped Paint Booth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Fantastic job Pavan, you have proved yourself to be the true Beetle addict. BTW, 10 days for restoration of a vintage is too tight, what were the compromises made, if there was any ?
Thank you ,

10 days was infact too tight, but i had to take this as a challenge, and its proved lucky for me.

Compromises were few , but negligible, since this car was really good when it came. The only challenge was importing spares at the right time. Timings and spares were like God sent to me at the right time.

I could have taken it one step ahead, but due to lack of spares, i was handicapped. The car will come back again, will work on it for 2 more days and put back missing bits.

But yes, the effort is to make this care the BEST car in the country if Originality and period correctness is concerned.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 11:19   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PATHANAMTHITTA
Posts: 181
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Pawan sir,
is this ezra dssouzas car ? Please see the photos of his car which a broker showed me few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
1961 VW Beetle Restoration-rear_view.jpg  

1961 VW Beetle Restoration-front_view.jpg  

kishorelal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 13:18   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune, Bahrain
Posts: 438
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
Pawan sir,
is this ezra dssouzas car ? Please see the photos of his car which a broker showed me few months ago.
I would very much doubt that it is ezra d'souza's car. here is the link to whose car this is. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1848037 (Vintage & Classic Car Collection in Goa)

From one Team BHPian to another! If only all were so helpful!
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 14:41   #22
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
Pawan sir,
is this ezra dssouzas car ? Please see the photos of his car which a broker showed me few months ago.
These photos are doing rounds all over the country since 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
I would very much doubt that it is ezra d'souza's car. here is the link to whose car this is. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1848037 (Vintage & Classic Car Collection in Goa)

From one Team BHPian to another! If only all were so helpful!
The car is at a workshop right opposite Panjim Inn.

Had visited this workshop twice last year, did not show interest on making a purchase, but the garage guy was trying his luck at 3.50 lacs I told him "Brother, the car is good to go at 50K. Dont expect any fool to pay you more than that without documents" Never heard from him after that.

The 1961 car which i restored came from Goa, Stored well over the years at "Costa Factory" There are more cars in Goa which is on Sale, but the trouble is, prices....!
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 17:13   #23
BHPian
 
desigNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: calicut
Posts: 660
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

pavan kadam-as usual amazing job,just one suggestion, please change the front number board it really spoils the show.
desigNation is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 22:03   #24
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishorelal View Post
Pawan sir,
is this ezra dssouzas car ? Please see the photos of his car which a broker showed me few months ago.
Ajay, really nice Beetle. Hope it will be restored back to glory soon!

I have almost finalized a Beetle from Panjim. Hope all goes well.
COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 22:24   #25
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Swindon, UK
Posts: 696
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Lovely job Pavan. Try and keep the registration number. GDA's are now very rare and anyway classic cars don't look good with the current style numbers.
Live To Jive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 14:44   #26
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 830
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Hello Pavan,

I think this is your best restoration so far. Excellent workmanship, especially like the lovely shiny paint and the period upholstery and carpet combo. Please do post more pics.

It is quite obvious that a 50+ year old car cannot be 100% original in all respects, but I feel that some of our members are taking it a bit too seriously when it comes to this. Even my Mercedes ponton will not be 100% original, no where near it, since there is new metal, trim, paint, rubber parts etc. What one means to say is like 100% original.

I can't think of too many cars in the world that have not had their original engine oil changed in 50 years. Now that wouldn't make them 100% original either would it?

Don't get discouraged, you are doing a great job. Keep going!

Best Regards
Prithvi Tagore
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 19:23   #27
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigNation View Post
pavan kadam-as usual amazing job,just one suggestion, please change the front number board it really spoils the show.
You say that buddy,

It was that last minute hurry that made me overlook this mistake.

Thank you for that, Will certainly change it very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
Ajay, really nice Beetle. Hope it will be restored back to glory soon!

I have almost finalized a Beetle from Panjim. Hope all goes well.
Sir, you are going crazy these days. First start driving your existing cars that are resting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Lovely job Pavan. Try and keep the registration number. GDA's are now very rare and anyway classic cars don't look good with the current style numbers.
The registration number will be retained. Agree about that old number "charm"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hello Pavan,

I think this is your best restoration so far. Excellent workmanship, especially like the lovely shiny paint and the period upholstery and carpet combo. Please do post more pics.

It is quite obvious that a 50+ year old car cannot be 100% original in all respects, but I feel that some of our members are taking it a bit too seriously when it comes to this. Even my Mercedes ponton will not be 100% original, no where near it, since there is new metal, trim, paint, rubber parts etc. What one means to say is like 100% original.

I can't think of too many cars in the world that have not had their original engine oil changed in 50 years. Now that wouldn't make them 100% original either would it?

Don't get discouraged, you are doing a great job. Keep going!

Best Regards
Prithvi Tagore
Thank you very much sir, I have tried my level best to get this car back to its period correctness in all aspects, and most important fact. This car is a DAILY DRIVER as any of the cars i restore. And dont you think thats what matters most than the cosmetic makeup.

I really dont care about non-enthusiasts who dont have any first hand encounter with classics and Vintages. They constantly crib, i have learnt to let go and forgive.

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2011 at 15:40. Reason: Ajay's post is being deleted, hence removing quote
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 21:22   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
The Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,116
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Hey Pavan I saw your yellow beetle today near Hebbal flyover...very nice! What model is it? Were you driving it yourself?
The Wolf is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 21:30   #29
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Hey Pavan I saw your yellow beetle today near Hebbal flyover...very nice! What model is it? Were you driving it yourself?

Yes, that was my Beetle, and i was indeed driving it back home after office.

What vehicle were you in....?
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 21:46   #30
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: 1961 VW Beetle Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Thanks for your suggestion! I am not in the ""restoration business"'.
"Restoration business" How easy is this "business" especially when one is into a full time own Business. Managing spares, handling labours, getting the right products for finishing, updating the owners, settling accounts.. etc.. Its not a easy task at all!!!

Ajay/KishoreLal, please understand that "Restoration", atleast what Pavan is doing is not a Multi-Dollar deals to call Restoration a "Business".

Passion is what one needs and only an enthusiast will understand. Now Its difficult to explain what an "Enthusiast" is!

Okay, how do I know all this? PAVAN restored my Landy 8 months back. I'm really impressed the way he restores with Passion, dedication and what not.. Thanks to PAVAN I am a Tbhpian now. I love his restoration and his threads as there is something to learn in them.

Coming to Beetle, thanks to this restoration process and Team-Bhp that I have understood what is a "Beetle thing" which only a enthusiasts can understand. My Beetle is arriving from GOA on Friday and more details of it in a separate thread.

Last edited by COUNSEL : 11th January 2011 at 21:48.
COUNSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1961 Italian Fiat 1100/D Special. A Restoration Project. V-16 Post-War 426 17th August 2016 19:08
1961 Plymouth Fury From Tanjore Chennai junkmn Post-War 25 2nd March 2014 11:31
My 1961 Volkswagen Beetle,restoration project inderpalgill Post-War 295 30th March 2012 14:37
1967 Volkswagen Beetle-Build your own paper beetle Naren4140 Shifting gears 4 5th December 2009 05:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks