Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 23:36   #331
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

So are they both the same car or two different cars ???
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 12:37   #332
BHPian
 
dhrishikesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 794
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Hi all,
can anyone please provide me the link for downloading "The Automobiles Of Maharajas" in PDF format; written by Manvendra Singh ???

Regards,
Hrishikesh
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 19:33   #333
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Hi all,
can anyone please provide me the link for downloading "The Automobiles Of Maharajas" in PDF format; written by Manvendra Singh ???

Regards,
Hrishikesh
Dude I dont think thats legal, its a clear violation of copyright laws to covert a book into pdf and then post it for download. You wont find this kind of stuff on this website.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 19:58   #334
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dude I dont think thats legal, its a clear violation of copyright laws to covert a book into pdf and then post it for download. You wont find this kind of stuff on this website.
Yup. They are actually selling copies. I got a good deal buying it from Albris. Good luck.

Fantastic book to have. I was a bit dissapointed as I was actually expecting it to document the cars that belonged to each Royal family in the form of seperate chapters.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 11:37   #335
BHPian
 
vintagepoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jeddah/Hyd
Posts: 409
Thanked: 33 Times
Default re: Book "Automobile of the Maharajas"

I find one nice print at Hyd prominent book shop for Rs. 3500/= last year.
I was expecting lot of coverage of Nizam's car in the book, but covered briefly mostly the contents is of North India. But still it is good informative peace of history.
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 04:31   #336
BHPian
 
Star man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brisbane Qld.Australia
Posts: 107
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dude I dont think thats legal, its a clear violation of copyright laws to covert a book into pdf and then post it for download. You wont find this kind of stuff on this website.
Unless you go to Google books where it appears that anything goes. I have found copies of lots books which I guess are still covered by some form of copyright.
Amazon dot com have millions of titles listed on site for sale including used books and this is the first place to look when trying to find an obscure book. i had a collection of cherished car books that i had spent 40 years collecting and it wasn't until the lot got stolen in 2000 that I found that the value was many many times the insurance cover I had on them. This is because car books in general are very low volume in print and often go out of print quickly. Low volume means big demand and so on and so forth.
Star man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 10:28   #337
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
Unless you go to Google books where it appears that anything goes. I have found copies of lots books which I guess are still covered by some form of copyright.
Amazon dot com have millions of titles listed on site for sale including used books and this is the first place to look when trying to find an obscure book. i had a collection of cherished car books that i had spent 40 years collecting and it wasn't until the lot got stolen in 2000 that I found that the value was many many times the insurance cover I had on them. This is because car books in general are very low volume in print and often go out of print quickly. Low volume means big demand and so on and so forth.
What Google books and Amazon are doing amongst others is to sell copies of various books. They could be new or used out of print or current editions.

But what they are not doing is selling or permitting downloads of scanned or electronic versions of said books. This is perfectly legal and a boon to us enthuseasts who are looking for obscure titles.

Kindle on the other hand is a device which is designed to let the user read books in an electronic format. Not all books are available in this manner but those that are are authorised by the publisher / author. Again a very legal practice.

Now scanning and offering downloads of such scanned litrature is a violation of copyright laws in any country. Not a practice to be condoned or sought on this forum.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 14:42   #338
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,326
Thanked: 5,992 Times
Default

Some absolutely stunning period photographs of Baroda.

Picasa Web Albums - Raphae - 1920s Baroda ...

Unfortunately no cars, but a couple of photos of carriages and a spiffy plane can be seen.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 15:19   #339
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default

There is an article on a Horsch ex-Bharatpur in the May issue of Auto India. According to the article, this car left India in 1933/34. Now in Australia and soon the be auctioned. Go buy/borrow the issue and read the article.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 16:54   #340
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
There is an article on a Horsch ex-Bharatpur in the May issue of Auto India. According to the article, this car left India in 1933/34. Now in Australia and soon the be auctioned. Go buy/borrow the issue and read the article.

Cheers harit
Is it light / sky blue with black fenders. If so I have posted pics of this car somewhere in this thread.

BTW its Horch

WA
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:20   #341
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,326
Thanked: 5,992 Times
Default

A nice shot of a Mercedes 180 can be seen here. Not a royal car, but a state car nonetheless.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1396859-post414.html
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 04:19   #342
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,692
Thanked: 3,097 Times
Default Vintage Maharaja Cars

Check out this Vanity Fair Story (and all 18 pictures) - it is worth it.
A Vroom of Their Own | vanityfair.com

Also wish if we could get to see some of these pictures in Mr.Bhogilal's collection (only car I can positively identify is the ex-Rajkot Chrysler Airflow; and maybe the Nawanagar Lanchester he is holding). Also looks like a Bentley Speed Six / 6.5 Ltr towards the bottom right corner (black car)

source: Vanity Fair (picture cropped)
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-bhogilal-vintage-car-pictures-large.jpg
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 08:03   #343
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,327
Thanked: 5,261 Times
Default

The Maharajah's did not just stick to cars, some went ahead and got themselves planes as well. As seen below from a flight magazine dating back to 1910, the Maharajah of Patiala's Lane-Farman biplane:
Attached Images
 

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th August 2009 at 08:04.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 10:44   #344
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,326
Thanked: 5,992 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The Maharajah's did not just stick to cars, some went ahead and got themselves planes as well. As seen below from a flight magazine dating back to 1910, the Maharajah of Patiala's Lane-Farman biplane:
The ruler of Idar was known to be a keen aviator, which is probably what made him purchase a Farman car as well.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 13:59   #345
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 916 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Check out this Vanity Fair Story (and all 18 pictures) - it is worth it.
A Vroom of Their Own | vanityfair.com

Also wish if we could get to see some of these pictures in Mr.Bhogilal's collection (only car I can positively identify is the ex-Rajkot Chrysler Airflow; and maybe the Nawanagar Lanchester he is holding). Also looks like a Bentley Speed Six / 6.5 Ltr towards the bottom right corner (black car)

source: Vanity Fair (picture cropped)
Attachment 169437

They are pictures of Mr.Bhogilals cars and it is he who is holding the picture with he daughter seated to the left.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Book Review : The Maharajas & Their Magnificent Motor Cars IndrojitSircar Vintage Cars & Classics in India 42 4th June 2013 14:25
Top 10 cars... before you were born Revvmaster The International Automotive Scene 22 25th February 2005 10:27
So you thought M cars were great- Well read again! Revvmaster The International Automotive Scene 12 30th December 2004 17:22
Cars for the Super-Rich _Crazi4Speed_ The International Automotive Scene 2 6th March 2004 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks