Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 6th June 2011, 16:54   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Could you give any timeline as to when it was said to have been sold to Hyderabad, it would help place teh car. The two pharm company owners BE and Siris had just started collecting and one of them had got a RR sedan that needed restoration so maybe this is it.

It was said to be a 20/25 or something similar

Rashid Bhai didn't have any RR's in his collection then but not sure if he acquired one later.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 17:07   #1442
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The two pharm company owners BE and Siris had just started collecting and one of them had got a RR sedan that needed restoration so maybe this is it.
It was said to be a 20/25 or something similar
I saw the BE car last year it is a 20 HP tourer as far as I can recollect.

Cheers
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 07:11   #1443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
What a handsome car, pity it was butchered.
From what I can see from the photos posted by Harit, the car was recoverable at that time. But, fairly soon afterwards it had been butchered. I think the man standing in front of the car in the black and white picture is Venerio Molari, an Italian who supposedly purchased the remains in the hope he could transport them out of India. This was not possible, of course.
Steve Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 14:35   #1444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Could you give any timeline as to when it was said to have been sold to Hyderabad, it would help place teh car. The two pharm company owners BE and Siris had just started collecting and one of them had got a RR sedan that needed restoration so maybe this is it. It was said to be a 20/25 or something similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I saw the BE car last year it is a 20 HP tourer as far as I can recollect. Cheers
Wasif, that could be the car, pictures?
KPS, a 20HP tourer went from a technical collecge in Indore, maybe that landed up in Hyderabad too? Please get the number of the 20HP of Mr. Hegde.

Here is an Orissa registered Rolls, does anyone remember? Where is she now? Any current picture available? This picture was probably taken in Calcutta during an event.

Cheers harit
Attached Images

harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 00:00   #1445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
KPS, a 20HP tourer went from a technical collecge in Indore, maybe that landed up in Hyderabad too? Please get the number of the 20HP of Mr. Hegde.

Here is an Orissa registered Rolls, does anyone remember? Where is she now? Any current picture available? This picture was probably taken in Calcutta during an event.

Cheers harit
Harit I believe this is the car in the Ramchander Nath collection - registration DNC 9180. I believe it is a 20/25 or 25/30 with a later (American ?) body. Cheers
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 12:09   #1446
Distinguished - BHPian

This Rolls has Maharana Bhupal Singh and attendants in his Rolls 1930/31. Supposed to be from the Udaipur Royals. Note the seating arrangement. This picture is from an article in the Robb Report June 2011.
This picture could have gone in the Rolls thread, Maharaja thread or Nostalgic picture thread.
Any comments?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-17.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 9th June 2011 at 12:10.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:58   #1447
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This Rolls has Maharana Bhupal Singh and attendants in his Rolls 1930/31. Supposed to be from the Udaipur Royals. Note the seating arrangement. This picture is from an article in the Robb Report June 2011.
This picture could have gone in the Rolls thread, Maharaja thread or Nostalgic picture thread.
Any comments?

Cheers harit
Definitely a doctored image - and a badly done one at that!
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 18:18   #1448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers harit
Dear Harit,

The Dharmasthala car come from Indore. There used to be middleman who used to handle all the car purchases for the Trust at that time. It is rumoured that the chassis plate has been removed by this person as it stated that he used to boast about it. I have personally searched for the chassis plate in the car and it is unfortunately missing. You could check with Mr. Manvender Singh as this car came from him.

Cheers KPS

The Orissa car survives and well cared for.

Cheers

Quote:

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-dscn8930.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 9th June 2011 at 18:41. Reason: Consecutive posts
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 12:21   #1449
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A 6 Ox Power Silver Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is a 6 O.P. Silver Ghost. Did not realize that R-R cars in India depended on ox power and not horse power!
Source: The Autocar / The R-R Owner, 1963
Chassis 94-AE incidentally was a Hooper Landaulette / Limousine, first owner Mohammed Bhay Rowjec (anyone got a picture ???)
Looking for something on the RR thread I came across this post. Does anyone know where this is? Many, many Mumbaikars pass this place almost every day, myself twice a day. Today this building houses Chinese Room, it is at Kemps Corner. Print out the picture and compare, or someone may "click a snap" and post. This is one of three locations in Mumbai which housed Rolls-Royce. I know the others too.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-kemps.jpg  

Old 10th June 2011, 13:38   #1450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Dear Harit, The Dharmasthala car come from Indore. There used to be middleman who used to handle all the car purchases for the Trust at that time. It is rumoured that the chassis plate has been removed by this person as it stated that he used to boast about it. I have personally searched for the chassis plate in the car and it is unfortunately missing. You could check with Mr. Manvender Singh as this car came from him. Cheers KPS The Orissa car survives and well cared for. Cheers
There is a definitive mix-up over here.
There was a 20 HP in Indore in a technical institute which was sold. I suspect that car is the one with the gentlemen standing near it. The car from Dharmasthala is not the ex-Indore car, it is a Mysore car and bears a registration from there. That cars identity is missing, maybe an engine or chassis number will help.
The Indore car is supposed to be ex-Sir Hukumchand.
Pictures taken from previous pages of this thread for easy comparison.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-03a.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-02a.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 10th June 2011, 15:48   #1451
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The car from Dharmasthala is not the ex-Indore car, it is a Mysore car and bears a registration from there.
MBN is probably a Madhya Pradesh resgistration rather than a Mysore one.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 06:35   #1452
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
MBN is probably a Madhya Pradesh resgistration rather than a Mysore one.
I am very sure the Dharmathala car was bought from Mr. Manvinder Singh. It is believed that the body was redone/restored. It came with Jeep meters which were replaced subsequently by another set of meters which are more passable. The Chassis plate is missing.

Guess only Mr. Manvinder Singh will have the history of this car.
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 17:07   #1453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Dear Harit,

The Orissa car survives and well cared for.

Cheers
What is the history of the "Orissa" car ? If I remember right, it has a "Corinthian" body. Looks very American to me though. Believe there was a picture of the coachbuilders plate somewhere on this forum. Cheers
Old 19th June 2011, 09:27   #1454
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This Rolls has Maharana Bhupal Singh and attendants in his Rolls 1930/31. Supposed to be from the Udaipur Royals. Note the seating arrangement.
Yes he was the Maharajah of Udaipur and handicapped. You remember that Rolls at Cartier with the hand controls? that was made for him. Could this be the same car?
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 04:46   #1455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Yes he was the Maharajah of Udaipur and handicapped. You remember that Rolls at Cartier with the hand controls? that was made for him. Could this be the same car?
DKG:
I am tempted to say the car posted by Harit is the original body on Udaipur 20/25, Chassis GNS-11. Currently it wears a Jeep/Truck body and registered RJY-3.

The door lines and front wings are too different to be the "hand controls" car. Maybe one of the R-R experts will chime in. Cheers

Classic Rolls Royces in India-udaipur-rr-2025-gns11-original-body.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 20th June 2011 at 04:49.