Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 7th June 2009, 09:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumpletoad View Post
Julian,

I stumbled across this forum and your post quite by accident. It is only rarely that one finds any reference to sleeve-valve Daimlers and it is even rarer to find a real car! I like your's which appears to be a "Standard Thirty"
Dear Sir.

It is a pleasure to have you on this forum. Thanks for the clarifications on the Austin staff car.

Regarding the sleeve valve Daimlers there actually are a few around in vey good nick in India. You could check on the Cartier Concours thread to see pics of one such car which has connections to the British Royal Family.

Apart from this I think there are a further three such cars in India. Open to correction on this though.

Look forward to you value additions to this forum.

Wasif
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 03:38   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Dear Sir.

It is a pleasure to have you on this forum.

Look forward to you value additions to this forum.

Wasif
Thank you for the "Sir", Wasif - I appreciate the courtesy but plain old "Wumps" will do in the future!

Thank you also for the welcome. I suspect I have forgotten more than I ever knew about pre-War cars but I shall keep an eye on things and shall be happy to contribute if there is a subject to which I feel I am able to make a worthwhile contribution.

At the risk of getting into trouble for failing to add this to the appropriate thread, I have somewhere, a photo I took some 45 years ago of a car upon which I was consulted by Christies and which had just arrived in London from India for auction. This was a 1921 45hp Daimler bought new by Sawai Madho Singh of Jaipur a year before he died. A particularly handsome car - I think the body was by Barker - complete with Purdah jalousies.

Cheers,

Wumps.
wumpletoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 10:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Dear Wumps.

I hope that sounds Ok !!. would it be possible for you to locate this picture you mentioned and upload it here for us to see.

Do you have any more details like who owns it now etc.

Would be nice to know more on this car. The Jaipur royal Family was and still is know for their eccelectic tastes.They still own some great cars.

Wasif
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 14:29   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Dear Wumps.

I hope that sounds Ok !!. would it be possible for you to locate this picture you mentioned and upload it here for us to see.

Do you have any more details like who owns it now etc.

Would be nice to know more on this car. The Jaipur royal Family was and still is know for their eccelectic tastes.They still own some great cars.

Wasif
Two difficulties of some consequence here;

Since the photos were taken, I have lived in five countries and nine houses. You know what that means!

I have absolutely no understanding of "uploading" anything.
However, I'm sure I shall be able to find a ten year old (at that age they know everything) to assist me should I manage to extract the photos from the archives - supposing, of course, that I find the archives . . .

I don't remember, if I ever knew, to whom the car was sold and I have no idea of its present whereabouts. Up to the late 'eighties it never appeared on the English scene and I suspect it may have gone straight to The States; this was at the beginning of old cars becoming "collectible" and subsequently (sadly) over-priced.

I shall keep digging but don't hold your breath . . . .

I hope Julian UK surfaces - I should like to talk to him.

Wumps.
wumpletoad is offline   Reply With Quote