Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 17:51   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

was not the 1946 DODGE fluid drive sedan,1946 DESOTO,1946 PLYMOUTH and the WINDSOR all similar cars but with different front grills ?
Attached Images
  

Last edited by ajay99 : 26th March 2011 at 17:54.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 18:29   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 956 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Waw, what an awesome restoration. Congrats Jai. You have brought the 35 year old history back to life and reliving it. Many like me will be envious of it. Will like to hear accounts of what all was involved all these 2 years in garage, what problems had to be faced and how they got resolved. It would be difficult to put a cost to something so precious, but would be interestinng to know how it costed on various accounts.
parsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 20:38   #33
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,003
Thanked: 4,556 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
was not the 1946 DODGE fluid drive sedan,1946 DESOTO,1946 PLYMOUTH and the WINDSOR all similar cars but with different front grills ?
DPCD had different trims and specifications as they addressed different markets.

Top of the line was Chrysler, followed by Desoto, Dodge and lastly Plymouth. Only the Chrysler came with the 4.1L Spitfire Engines. The Chrysler was the "Mark Car" of DPCD.

Desoto has substantially more trim than Dodge and Plymouth but all these three cars sported the same engines. Minor changes in the bore result in Desoto having 2.36L, Dodge 2.30L and Plymouth 2.17L engines.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 19:29   #34
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Hi. suggest you concentrate on the trim a bit more. One strip on the bonnet is also missing.
But what is wrong with the Fluid Drive? Do let us know. Very few know how to make it run, there are a lot of electrical parts. If it does not work, do not drive the car, engine will rev high. And do NOT allow anyone to fiddle with the Fluid Drive syastem unless he can prove to you that he is fully aware of its workings.
Good Luck
Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 21:29   #35
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,003
Thanked: 4,556 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi. suggest you concentrate on the trim a bit more. One strip on the bonnet is also missing.
But what is wrong with the Fluid Drive? Do let us know. Very few know how to make it run, there are a lot of electrical parts. If it does not work, do not drive the car, engine will rev high. And do NOT allow anyone to fiddle with the Fluid Drive syastem unless he can prove to you that he is fully aware of its workings.
Good Luck
Cheers harit
Met with Jai last week and one the areas he is looking at is the solenoid switch in the gear box now that he has converted to 12V system.

The strip on the bonnet is on the way from US.

Sorry Jai for hijacking your thread

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 08:38   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 111
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

very nicely done! Were you able to restore the engine equally well? It seems there are some final touches needed. The dash & instrument panel have come
out well. Right side under the dash is perhaps under your careful eye.
Is it well that you picked out a nice pastel shade of green and not some crazy color !
Please post some photos of the engine compartment. How difficult was to find a replacement grill ?
priyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 11:02   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Hi Jai!

Splendid carftsmanship on this old lady! The transformation from 'was' to 'is', is simply superb! Great effort!

Just a few questions:
1. Are the wipers missing on the car?
2. Can you post engine bay pics? (would like to have a look just out of curosity)
3. How much time did it take to complete the project?

Kudos to you and your team who did this wonderful job!

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 13:03   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 155
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
very nicely done! Were you able to restore the engine equally well?
Please post some photos of the engine compartment. How difficult was to find a replacement grill ?
Thanks everybody. I got the grill from US (ebay) that too at a decent price. My cousin brought them in a big suitcase since it comes in 2 pieces. I dont have any decent engine bay pictures so will post as soon as I click them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Hi Jai!


Just a few questions:
1. Are the wipers missing on the car?
2. Can you post engine bay pics? (would like to have a look just out of curosity)
3. How much time did it take to complete the project?

Kudos to you and your team who did this wonderful job!

Cheers!
Thanks again !

1. No I have sourced one missing wiper arm so will fix them soon.
2. Will post them later.
3. It took 2 years to complete it.
Jai3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 21:46   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Excellent restoration work JAi,will you allow fellow bhpians like me to have a look at it?

Where in chennai does this beauty belong to
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 13:37   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,626
Thanked: 8,070 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
Thanks everybody. I got the grill from US (ebay) that too at a decent price. My cousin brought them in a big suitcase since it comes in 2 pieces.
I'm surprised you say the grille came from US, I thought you had it fabricated locally as the design is slightly simplified compared to the original (even the bits from the original pictures). The horizontal and vertical bars dont cross each other flush, but rather one on top of the other.

My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor-windsor01.jpg

Either way, what a transformation!
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 13:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Met with Jai last week and one the areas he is looking at is the solenoid switch in the gear box now that he has converted to 12V system. Cheers KPS
I missed this post. 12 volts will not work. So the gears are not changing, no wonder the car will overheat because constantly in high rev. There are atleast three electrical components, including some connection at the carb. Please study the wiring diagram, and try to examine a car with this set up working. Many cars were made to run when the electrician copied the wiring from a working car. Provided, the electrical parts were present and in order.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 15:22   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Jai ,which mechanic restored this car? he has done a good work ,especially paintwork
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 00:48   #43
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Jai ,which mechanic restored this car? he has done a good work ,especially paintwork
Did a mechanic do good work in painting? He certainly did not get the car running. I am in a good mood because of the cricket victory, no ill will intended here.
In case anyone ever has the opportunity to buy a car with automatic or fluid drive gears, please get that working first before tin/paint. And if there is 6 volt electrics, do not convert to 12 volt. And if one need help, feel free to contact. I would connect you with a capable guy.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 21:07   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 92 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Did a mechanic do good work in painting? He certainly did not get the car running. I am in a good mood because of the cricket victory, no ill will intended here.
In case anyone ever has the opportunity to buy a car with automatic or fluid drive gears, please get that working first before tin/paint. And if there is 6 volt electrics, do not convert to 12 volt. And if one need help, feel free to contact. I would connect you with a capable guy.

Cheers harit
Harit - i know mechanic doesnt do a painting job,my question was which workshop restored the car ,guess all the fellow BHPians will understand my question
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 14:41   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 155
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: My Pride - 1946 Chrysler Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'm surprised you say the grille came from US, I thought you had it fabricated locally as the design is slightly simplified compared to the original (even the bits from the original pictures). The horizontal and vertical bars dont cross each other flush, but rather one on top of the other.

Either way, what a transformation!
No Karl the grill was not fabricated here and yes the difference in design is because the one which came on the car was of steel (similar to a amby grill) and the one I bought was of casting (similar to a H14). Probably this grill belongs to a New Yorker or a Imperial anyway I preferred a casting grill since it lasts long and will have no issues of rusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Jai ,which mechanic restored this car? he has done a good work ,especially paintwork
Thanks first for the compliments. The car is right now parked in my friends place near Madras Club. The complete restoration work was done at Hi-Rev.
Jai3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1946-1948 Chrysler pilotcarl Post-War 35 11th February 2017 09:21
Tata Aria Pride - Zero Pride in Ownership indian21r Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 284 6th March 2014 13:30
Fiat & Chrysler in partnership talks! EDIT: Fiat completes Chrysler buyout madan80 The International Automotive Scene 61 30th January 2014 15:43
Chrysler in Deep trouble. Daimler-Chrysler Divorce? GTO The International Automotive Scene 21 5th April 2007 16:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks