Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
You can get it from bookadda
Scroll up on this page to wasif's post for the link
Did you recieve your copy ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 12:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 'Rolls Royce 17 EX - A Fabulous Destiny' by Gautam Sen

Just got my copy of this wonderfull book, direct from France, thanks a million to Gautam Sen for sending it to me.

Looks superb, yet to read it but the pictures are fantastic and the print and format is excellent
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 15:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Did you recieve your copy ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Just got my copy of this wonderfull book, direct from France, thanks a million to Gautam Sen for sending it to me.

Looks superb, yet to read it but the pictures are fantastic and the print and format is excellent
Yep I too got mine. Was your book autographed too by Gautam in the inner page? No wonder it took so long all the way from France

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 16th April 2013 at 15:41.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 16:50   #34
BHPian

I just borrowed the book from Bumpu "Sir-Car" on penalty of not working on my car if i didn't return it.

What a Great Read, filled with so much information about the RR-17EX, Rolls-Royce and the magic of India during it's Hey Day plus all the fabulous photographs!

The story of the Mitter family's vacation trip to Hazaribagh was so absolutely captivating that I plan on retracing their steps and seeing what is left of all the historical sites along the way when we return to Calcutta in October.

Anyone want to join my wife and I?
john a milne is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:38   #35
BHPian

Amazing Pics , Got my Copy of the book a while back , and have spent a long time just looking at the old period pics. I just would have hoped that we could have saved some of the priceless cars that the Mitters owned. I will have old period pics of Loudon street as we used to live there till about 10 years back and my great grandfather had built the house . Let me look them up and see if i can find any cars in them .

The chowrangee road picture is especially poignant as we own the building across the road from the present LIC/Big Bazaar building , and my father recollected some amazing times gone by after looking at it.

Last edited by wbd8779 : 23rd December 2013 at 15:45.
wbd8779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 17:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I just borrowed the book from Bumpu "Sir-Car" on penalty of not working on my car if i didn't return it.

What a Great Read, filled with so much information about the RR-17EX, Rolls-Royce and the magic of India during it's Hey Day plus all the fabulous photographs!

The story of the Mitter family's vacation trip to Hazaribagh was so absolutely captivating that I plan on retracing their steps and seeing what is left of all the historical sites along the way when we return to Calcutta in October.

Anyone want to join my wife and I?
>>>

Did you retrace the steps? If so, a travelogue will be inspirational.

Regards
issigonis
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 13:55   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Gautam Sen, widely acknowledged as the leading automotive journalist and writer in India, has done extensive research and been afforded unique access to the families that have owned 17EX at various points of time. Other than being in touch with the grandson of the Maharaja of Kashmir, 17EX’s first owner, Sen knows very well the son of the second owner, P K Mitter of Calcutta, and the family of Protap Roy who ‘rediscovered’ the car in the 1960s.
Yesterday I met Mr. U.K Pandey in Allahabad and he showed me a picture of a RR with his father Kunwar Indra Narayan posing next to it, Travanacore further confirmed that the car is none other than the Ex Kashmir 17EX, the very subject of this book.

Quoting Travancore
Quote:
The car is the ex-Kashmir RR PI, Chassis 17EX. The history shows that it was owned by a "Greta Devi" of Allahabad in 1944. That is a strange name - maybe it was misspelt!
Well, "Greta Devi" is actually Late Girija Devi, wife of Kunwar Indra Narayan and mother of Mr. UK. Pandey, he knows very little about the car except that his father owned it for sometime and this is the only picture they have.

'Rolls Royce 17 EX - A Fabulous Destiny' by Gautam Sen-20180225_205050.jpg
KartikeyaL is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 17:51   #38
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Well, "Greta Devi" is actually Late Girija Devi, wife of Kunwar Indra Narayan and mother of Mr. UK. Pandey, he knows very little about the car except that his father owned it for sometime and this is the only picture they have.
Amazing Kartik that you have been able to actually authenticate the information from 1944 with this photo.

TBHP is a great Forum because of such fantastic information being shared.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 20:06   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Amazing Kartik that you have been able to actually authenticate the information from 1944 with this photo.

Cheers

KPS
Sometimes the pieces fall into place - standing on the shoulders of those stalwarts in automotive history (in this case Andre)

More often, trying to identify cars ends up being an exercise in futility, not to mention frustration
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 11:08   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Cheers
KPS
Absolutely true, KPS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Sometimes the pieces fall into place - standing on the shoulders of those stalwarts in automotive history (in this case Andre)
You yourself are an encyclopedia with unimaginable knowledge, thanks for always helping out !

Coming back to the 17EX, I have asked the family if they can help us find more pictures, hopefully they would !
KartikeyaL is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2018, 11:24   #41

Coming back to this thread after a while. I've always wondered, with tons of people around the world rebodying their Rolls-Royces, why has no one every considered bodying (as well as making the correct mechanical updates) their P1s into a 10EX or 17EX body.

That was kind of the reason behind making the Experimentals. I've been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks and found out it was very common for 1st and 2nd generation P1 owners to make mechanical updates to their cars when they were introduced in the following models. This was because it was not feasible to spend more money than the price of a regular house just to buy the latest model.

The 17EX did have several 'experimental' features, and some of them more than decades ahead of its time. For those who have read the book, you can find that that in the 20s, RR had already come up with suspension settings. A small bolt behind the rear wheels that have the names of different cities- i.e., having different suspension setting based on the kind of surface you most likely found in those cities. (I was blown away by this when I saw it a few years back while reading the book myself).
Many such features were incorporated in these experimental models and they were done to demonstrate their capabilities to their customers, who could have these in their own cars.

But going back to what i started with- I really dont know why someone who has rebodied their car, or made alterations to the original, have not tried out a 10EX or 17EX body. Im not a fan of the word replica, and i dont think if someone made one and didnt claim it to be a 17EX, it definitely would not be. A lot of owners got their pre-war cars rebodied in 60s and 70s, so what if someone who had a P1, just wanted to make it better the same way RR did years ago?

I dont know of a single P1 with the 10EX or 17EX body other than the originals. Let me know what you guys think. Would love to have other peoples take on it.
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote