Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 2nd February 2012, 12:00   #16
BHPian

Default Re: 1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started

Hi Vintagepoint5,

Thanks for the pics, really appreciate it.
damasthebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 16:58   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi dhamasthebiker, this is a photo of a Morris taken in 1942 in Agra. What is that building in the back ground?
You will note that white paint on the mudguards, this is because of the war time.
1942 Agra was written on the photo when I got it.
Hope you like.

Cheers Harit
Attached Thumbnails
1942 Morris 8 four door restoration started-agra.jpg  

harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi dhamasthebiker, this is a photo of a Morris taken in 1942 in Agra. What is that building in the back ground?
You will note that white paint on the mudguards, this is because of the war time.
Hope you like.

Cheers Harit
Harit ji,which war this car must have seen in 1942.Pls note it has a sun roof also in those days !!! You are right about that white paint on mudguards.
I have seen and done the same painting on our 1965 Amby mark2 during India Pakistan war in seventies.It included painting the headlights with black paint,with little portion left open.
The white painting strips on mudguards,bumpers,running boards was done for night driving in the city during BLACKOUT,pls correct me if I am wrong sir ji.

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 3rd February 2012 at 17:47.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hope you like.

Cheers Harit
This pic seems to be taken outside a britisher´s bunglow (in those days). Such bunglows still stand(though not in really good state but maintained) and are now under cantt. board as residences for the elite officers or mess or army/air force offices. Agra still has a big Army and Airforce base which is very active.

The car is definately not the one which I own now - unfortunately mine doesnt have a sun roof :-(...
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:40   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Harit ji,which war this car must have seen in 1942.......
, but....It was World War II, at that time there were lots of American servicemen stationed in Calcutta and there are photos of vehicles with war paint on the Nostalgic pictures thread. Other places like Mumbai and Karachi did not require this, reason being that the Japanese were nearer to Calcutta. I did not know that this rule applied to Agra, maybe they were visitors from Calcutta.
In 1971 in Mumbai we had to drive with dipped lights, and half the headlight was coated with black paint. But we did not put white paint on the cars. One night there was an alarm that Pakistani planes are nearing Bombay and there was a lot of antiaircraft fire, one battery was placed where Priyadarshini Park is today and we collected shell reains from the building terrace. At that time my mother warned all to stay indoors because falling shell could injure and kill.
That was a long time ago, hopefully will not happen again.
Now let us get to the Morris.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 23:13   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

again, sorry!
Quote:
In 1971 in Mumbai we had to drive with dipped lights, and half the headlight was coated with black paint.
'twas the case in EVERY part of India until recently (well, I dont see it done on the new-gen car headlights!). In Madras, however, they were required to paint a black dot in the centre of the headlamp glass instead. 'gave the car an oddly comical look I suppose!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 23:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
It was very nice of KPS to put up pictures for you for reference.
The most difficult part for you may be the headlights, these are oval and because they are difficult to come by a few cars have had them modified. I suggest that you make a list of parts and when people come across these they can help you.
Please do keep posting pictures, and work on the mechanicals as well.

Cheers harit
Hi,

I have a pair of oval glasses - will give away if you are maintaining the original standards .

Regards
Chauhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
This pic seems to be taken outside a britisher´s bunglow (in those days). Such bunglows still stand(though not in really good state but maintained) and are now under cantt. board as residences for the elite officers or mess or army/air force offices. Agra still has a big Army and Airforce base which is very active.

The car is definately not the one which I own now - unfortunately mine doesnt have a sun roof :-(...
Dear damasthebiker,

Bungalows still exist in Civil Lines , BM Sirkar Road & Khandari to be exact , as you are in Agra , I would suggest please check Dr. Sirkar's bungalow - the building still stands behind the new structure, could be the same building as in the photograph.

Regards
Chauhan

Last edited by karlosdeville : 6th February 2012 at 10:38. Reason: Consecutive posts
vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 09:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
Thanks Mate, yes this a UP registered car.

Dear KPS,

Thanks for pictures, the car is infact very well restored and I hope I will get close to it at the end. Please let the inputs coming in, all pictures, technical datas, details all are welcome. Your help will give this car a new life and hopefully a longer one this time!!

The parts are almost complete I need only few things like the headlights(complete assembly), Tail Lights, Side indicators(door center pillars), Front Grill, Radiator, Petrol tank, Horn switch assembley(on steering), Starting Handle(to start the car manually), front and rear bumpers will also help! - If anyone knows of these parts available anywhere I will be more than thankfull.

