Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 18th March 2012, 20:49   #1
BHPian

Default Kolkata - 1929 Baby Austin

Here's a magnificent restoration of a 1929 Baby Austin done by Sanjay Gosh for one of his clients in Orissa that was shipped out with Awesome 1929 Buick 49X.

Unfortunately I don't have shots of the car before and during restoration, hopefully Sanjay has some photos to post.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata - 1929 Baby Austin-dsc03679.jpg  

Kolkata - 1929 Baby Austin-dsc03681.jpg  

Kolkata - 1929 Baby Austin-dsc03680.jpg  

Kolkata - 1929 Baby Austin-dsc03705.jpg  

Kolkata - 1929 Baby Austin-dsc03678.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Kolkata - 1929 Baby Austin

Thanks for sharing John - the car does look delightful. I wonder what she would be like to drive. What was the condition prior to restoration?

Its amazing how so many early Austins survived in India - I suppose considering how rudimentary they were.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne
Here's a magnificent restoration of a 1929 Baby Austin done by Sanjay Gosh for one of his clients in Orissa that was shipped out with Awesome 1929 Buick 49X.

Unfortunately I don't have shots of the car before and during restoration, hopefully Sanjay has some photos to post.
Nice but same set of four colours from him.

Cheers
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 00:54   #4
BHPian

I think an Austin deserves the full treatment also, in a rich man's stable especially, where there's no skimping on the higher marques! The engine bay in the Austin appears a bit rough to me, and those mobike tyres (MRFs?) - c'mon!
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 02:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I think an Austin deserves the full treatment also, in a rich man's stable especially, where there's no skimping on the higher marques! The engine bay in the Austin appears a bit rough to me, and those mobike tyres (MRFs?) - c'mon!
careful prabal, how dare you criticize such a fine car! that too from your neck of the woods!! its not rough, its an unpolished diamond. cant you see the dull reflection of patina shining through!
as for tyres, goi has severely restricted import of tyres, legally tyres need an isi certification to be imported, so we are back to licence raj as far as tyres are concerned, people who manage to clear their whitewalls should consider themselves very lucky. we will be seeing more cars on adv tyres again i guess
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 07:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Car is completely shod with MRF NYLOGRIP 3.00 * 18 bike tyres.
It takes a lot more than money to get a car to this stage.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 13:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Yes the engine bay is definitely rough. But in case you meant that the Austin is going to the same rich man's stable as the other car, it's not. It is going to Orrisa but not as a part of the rich man's collection.

Regards
mbz180
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 01:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
careful prabal, how dare you criticize such a fine car! that too from your neck of the woods!! its not rough, its an unpolished diamond. cant you see the dull reflection of patina shining through!
as for tyres, goi has severely restricted import of tyres, legally tyres need an isi certification to be imported, so we are back to licence raj as far as tyres are concerned, people who manage to clear their whitewalls should consider themselves very lucky. we will be seeing more cars on adv tyres again i guess
Hahaha indeed Awini, how dare I not call a spade a shovel?! The tyre import restrictions notwithstanding, am sure a previously imported set for the Chummy was already available on our shores when the restoration was done, since the Buick was probably done simultaneously. However, in light of mbz180's post below, maybe the owner of the Austin couldn't afford them, so let's pass on the tyre issue. But, how much more would a tidier engine bay have cost? I know your post was tongue-in-cheek, am just thinking out loud, now since even my suitable surname will not stand me in any good in didi's woods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Yes the engine bay is definitely rough. But in case you meant that the Austin is going to the same rich man's stable as the other car, it's not. It is going to Orrisa but not as a part of the rich man's collection.
Regards
mbz180
Thanks, that clarifies the ownerships of the cars, and therefore a different (possibly lesser) restoration budget apportioned to the Austin, not enabling, therefore maybe, a job of the same quality as the Buick. Which at least means that we can't call both a marvelous job!
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote