Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 20th March 2011, 20:15   #1
BHPian

Default Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK

Hi all

As promised in my other thread 'Lamby restoration in the UK' here is a thread dedicated to the 'rustoration' of my Kelvinator Avanti.

For those not familiar with the term 'rustoration' it is a word used to describe the process whereby a (usually well) used vehicle is reconditioned in terms of it's essential mechanical parts but is cosmetically left in it's present state, rust and dents included. Any rust on the vehicle is stabilised to prevent further corrosion.

Here in the UK scooter scene, this trend is starting to gain alot of followers, with the main influence for this trend, as I understand it, coming from the worldwide VW scene.

In the interests of continuity, I have posted the photos below that have already appeared on the forum - of the scooter as it came into my hands. I have however, started to dismantle, clean and check the various components of the vehicle and as such, more recent photos will follow once this thread has been established.

Please feel free to add any photos or information appertaining to the Kelvinator Avanti scooter on this thread as I very much hope to learn about this scooter model and share that learning with others as I go along. As with my Lamby thread, I would very much welcome and appreciate any comments, questions and constructive criticism

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-002-3.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-005-2.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-004-2.jpg  

Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK-008-2.jpg  

edsuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 21:09   #2
BANNED

Default Re: Kelvinator Avanti RUSToration in the UK

Well i am not sure, i must pass a Comment or Commend the contents of this thread.

Its commendable that you are painstakingly restoring these scoots.

But its a Indian Registered Scoot and how did it ever land in your country when import export rules does not permit such sale???

I am happy that its getting restored and getting a good home, but sad to know, the country is losing such rare and wonderful scoots....
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 21:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
But its a Indian Registered Scoot and how did it ever land in your country when import export rules does not permit such sale???

I am happy that its getting restored and getting a good home, but sad to know, the country is losing such rare and wonderful scoots....
Pavan, I hope you were kidding about the I/E rules!

Who said such vehicles couldnt be exported out of India?!
Such scooters (Lambrettas/Lambys/Vijais/Allwyns and even Vespas) have gone out of our shores in SHIPLOADS in the last 5 years or so!! Including many from nimma Bengalooru, where there is an EOU (Export-Oriented Unit) at Bannerghatta, buying such scooters and then doing them up according to UK market spec and exporting them abroad:

Welcome to Goldenscoots.com - The pit stop for quality restored scooters

Here is another firm in the UK that has bought several Vijais/Allwyns as well:

Lambrettas for sale

And yes, that our country has been losing such scooters, but then what have our public done to preserve them before it happened?
We realise the value of all these only when we are depleted of them.
I know of a time when I would see 'n' number of such scooters just used as workhorses, used and abused until they almost fell apart and then ruthlessly sold as scrap!
Not more than a decade ago, I used to see Vijais/Allwyns rotting by roadside mechanic sheds and nobody thought they were worth anything then (I did, but was too young to have a driving licence back then...and my dad never encouraged me to buy old scooters! :()
Atleast, the reconciling factor in this case is that they are going to people who buy them to preserve/maintain them and not for making a quick buck on them, like the many scrapmen in the past and now the dealers/brokers who are sniffing and sneaking around in many of our lanes/bylanes for such scooters, for obvious reasons!

Last edited by Stanher : 20th March 2011 at 21:36.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 22:46   #4
BHPian

Hi friends

I sympathise with Paven's frustration - it is sad that these scooters are leaving your shores but also feel that Stanher is correct in his analysis of why this has happened. At least the scooters left in your country (of which there must be very many still, based on production figures) are now being appreciated and retained by genuine and dedicated enthusiasts, many of whom are on this forum

I've made my views on this issue clear on the forum before so will not repeat myself here. Suffice it to say, my Indian scooters and those of fellow UK Team BHPian, Mitch are in the hands of genuine enthusiasts who adore these machines for what they are and are keen to learn all we can about them Which leads me nicely onto a Kelvinator update;

Here is the Kelvinator frame set up on my frame stand in the garage. It has been thoroughly de-greased, washed and then all overspray removed with t-cut. The overspray is the result of experiments at spray painting using aerosol cans by the previous UK owner's young son.

A few observations about the frame - the frame is basically a LI series 2 frame with a series 3 top loop. There is a 3 figure batch/quality control number stamped on it near the down tube, which I don't think I've ever seen on other Lambretta variants.

Prior to putting the frame in the frame stand it had to be straightened by hand at the back where it had received a rear end impact at some point. This was done with the scooter still complete using a sturdy length of wood (this could be braced against the engine/rear wheel) and by taking constant measurements.

The frame has been subject to welding repairs whilst in India - the stand brackets are welded on, but as the stand is in very good condition I will leave this as it is. Where the spare wheel holder has been fitted on the frame rear it has obviously caused damage in the past as there is a new piece of metal welded in this area. This will need further attention underneath where some of the weld has split. The bottom rear of the frame will also need welding where the sidepanel holding clip bracket holes are (a usual repair on old Lambrettas in my experience).

Regards
Ed
Attached Images

edsuede is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 22:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ed..I mujst admire your dedication to restore these marvels.Am glad that they have landed up in right hands.

The latest trend in Hyderabad(where i live) is Vespas exported to U.S at phenomenal rates..clients paying in USD !!! I atleast know 5 have gone in just last week.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 23:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow! another beauty in Ed's hand, sure will turn out rocking, all the best friend. I agree to Stanher statement atleast rotting at some garage waiting to fullfill the mechanic greed and meanwhile getting underground its is thousand times better going off shore.

You are right Ram people have not turned towards Vespas now there are couple of guys in Delhi who cater to other countries at an exhorbidant price and the quality of restoration is again ????.

We are lucky to have one for us and have the enthu to enjoy and upkeep them for lifetime.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 00:33   #7
BHPian

Hi again

Here's a picture of the Kelvinator rear mudguard (left) and a new SIL item (right). Regrettably I am going to have to replace the original plastic Kelvinator mudguard with a SIL item as whoever welded the new metal into the rear of the frame did it without removing the mudguard and as such, badly melted it in several places

As a matter of comparison you'll see that the Kelvinator item is grey plastic and has fewer mounting holes. It also has chevrons embossed into the plastic near the fixing hole - I can't see what purpose these serve other than being strengtheners?

Regards
Ed
Attached Images

Old 26th March 2011, 04:57   #8

cool ed!

i am anticipating to see how far you can rustaurate without repainting!
d4v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 16:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v3 View Post
cool ed!

i am anticipating to see how far you can rustaurate without repainting!
That makes 2 of us d4v3

Doing a project like this is always a compromise - you can rarely keep everything original but I'm hoping to get by as much as possible with alot of rust stabiliser and underseal. Items such as the wheel rims for example will be replaced for safety reasons as the existing items are badly rusted throughout.

Hopefully I'll get some more photos on here later this weekend.

Regards
Ed
Old 28th March 2011, 21:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ed

Just came across this thread and wow!, youve managed to get one Kelvinator with its stickering intact and that too in the UK To be very honest these were never popular in cities like Mumbai and I think this is really going to be probably the only thread that will hopefully document comprehensively this piece of Indian scootering history.

Keep up the good work and do post snippets of associated material like manuals, brochures etc whenever you come across them. The way things are going your most likely to find them in England then here

rgds Amol
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 23:31   #11
BHPian

Thanks for your interest Amol.

As promised everyone, here are more photos from work done in the weekend. I know it does not look alot, but to get the legshields cleaned up to this degree took 2 hours Remember, there was lots of over-spray on them (not all of which is apparent in the initial photos on this thread) and they took a great deal of rubbing with rags and T Cut. I then had to set about straightening the legshield bottom side edges with blocks of wood, small hammers and pipe grips - didn't make a bad job of it if I say so myself

Anyway, some observations by way of comparison with other 'Lambretta' scooters;

Note how the legshields are enclosed at the front - you have to slide these onto the frame downtube when fitting as opposed to springing them in from the rear of the tube as in the normal Lambretta fashion. As you can see, the 'tunnel' in the legshields that goes over the frame downtube is quite wide too.

Note also the many holes in the legshield flooring for the runners. I have no idea at this point what the runners for one of these look like - are they the regular Lambretta type or maybe more akin to those of a Vespa? - any information much appreciated.

You'll also notice that the original factory colour of the scooter was cream.

In photo 3 you can see that the inner legshield has strengthening plates incorporated as part of it's design.

Regards
Ed
Attached Images

Last edited by edsuede : 28th March 2011 at 23:33. Reason: ommision
Old 29th March 2011, 01:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ed,

They say pictures tell thousand words but in our business (Restoration) it isn't the case. I can understand the volume of work goes into the vehicle. I took 1 hr to clean the muck, grease on the exterior part of my Vespa's engine which now doesnt even show the sign of rubbing I had to do with the paint brush (though clean).

AFAIK the floor runners/channels were of the same kind as in Allwyn Pushpak.

By the by Ed how far has your Lamby come up can we get some news about that beauty.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 01:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Hi Ed,

They say pictures tell thousand words but in our business (Restoration) it isn't the case. I can understand the volume of work goes into the vehicle. I took 1 hr to clean the muck, grease on the exterior part of my Vespa's engine which now doesnt even show the sign of rubbing I had to do with the paint brush (though clean).

AFAIK the floor runners/channels were of the same kind as in Allwyn Pushpak.

By the by Ed how far has your Lamby come up can we get some news about that beauty.
Hi Bala

Thanks for the info regards the floor runners - I have some spare Vijai runners (same as the Allwyn) so will try them against the legshields to see how they match up.

I wish I could update my Lamby post but the sprayer still has my scooter - rest assured, the moment I get the bits back from him I will be photographing and then updating the Lamby thread.

Regards
Ed
Old 3rd April 2011, 22:49   #14
BHPian

An update;

Have been able to do more work on the frame this weekend as the areas needing welding have been attended to.

I have meticulously degeased and cleaned all the underneath area of the frame - hope it shows in my photos I played special attention to some large areas of rust (where repair welding has been done) - these areas have been carefully rubbed down with sandpaper and wire wool to remove as much surface rust as possible, then these areas were degreased. I've now applied several coats of grey rust stabiliser. The next step will be to apply a coat of underseal later in the week and then I can start to add components to the frame.

Regards
Ed
Attached Images

Old 3rd April 2011, 23:23   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks just like a Vijay Super. I guess many companies had clones of its but which is the original?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote