Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 07:36   #1711
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 104
Thanked: 146 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hey, didn't realise that this is the same car. Looks so complete from the front, and when you see both the pictures they almost appear like mirror images, bonnet opened on opposite sides.

Now, which car is this? I have a theory, but not sure. Is this car still in India? Or rather, was this picture taken in India in the first place?

Cheers harit
If this is a Phantom II landaulette originally sent to India, it must be 2GY, a Thrupp & Maberly sent to the Maharaja of Darbhanga. 104SK was also a landaulette (Maharanee of Baroda) but that chassis has been rebodied as a Hooper tourer.
Steve Stuckey is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:03   #1712
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,924
Thanked: 2,576 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
[IMG].............Harit, do you have a rear / side view you could post ?
Unfortunately not This picture is from a magazine.

Here is a picture from an old RR Bulletin. This car is supposed to be a part of a religious celebration, maybe even Dussera, as the contributor is from Mysore. The car reg no is BMW 3285(?, its no legible), and its supposed to be a 25/30. What car is this? Maybe one of Pranlals?

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 

Last edited by harit : 2nd August 2012 at 12:06.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:38   #1713
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,496
Thanked: 7,410 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is a picture from an old RR Bulletin. This car is supposed to be a part of a religious celebration, maybe even Dussera, as the contributor is from Mysore. The car reg no is BMW 3285(?, its no legible), and its supposed to be a 25/30. What car is this? Maybe one of Pranlals?
My notes (that I learnt from the forum) say the car sports Thrupp and Maberly coachwork, originally NC Lakrawalla. Car is now in the north, CH 03 0067.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:01   #1714
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: planet earth
Posts: 783
Thanked: 855 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Karl, I am open to correction, I believe the Lakrawala car you refer to is a 20/25 whereas the chandigarh car was a silver wraith?
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:23   #1715
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,924
Thanked: 2,576 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Karl, I am open to correction, I believe the Lakrawala car you refer to is a 20/25 whereas the chandigarh car was a silver wraith?
Hey Bulldogji,

Chandigarh car is a Wraith, not Silver Wraith one of two in India. Other is with Mallya.

Check: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post2053441 (Classic Rolls Royces in India) Post 1427
where park-ward says:

""CH03 0067 posted by Karlos & Harit is #GGR56, a T&M 25/30HP originally bought by N.C. Lakrawalla of Belasis Road, Byculla (any info on this owner welcome!) It is currently reg'd BMW-3285"".

There is so much info on our forum, we reply on our own knowledge supplemented by inputs from others and finally the search option
Please someone elaborate difference between the models 20/25, 25/30 I am very superficial here.
Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 2nd August 2012 at 16:26.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:59   #1716
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 3,548 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
If this is a Phantom II landaulette originally sent to India, it must be 2GY, a Thrupp & Maberly sent to the Maharaja of Darbhanga.
Could Harit's Landauluette and BRN-6666 (Anukul Ashram) be the same car (PII Chassis 2-GY ?)





The following pictures are of BRN-6666, the PII in the Anukul Ashram. The car is supposedly ex-Darbhanga and gifted to the Ashram by the Maharaja's doctor.

An R-R expert has however identified BRN-6666 as a "Post Chassis 58-SK" PII and therefore unlikely to be Chassis 2-GY.


Name:  Anukul RR PII Frt 3Q.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  Anukul RR PII Frt Headon.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  Anukul RR PII Windshield.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  8.4 KB

Last edited by travancore : 2nd August 2012 at 22:03.
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 11:39   #1717
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,924
Thanked: 2,576 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Could Harit's Landauluette and BRN-6666 (Anukul Ashram) be the same car (PII Chassis 2-GY ?).... The car is supposedly ex-Darbhanga.............
The picture I put up is supposed to be a Baroda car.
The problem is that the article I got these from is full of errors which is why I put them up as a question to confirm identity.

Here is another one, now UK registered, was supposed to be a Maharajas car.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 16:21   #1718
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 3,548 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The picture I put up is supposed to be a Baroda car.
The problem is that the article I got these from is full of errors which is why I put them up as a question to confirm identity.

Here is another one, now UK registered, was supposed to be a Maharajas car.

Cheers harit


Thanks Harit!

This is ex-Alwar PI Chassis 40-HC; H.J.Mulliner Allweather. It appeared in a documentary on the 100th anniversary of the motor car (100 Greatest Cars of the Century ?)
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 17:13   #1719
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,924
Thanked: 2,576 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
....This is ex-Alwar PI Chassis 40-HC; H.J.Mulliner Allweather. It appeared in a documentary on the 100th anniversary of the motor car (100 Greatest Cars of the Century ?)
This picture is from a RR Bulletin. In that they had mentioned that this car was supplied new to Maharaja Sir Jey Singh of Alar, will be a spelling mistake. So this is an Alwar car. Any idea when it left Ondia and who took her out?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 17:17   #1720
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 3,548 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This picture is from a RR Bulletin. In that they had mentioned that this car was supplied new to Maharaja Sir Jey Singh of Alar, will be a spelling mistake. So this is an Alwar car. Any idea when it left Ondia and who took her out?

Cheers harit
Thanks for the confirmation.

It was on sale by Bonhams a few years ago (to be sold from a prominent collection). Let me see if the Auction Brochure has any history.
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 12:38   #1721
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,924
Thanked: 2,576 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Which car is this? Kholapur/Sangli to Rajasthan? I have not seen clear pictures of that car, so not sure.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 13:06   #1722
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,934
Thanked: 340 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Which car is this? Kholapur/Sangli to Rajasthan? I have not seen clear pictures of that car, so not sure.

Cheers harit
Looks like RSY 1
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 18:55   #1723
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,792
Thanked: 1,855 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif

Looks like RSY 1
I think you are right.

Name:  image4092550208.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  31.6 KB
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 14:59   #1724
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,924
Thanked: 2,576 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Looks like RSY 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
I think you are right.
Good work. But was this the Kohlapur/Sangli car in custody with Apte?

Now which car is this? The state had a plate in front, I can only read XX??PUR STATE. The first letters are not legible. This car is abroad, has a British registration number.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 15:32   #1725
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 906 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Now which car is this? The state had a plate in front, I can only read XX??PUR STATE. The first letters are not legible. This car is abroad, has a British registration number
Looks like the Khairpur car?
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics : Rolls Royces & Bentleys in India jesal Super-Cars & Imports in India 195 20th August 2012 13:25
Why do Rolls Royces "lean back"? D33-PAC Technical Stuff 4 15th April 2012 22:55
Pics : Economic Times Rolls Royce Centenary Rally. Includes 2004 Rolls Royce Phantom v12 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 28 15th February 2009 17:15
Classic ICE: Rolls Royce Silver Spur gunbir In-Car Entertainment 48 21st August 2007 10:07
The new S Class, Rolls Royces and more! gemballa Super-Cars & Imports in India 30 25th February 2006 02:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:48.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks