Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 19:41   #1921
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,533
Thanked: 7,562 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

In April 2007 as a run up to the vintage car rally in Bombay, this piece on Rolls Royce owners appeared.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-01.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-02.jpg
karlosdeville is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 23:52   #1922
BHPian
 
sasi405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 259
Thanked: 177 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post

park ward, If I remember correctly, the Nabha car, CH 030067 was a Wraith.
There is an ex-Mysore Wraith that used to be with Mallya that is now with the Khimsar family in Rajasthan. Don't know if its the same car. I was party to the restoration of this car.
sasi405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 14:40   #1923
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 2,618 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
There is an ex-Mysore Wraith that used to be with Mallya that is now with the Khimsar family in Rajasthan. Don't know if its the same car. I was party to the restoration of this car.
I think that there is some mistake here.
There are only two Wraiths in India as far as we know. Mallya (black) and Nobel (golden) Theothers, Raman and Nabha, are 25/30HP.
It would be interesting to see some pics of the Khimsar car. Can you manage that?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 16:54   #1924
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 2,618 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

In the early 1920's, a state in Rajasthan offered these cars for sale. LE could stand for London -Edinborough tourers. Probably these were Silver Ghosts.
And here is proof that a Metallurgique cars came to India, I had heard about one before and perhaps had even mentioned it. Sadly none seem to have survived.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-sale.jpg  


Last edited by harit : 16th November 2013 at 16:55.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 18:45   #1925
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,854
Thanked: 3,743 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
It would be interesting to see some pics of the Khimsar car. Can you manage that?
Cheers harit
courtesy : Previously shown pictures / Facebook - Khimsar Group of Hotels

Name:  Khimsar Fleet.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  Mysore Khimsar RR SW.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  148.9 KB

Chassis WFC57 ?

Last edited by travancore : 16th November 2013 at 19:06.
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 11:59   #1926
BHPian
 
sasi405's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 259
Thanked: 177 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post

courtesy : Previously shown pictures / Facebook - Khimsar Group of Hotels

Chassis WFC57 ?
Yes. That's the Khimsar car. Its a Silver Wraith. When it came for restoration, it was a beige and maroon combo, badly done. The car has little boxes integrated into the seat back trays, since it was ordered as a car to ferry the Maharaja's kids to school.
sasi405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 06:47   #1927
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 92
Thanked: 46 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

A good video on maharaja Rolls Royce.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuj...per_shortfilms

I don't know if this was already posted, moderators please remove if already there.
jagadeesh.b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 18:22   #1928
BHPian
 
Boybentley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Posts: 96
Thanked: 268 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

3BU198 to be auctioned in London next week:
http://www.coys.co.uk/auction.php?it...1&auctionID=38
Boybentley is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 03:28   #1929
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 105
Thanked: 151 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boybentley View Post
3BU198 to be auctioned in London next week:
http://www.coys.co.uk/auction.php?it...1&auctionID=38
Hello. There is no evidence that this Maharaja's car was ever in India. It was kept on the Rajpipla estate in Old Windsor in England. The Maharani took it over when he died in 1951, and RR records show it with English owners between 1956 and 1962. In 1972 it was sold to a Swedish museum, and then in the 2000s was in Germany (note it still wears a German registration). Lovely car though...
Steve Stuckey is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 05:38   #1930
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,854
Thanked: 3,743 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And here is proof that a Metallurgique cars came to India, I had heard about one before and perhaps had even mentioned it. Sadly none seem to have survived.

Cheers harit


Another Metallurgique in India......this time Cooch Behar, 1908


Name:  Cooch Behar Metallurgique Motor Car Jl July 1908.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  93.0 KB
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 20:35   #1931
BHPian
 
jimmywalter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 34
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Rolls Royce Chassis number identification and production figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
I can guarantee you that there were 727 R-R Phantom III chassis produced, including the 10 experimental cars, seven of which were renumbered and sold.
Chassis series were: EX - 10; AZ - 112; AX - 99; BU - 100; BT - 100; CP - 97; CM - 104; DL - 99; DH - 6.
I have looked at ALL the build records. Some chassis were renumbered from one series to the other.
In a previous post you said that my car, 3BU134, was not an Open Tourer. If not, what would you call my car?
jimmywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 03:11   #1932
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 105
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Rolls Royce Chassis number identification and production figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmywalter View Post
In a previous post you said that my car, 3BU134, was not an Open Tourer. If not, what would you call my car?
Hi Jimmy. Us historians of pre-war coachbuilt cars have a real problem in trying to have a consistent description of body styles, so we now rely on the most common terms used during the period (1930s in the time I am interested). A "tourer" is an open car of 4 doors WITHOUT a division or occasional seats. Your car has a division, so I call it a "cabriolet". There were 16 cabriolets on PIII chassis, and 5 tourers. Hope this helps. Of course, these days virtually every car maker who builds an open car calls it a cabriolet; sounds more sexy than 'convertible' I guess. Steve
Steve Stuckey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 15:51   #1933
BHPian
 
jimmywalter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 34
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Rolls Royce Chassis number identification and production figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
Hi Jimmy. Us historians of pre-war coachbuilt cars have a real problem in trying to have a consistent description of body styles, so we now rely on the most common terms used during the period (1930s in the time I am interested). A "tourer" is an open car of 4 doors WITHOUT a division or occasional seats. Your car has a division, so I call it a "cabriolet". There were 16 cabriolets on PIII chassis, and 5 tourers. Hope this helps. Of course, these days virtually every car maker who builds an open car calls it a cabriolet; sounds more sexy than 'convertible' I guess. Steve
Thanks for your reply.

My goal here is to classify my car as unique as possible. How did you arrive at your definitions? Of the 16 "cabriolets", how would you/I differentiate mine from theirs?

Also, according to John Little, there were only two open tourers made, mine and one other. Yet your research shows 5. Could you please expand on that.

Thanks for your help
jimmy
jimmywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 19:54   #1934
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,800
Thanked: 1,874 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmywalter View Post
Thanks for your reply. My goal here is to classify my car as unique as possible. How did you arrive at your definitions? Of the 16 "cabriolets", how would you/I differentiate mine from theirs? Also, according to John Little, there were only two open tourers made, mine and one other. Yet your research shows 5. Could you please expand on that. Thanks for your help jimmy
May we have some pictures of your car

Thank you
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 07:47   #1935
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,954
Thanked: 4,098 Times
Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
May we have some pictures of your car

Thank you
As required by you

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post3058288 (Classic Rolls Royces in India)
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics : Rolls Royces & Bentleys in India jesal Super-Cars & Imports in India 195 20th August 2012 13:25
Why do Rolls Royces "lean back"? D33-PAC Technical Stuff 4 15th April 2012 22:55
Pics : Economic Times Rolls Royce Centenary Rally. Includes 2004 Rolls Royce Phantom v12 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 28 15th February 2009 17:15
Classic ICE: Rolls Royce Silver Spur gunbir In-Car Entertainment 48 21st August 2007 10:07
The new S Class, Rolls Royces and more! gemballa Super-Cars & Imports in India 30 25th February 2006 02:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:33.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks