Team-BHP - How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/2653-how-rich-were-maharajas-before-independence-cars-maharajas-57.html)

Bumper and door handles are typical 1929-30 Packard, but very unique coachwork.

Another picture from Udaipur which also looks like a Royal car, with I suppose British Passengers !!

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-udaipur-old-photos-16.jpg

Find it here :
http://freecodeproject.blogspot.in/2...aipur-100.html

Kartik

Quote:

Originally Posted by KartikeyaL (Post 3242137)
Another picture from Udaipur which also looks like a Royal car, with I suppose British Passengers !!

Attachment 1140637

Find it here :
http://freecodeproject.blogspot.in/2...aipur-100.html

Kartik

Thanks.

I believe this picture of the Udaipur Daimler was taken during the Viceroy's visit. Attached is another picture (might be same car) from The Graphic, Jan 1917. I also have a side view somewhere.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-udaipur-viceroy-daimler-1917-cropped.jpg

Its Dussera, and that means its time for the Kolhapur Maybach to attend the annual celebrations

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-photo.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 3263922)
Its Dussera, and that means its time for the Kolhapur Maybach to attend the annual celebrations

Attachment 1151776

Thanks Karlos for the write up.

Attached is another picture from the not too distant past - looks like the peacock still lights up ( at least on the left wing).

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-kohlapur-maybach-dassara.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 2945690)
It is legend that Bahawalpur had two Cadillac V-16's .

One is BWP -133 that we have seen pictures of on this site:

Not sure if this is the "other twin" or BWP-133. Seems to have the same Lancefield features, including the retractable steps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasif (Post 2945727)
The second V16 indeed is a legend or most likely a phantom car ! No pics have ever surfaced of it so far.
!

Wasifbhai I found two pics on FB of the BWP car one of which I haven't seen before, and with florescent highlighter too :p . seem to be the same carHow rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-548153_10151116103491802_1990398701.jpgHow rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-529247_10151116102971802_1164095881.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar (Post 3276313)
Wasifbhai I found two pics on FB of the BWP car one of which I haven't seen before, and with florescent highlighter too :p . seem to be the same carAttachment 1157986Attachment 1157987

Of course the same car, thanks for the pictures. It has been clarified that the steps were never retractable.

The valence cover on the right side is missing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 3276401)
Of course the same car, thanks for the pictures. It has been clarified that the steps were never retractable. The valence cover on the right side is missing.

Is this car being restored in the Middle East ? Now or is lying there ? Interesting body style - Gurney Nutting or Parkward looks like

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasli (Post 3276455)
Is this car being restored in the Middle East ? Now or is lying there ? Interesting body style - Gurney Nutting or Parkward looks like

Cheers

Built by Van den Plas (Belgium), car is still in Pakistan. Attached is a period picture.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-bahawalpur-cadillac-van-den-plas.jpg

Beautiful picture courtesy of India Royal Families on Facebook.

Can someone identify the car ? The round clock on the right hand dash may be a clue.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-gayatri-devi-convertible.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 3276554)
Can someone identify the car? The round clock on the right hand dash may be a clue.

Really, you don't recognize the car? Despite pointing out the clock on the farside of the dash as a clue :). Could you confirm if the rest of the car is a Buick too - a Roadmaster convertible in particular, maybe 1948-49, or thereabouts?

And, maybe the lady is Maharani Gayatri Devi of Jaipur (from Cooch Behar, prior to marriage). I suppose!

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 3276554)
Beautiful picture courtesy of India Royal Families on Facebook. Can someone identify the car ? The round clock on the right hand dash may be a clue.

My guess is a1947 Buick 8 . Could be a Roadmaster knowing the state of Jaipur . Another clue is the little design element of the fenders which ran thru the door and ended on the front of the rear fenders. Swooping lines

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prabal (Post 3276571)
Really, you don't recognize the car? Despite pointing out the clock on the farside of the dash as a clue :). Could you confirm if the rest of the car is a Buick too - a Roadmaster convertible in particular, maybe 1948-49, or thereabouts?

And, maybe the lady is Maharani Gayatri Devi of Jaipur (from Cooch Behar, prior to marriage). I suppose!

The old saying goes "Trust but Verify". Of the gorgeous lady, there couldn't have been any doubt as to identity!

And no, this picture wasn't cropped to keep anyone guessing - this is all of it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 3276649)
The old saying goes "Trust but Verify". Of the gorgeous lady, there couldn't have been any doubt as to identity!

And no, this picture wasn't cropped to keep anyone guessing - this is all of it!

She was particularly fond of this Buick, perhaps now in Bombay with a friend:).

Lovely car, lovely lady. Theyjust don't make them like this anymore:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogji (Post 3277330)
She was particularly fond of this Buick, perhaps now in Bombay with a friend:).

Lovely car. They just don't make them like this anymore:D

agree: With @Bulldogji.

:OT Could anyone tell me, why were so many Buick Eights imported into India, in that time period? i.e 46-48?