The prices do not distract me as I have no intention of selling it. I am a collector(mainly of vintage motorcycles) myself and would like to remain that ways.

regards
For the semaphore indicators (side repeaters on door pillar) you can contact ajay99, he might be able to help you out in this regard as he has a knack of finding these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hi,

I have a pair of oval glasses - will give away if you are maintaining the original standards .

Regards
Chauhan
Nice to see you back on TBHP after a long gap Capt. Chauhan.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 17:11   #24
BHPian

Hello Sagar ,

Have been out of station most of the time . I have not seen you at any of the vintage meets.

Will be back first week March , can we meet ??
I have lost my last cell phone so all contact details lost!

Regards
Chauhan
vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 15:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Hello Sagar ,

Have been out of station most of the time . I have not seen you at any of the vintage meets.

Will be back first week March , can we meet ??
I have lost my last cell phone so all contact details lost!

Regards
Chauhan
Have been trying to send you a PM but seems your stored pvt. message quota is full. Please do the needful as i would refrain from posting anything private, on public forum. Hope you understand.

PS: Sorry for hijacking your thread damasthebiker

Last edited by samsag12 : 10th February 2012 at 15:08.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 11:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basky View Post

If you have a compressor, try getting a sand blaster.
Damsthebiker,

With due respect to Basky's views, I would strongly suggest that you do not sandblast any part of the car.

I say this because from the pics you have posted, there is a lot of corrosion in many areas. When you sandblast these areas, all the metal will be blown off and you won't have any pattern to go by for making the new panels.

Sandblasting is good when you have a relatively solid structure but light corrosion in few areas or you want an absolutely smooth finish on already good metal. Sandblasting a good chassis is great. Sandblasting a corroded chassis is bad.

I would suggest you cut out the rotten parts, see the patterns and then replace them with new sheets and of course follow a thorough anti rust process using chemicals, epoxy based primers etc.

Also remember that if you sandblast gearboxes, engines etc. you may not be able to get rid of all the grains of sand or whatever you used for blasting.

I too wanted to sandblast my car, but when the restorer saw the condition of the undercarriage, he refused. I tried very hard to change his mind but he didn't budge and he had a very good reason, which I realised much later so my suggestion is not without reason

Best Regards
mbz180
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2012, 13:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I would strongly suggest that you do not sandblast any part of the car.
I would suggest you cut out the rotten parts, see the patterns and then replace them with new sheets and of course follow a thorough anti rust process using chemicals, epoxy based primers etc.
Point taken. Logical and valid if you have problems of structural integrity. Use sensibly. Sandblasting is used extensively in restoration abroad. They wind up with a very clean surface which makes it easier to protect well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Also remember that if you sandblast gearboxes, engines etc. you may not be able to get rid of all the grains of sand or whatever you used for blasting.
Care Required. Suggested sandblasting only the exterior of engines and gear boxes (with sensible precautions to prevent ingress of particles into the machinery). Use a pressure washer to clean off after sandblasting.

I normally use the sandblaster only on older rust prone cars, at low pressure for slow controlled cleaning (and low rebound of particles ). Cleans off the caked oil and muck reasonably fast leaving a bright surface.
basky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 19:32   #28
BHPian

Hi mbz180, basky,

I have taken the middle path - I m getting the rough, visibally bigger metal work done first by doing all the patch work. I will restore the shapes and curves first, in this way I will retain the original lines of the structure. Once I am through with this I will send the structure for sandblasting.
This way I will be able to get a clean surface on the metal and whichever places are week and have been left out(because they were hidden under the rust and corrosion)will become visible and can be repaired easily!

I do not wish to sandblast the engine, though I would give it a nice kerosine bath and hope that this would do the trick!

regards
Old 17th February 2012, 19:38   #29
BHPian

Hi Chauhan Sb.,

Glasses would be of great help to start with!! Thanks - I will PM you with my details.

The Bunglows in Khandari are have more or less disaapeared over the year - thanks to the builders!! But would definately go there check out as I live in khandari area only!!

@Ajay99 - If you are reading contact me Bhai!! I NEED these indicators!!
Old 7th April 2012, 12:07   #30
BHPian

Hi Damasthebiker,

Any update, how the restoration work going on, please update with pics would be glad to hear.

Good Luck!
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote