Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 6th October 2009, 12:50   #421
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I was to say the same thing. Another possibility is that the bell was added later, after restoration, to increase its "Maharaja provenance".
Its there in the period photo too Karlos so it looks like a accessory from start. Unless as you say the car was restored once in blue when this (b&W picture) and the earlier picture (in colour) were taken, with the accessory added. The colour picture looks fairly new doesn't it?

One other explanation is this car went out of India in that fabulous condition, and the new number plates just added ! What are the chances the car was in such a great condition when the colour picture was taken? The above could be an older picture?

Something just cropped up in my mind. The bells on the Bharatpur cars were stated to be added so cattle on the road are not overly alarmed by the sound of a horn. BUT look at this car which clearly was used for hunts. Now a bell would be recognised by a tiger as cattle nearby and be drawn to it, interesting. So was this bell a ploy to draw tigers to the car?

Last edited by DKG : 6th October 2009 at 12:56.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 14:05   #422
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Something just cropped up in my mind. The bells on the Bharatpur cars were stated to be added so cattle on the road are not overly alarmed by the sound of a horn. BUT look at this car which clearly was used for hunts. Now a bell would be recognised by a tiger as cattle nearby and be drawn to it, interesting. So was this bell a ploy to draw tigers to the car?
If anything I should think the bell would shoo the animal away.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 14:39   #423
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If anything I should think the bell would shoo the animal away.
Cattle was always used as bait and animals would identify cattle easily from the sound of bells. Its an age old trick to draw tigers in, tying up cattle by a machaan. Invariably the sounds of cattle (I should think bells included) made tigers drool

All these old cars would have been whisper quiet and with leaf spring suspension quite tractable on jungle trails. On a big 8 or 6 in first gear the car would hardly make any noise in the jungle except for the tinkling of a bell

Infact even to this day, cattle on the move is easily identifiable by the sound of bells

When you visit Bharatpur or Alwar and see the pathetic state these Maharajahs left their states in you wonder if they ever were such benevolent rulers caring about their subjects so much as to even be botheed not to disturb cattle on the road with electric horns !

All they ever cared for is to party in Europe, build huge palaces and hunt to their heart's content. Bells and tigers? makes more sense to me

Last edited by DKG : 6th October 2009 at 14:55.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 23:57   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Hi Harit:
Can any pictures in the book help decide if the two cars in post # 372 (one Khairpur anf the other supposedly Kashmir) are the same car or not ?

The second (colour) photo in that post has the scuttle mounted spot lamp just behind the bonnet hinge line - hence may indeed be the Kashmir car.

Interesting that the Khairpur car also first went "Down Under" from Bombay!
Travancore, you are a sleuth. How do you guys find all this stuff on the net?
I would suspect that these are the same cars, though there are differences. The Kashmir car is claimed a 1930, the Khaipur car a 1932. Kashmir car had 11000 miles on the clock, the Khaipur car 32000. The Kashmir car, according to the book, was bought by an American who took her to NY. This car was sitting on blocks in India. The owner in 1981 when the book was published was Mr. Geoffrey Davis. But car was restored in UK.
In the end, I feel that there were indeed 2 cars in India. Hard luck both left India for Australia, now where are they?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 6th October 2009 at 23:58.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 00:47   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Cattle was always used as bait and animals would identify cattle easily from the sound of bells. Its an age old trick to draw tigers in, tying up cattle by a machaan.
I thought goats made bate for drawing big cats, that their cries drew the game. Noise, bright colored clothes and perfume give it away.
Wouldn't the lights used for spotting game be called a Spot light/Search light and be powered by a separate battery?
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 01:40   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Travancore, you are a sleuth. How do you guys find all this stuff on the net?
I would suspect that these are the same cars, though there are differences. The Kashmir car is claimed a 1930, the Khaipur car a 1932. Kashmir car had 11000 miles on the clock, the Khaipur car 32000. The Kashmir car, according to the book, was bought by an American who took her to NY. This car was sitting on blocks in India. The owner in 1981 when the book was published was Mr. Geoffrey Davis. But car was restored in UK.
In the end, I feel that there were indeed 2 cars in India. Hard luck both left India for Australia, now where are they?

Cheers harit
Thanks Harit.
Other than the mileage differences (and good mechanical condition vs sitting on blocks), I am starting to think they are the same car. May have gone from Kashmir to Khairpur or vice versa at some point.

The history of the "Khairpur" car goes as follows:

1. Bought by James Harwood (for Mr. Jurist of New York)
2. Car shipped from Bombay to Australia (Freemantle) and on to New York
3. Car bought, imported to U.K (Peterborough) and reconditioned by Colin Crabbe
4. Resold / On-sold to a doctor in Australia .

Too many similarities with the history you have quoted for the "Kashmir" car!
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 01:52   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
I thought goats made bate for drawing big cats, that their cries drew the game. Noise, bright colored clothes and perfume give it away.
Wouldn't the lights used for spotting game be called a Spot light/Search light and be powered by a separate battery?

They might have been used for that game but don't think they would have a different battry because many cars have the spot light on one side called as the shikar light and are generally conected to the same battery.Apart from that how would they charge two batteries in the same car?Have two differnt or one dynamo charging well i don't think that's possible.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 02:10   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Apart from that how would they charge two batteries in the same car?