Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Old 18th April 2011, 19:02   #1
BHPian

Default Jawa 1970 acquisition

Dear All, my dad's friend has a 1970 Jawa 250 cc with him since his initial days. The bike is in a so so condition and is hardly used.

I have had my eyes on the bike since many years but have not had the opportunity to ask him to sell it to me.

I am now planning to ask him however, have no idea about the bike. Request you all to kindly help me out regarding what things i have to check out before taking the bike in my custody.

Also, considering that the bike is from 1970, what are the parts that could have had the age effect and approximately the cost of restoration of the bike?

Have tried searching our forum for "jawa" restoration threads but have not got any much leads.

I would be posting the pics soon and would be keeping all updated regarding the restoration. The bike (as last seen) was pretty much in a state and needs help.

Await your advice
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 22:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Jawa 1970 acquisition

Try googling for Yezdi Jawa forums. There are a few on going now.

Post a picture of the bike (cover the number if you want to keep it private). Then I am sure that Gurus can give you ballpark figures at least

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350biker View Post
Dear All, my dad's friend has a 1970 Jawa 250 cc with him since his initial days. The bike is in a so so condition and is hardly used.

I have had my eyes on the bike since many years but have not had the opportunity to ask him to sell it to me.

I am now planning to ask him however, have no idea about the bike. Request you all to kindly help me out regarding what things i have to check out before taking the bike in my custody.

Also, considering that the bike is from 1970, what are the parts that could have had the age effect and approximately the cost of restoration of the bike?

Have tried searching our forum for "jawa" restoration threads but have not got any much leads.

I would be posting the pics soon and would be keeping all updated regarding the restoration. The bike (as last seen) was pretty much in a state and needs help.

Await your advice

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 18th April 2011 at 22:04.
r_nairtvm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 07:15   #3
BHPian

Which area is this bike located? Most bikes on the Western suburbs which are not cared for tend to be in pretty poor shape due to the high saline content in the air. I picked up a Yezdi model B from Goregaon which was in decent shape only because it was in a closed garage with a cover on top of the bike. Left out in the open the chances of rust increase exponentially.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 13:41   #4
BHPian

[quote=350biker;2318192]Dear All, my dad's friend has a 1970 Jawa 250 cc with him since his initial days. The bike is in a so so condition and is hardly used.

Hi

Congratulation's on your buy

I have restored my 1967 JAWA here in Mumbai and it took nearly 6 months to complete, it is very tough to source OE sprares in Mumbai now, hope you bring her to glory soon

All the best on your restoration
82rawath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 15:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82rawath View Post

Hi

Congratulation's on your buy

I have restored my 1967 JAWA here in Mumbai and it took nearly 6 months to complete, it is very tough to source OE sprares in Mumbai now, hope you bring her to glory soon

All the best on your restoration
Hi, thanks for the info. however would appreciate if you can let me know as to what parts was it tough to source?

I am from Nashik and there are quite a few jawas and yezdis still on road here. Also, these bikes are regularly used in smaller places like Shirdi, and other such places near Nashik.

It would be great if you can share your experience regarding sourcing of the parts. Incase I can be of any help, do let me know. Also, would appreciate if you can upload the pics of your bike or if a thread on the same already exists.
Old 19th April 2011, 15:21   #6
BHPian

I suggest you take custody of the bike first and take things from there. Parts can be arranged. Even if it is a rust-heap with just a usable frame and engine - worth restoring because there aren't too many examples around...
Old 19th April 2011, 15:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the info. however would appreciate if you can let me know as to what parts was it tough to source?

I am from Nashik and there are quite a few jawas and yezdis still on road here. Also, these bikes are regularly used in smaller places like Shirdi, and other such places near Nashik.

It would be great if you can share your experience regarding sourcing of the parts. Incase I can be of any help, do let me know. Also, would appreciate if you can upload the pics of your bike or if a thread on the same already exists.
You can PM me your phone number and i can let you know the do's and dont's from my restroration experience, also i have put up my bike in the classified section..
82rawath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 16:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Which area is this bike located? Most bikes on the Western suburbs which are not cared for tend to be in pretty poor shape due to the high saline content in the air. I picked up a Yezdi model B from Goregaon which was in decent shape only because it was in a closed garage with a cover on top of the bike. Left out in the open the chances of rust increase exponentially.

The biking is in Nasik and is lying in his factory since ages. Regarding rust, i doubt i there will be any because it is pretty dry weather out here. I will be visiting him during this weekend and if possible will click some pictures.

However, before going there i wanted to know as to what exactly i have to check out regarding the bike since i am completely new to Jawa.

I have a bullet with me and it has taught me a few good lessons. So i atleast have some idea about it. However, about Jawa i have no idea. Our forum too has a lot of yezdis (roadking, oilking, 350) but not many Jawa restoration threads.

Hence wanted an idea from you all.
Old 19th April 2011, 17:10   #9
BHPian

You will have to identify what level of restoration are you expecting, i mean are looking to do mods or getting to the OE factory spec of 1970

1.) Check if the engine cranks, check the head and block for any breaks or fin damage

2.) Are the points working, what about the wiring, most times the magnet weakens and people covert their jawa into a CDI, check if 6v coil is ok, it is again tough to get a 6v coil here in Mumbai

3.) Rims - It is tough to get the rims now and also tyres, it costed me 5200 for 2 tyres excluding the tube and after a long wait period

4.) Hubs - If it is a 1970 bike then it might have milling hubs and you will have to get the spoked fabricated for the same

5.) Condition of the Silencer - You get Eagle company silencers for around Rs 3000 including the bend pipes

6.) Shock Absobers - Again very tough to find new ones here in Mumbai, I got mine altered and fixed a bullet Armstrong shock absober

7.) Condition of the Petrol Tank - You can find a used one, make sure that the JAWA inscribed is properly visible

I can think of these at the moment, it all depends on what is the condition of the vehicle you are buying and if you post pics we can sought it out

Cheers
82rawath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 17:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82rawath View Post
You will have to identify what level of restoration are you expecting, i mean are looking to do mods or getting to the OE factory spec of 1970

1.) Check if the engine cranks, check the head and block for any breaks or fin damage

2.) Are the points working, what about the wiring, most times the magnet weakens and people covert their jawa into a CDI, check if 6v coil is ok, it is again tough to get a 6v coil here in Mumbai

3.) Rims - It is tough to get the rims now and also tyres, it costed me 5200 for 2 tyres excluding the tube and after a long wait period

4.) Hubs - If it is a 1970 bike then it might have milling hubs and you will have to get the spoked fabricated for the same

5.) Condition of the Silencer - You get Eagle company silencers for around Rs 3000 including the bend pipes

6.) Shock Absobers - Again very tough to find new ones here in Mumbai, I got mine altered and fixed a bullet Armstrong shock absober

7.) Condition of the Petrol Tank - You can find a used one, make sure that the JAWA inscribed is properly visible

I can think of these at the moment, it all depends on what is the condition of the vehicle you are buying and if you post pics we can sought it out

Cheers
Thanks a lot rawatbhai, your post will surely help me a lot on this weekend. I will post the pics as soon as possible and then we can discuss further.

Appreciate your help.
Old 19th April 2011, 18:17   #11
BHPian

All I can say is - whatever the condition, take custody of the bike. If you aren't willing to restore it I am sure someone else will be. It costs money, involves a lot of running around but if you know the right people then you should get what you need to get the job done. Just be prepared for the time/money investment part.

I think it is worth it...too few of these in good shape running around.
Old 29th April 2011, 11:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot rawatbhai, your post will surely help me a lot on this weekend. I will post the pics as soon as possible and then we can discuss further.

Appreciate your help.
Dear 82Rawat

Milling Hubs were discontinued after 1968 also you can use normal yezdi spokes on the hubs by cutting them and applying threads on them.

350Biker i am also from nashik and own 2 jawas with me, you have to patient and have to search for spares but as per my experience you will get all of them.
I will suggest you to propcure the bike make a audit off all the non working/replacement spares with the help of mechie, then start acquiring them.

I think age will not affect the bike also cost of restoration cannot be predicted depending upon the amount of work to be done on the bike

Regards,
Ranjit
jawabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 22:41   #13
BHPian

Like everyone said, just go ahead and pick it up. A 1970 model is not very difficult to restore. U can always get the bike and collect spares if need be. These bikes are built to last, so you can be pretty safe with the engine and chassis. What you need to look out for are the cosmetic/body parts, which will set you back a few thousands to buy. Handle bar, throttle assembly, taillight, doublecup shocks, front mudguard, headlight nacelle: These are some things that were very commonly changed on a jawa for practical and availability reasons and these are the ones that are very expensive.

Search for my thread here where I have restored a 1962 jawa. All the best
TuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 23:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
All I can say is - whatever the condition, take custody of the bike. If you aren't willing to restore it I am sure someone else will be. It costs money, involves a lot of running around but if you know the right people then you should get what you need to get the job done. Just be prepared for the time/money investment part.

I think it is worth it...too few of these in good shape running around.
The bike is worth its weight in gold. Yes, it takes a lot of effort and time and a little money to restore, but all will be worth it when it is done.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2011, 15:09   #15
BHPian

Hey 350 biker,

Did you purchase the bike? If yes please post pics of it.

Regards,
Ranjit
jawabiker is offline   Reply With Quote