Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 30th July 2009, 17:34   #91
BHPian

Some more interesting snippets of information from Shirazi regarding his car. The car's wickerwork body was removed and a metal body was fashioned by a tinker in Daniel's garage, just opposite All Saints Church at Richmond Circle, Bangalore, in 1973. The garage still exists, the tinker is no more.

The car was taken back to Bombay, where the engine work was done in Eastern Motors, by a gentleman named Anklesaria.

In 1973 or thereabouts, Shirazi joined 'Sistas', an advertising firm, which then became (or was renamed?) 'Creative Unit'. This was located in the same building as the Khyber Restaurant. So in all possibility, Harit was attempting to contact Shirazi, way back in 1979!
tonrag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 23:19   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Some more interesting snippets of information from Shirazi regarding his car. The car's wickerwork body was removed and a metal body was fashioned by a tinker in Daniel's garage, just opposite All Saints Church at Richmond Circle, Bangalore, in 1973. The garage still exists, the tinker is no more.

The car was taken back to Bombay, where the engine work was done in Eastern Motors, by a gentleman named Anklesaria.

In 1973 or thereabouts, Shirazi joined 'Sistas', an advertising firm, which then became (or was renamed?) 'Creative Unit'. This was located in the same building as the Khyber Restaurant. So in all possibility, Harit was attempting to contact Shirazi, way back in 1979!
Well, wow!!! In this case a lot has been clarified, starting by me linking Mallyas car to having been Shirazi's car. I wonder if Mr. Mallya would care, but a long history has been traced.

I spoke to a previous owner today, there were many and he told me that this car had a water pump. Now I just have to check the Indore car.
About the body, well maybe after she lost the original body she got a wickerwork body. Just ask Mr. Shirazi the price they were asking, it was 30K. And probably did not get sold as he took it to Bangalore. If certain members of this forum were around at that time, they would have been aghast and banished him. 30K was a lot lot of money.

Incidently the Indo French gentleman now lives in Mumbai and I know him too. But today I spoke to the guy he had sold it to.

Now I dare to presume that this car having an Assam origin may have lost its body when it was being raced. Many of us are aware that Lagonda's were raced in Calcutta region, perhaps this was one of them.

Nice post, Mr. Tonrag. And it shows that my memory is not bad.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 16:24   #93
BHPian

You're right, Harit. The car was not sold in Bombay, but was, just after the Hyderabad Rally, for Rs. 37,000/-. He did get his price, after all! But just ask the person who sold it to Mallya, for how much it changed hands!
tonrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 17:24   #94
Senior - BHPian

Well this is rather interesting. Does anyone have pictures of the "other" Mallya Lagonda by any chance ??
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 18:58   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
You're right, Harit. The car was not sold in Bombay, but was, just after the Hyderabad Rally, for Rs. 37,000/-. He did get his price, after all! But just ask the person who sold it to Mallya, for how much it changed hands!
Well, the car went from Mr. Shirazi to the Indo-French gentleman, who unfortunately had to sell due to some personal issues. It was bought by a collector who immediately passed it on. There are two steps between Mr. Shirazi to Mr. Mallya, who made the money is of no concern to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Well this is rather interesting. Does anyone have pictures of the "other" Mallya Lagonda by any chance ??
Frankly I was not aware that Mr. Mallya had a second Lagonda. Any details, how do you know about the second one?

Cheers harit
Old 31st July 2009, 19:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Well, the car went from Mr. Shirazi to the Indo-French gentleman, who unfortunately had to sell due to some personal issues. It was bought by a collector who immediately passed it on. There are two steps between Mr. Shirazi to Mr. Mallya, who made the money is of no concern to us.

Frankly I was not aware that Mr. Mallya had a second Lagonda. Any details, how do you know about the second one?

Cheers harit
This is as per Tonrag's post below, the second Mallya Lagonda I mean.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2009, 12:47   #97
BHPian

Regarding the so called second Lagonda, many years back I recall a report in 'Auto India, in which a running Lagonda of Mallya's was discussed. Since Shirazi's car presumably hasn't run since he sold it, I venture to suggest that Mallya probably has another car. I could be entirely wrong, though.

Regarding the price of cars bought and sold, I know its of no concern to us. I could'nt care less, either. But since Harit brought up the issue of how much Shirazi wanted in the first place, I thought I'd put out what Shirazi received. I also have an idea of the price paid by Mallya, but didn't mention it, because it is no concern of mine.
tonrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 16:29   #98
Team-BHP Support

Continuing from here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1700461-post18.html

A race prepared Lagonda of one Tutu Imam in action at the Alipore Circuit in the mid 50s, taking the Calcutta Grand Prix.

Lagonda cars in India-04.jpg

The regn number is 2112 - maybe BRX, cant read too clearly. Any seniors know more about this car?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 21:33   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Did he not already own half share of the famous green Delhi Lagonda? Maybe he took it over completely?
Just speculating, but a possibility!
Display board of the Lagonda at the Auto Expo - 2010
Attached Images

S.B.Jatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 23:56   #100
BHPian

Tonrag's revelations are indeed illuminating and intriguing at the same time.

I can see the germ of a movie idea here : a detective with a vintage Lagonda, trying to unravel an unsolved burglary of priceless paintings and objects d'art involving his car, when it was with one of the many previous owners! The previous owner from whom he had bought the car is missing!
Terrific!
I will require inputs/vetting from all of you to ensure that the script stands up.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 14:29   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
...... One cant fail but notice that this little gem was attempting a U turn when the signal was RED....
On a Sunday morning signals are often not respected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
Very nice Austin, except for the brightwork finished in brass. Unless its the photo quality because the Rover's radiator has a goldenish hue too, unless that is also finished in brass, which would be a pity. Nice Rover too by the way. Is it a 4 or 6cyl?
I feel that the yellow glare is not brass buffing, but due to yellowish light reflecting on chrome.

Here is a car said to be a Lagonda V 12 engined, any idea which car?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Lagonda cars in India-lag.jpg  

Old 27th July 2012, 15:10   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice Pic. This is the car of Mr Bhogilal. The snap is taken within the garage at Walkeshwar which open onto the road. This car is Orange and black. Ex Baroda

Cheers

Quote:
On a Sunday morning signals are often not respected.

I feel that the yellow glare is not brass buffing, but due to yellowish light reflecting on chrome.

Here is a car said to be a Lagonda V 12 engined, any idea which car?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Lagonda cars in India-lagonda-v12-bhogilal.jpg  

Attached Images

kasli is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 15:18   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Nice Pic. This is the car of Mr Bhogilal. The snap is taken within the garage at Walkeshwar which open onto the road. This car is Orange and black. Ex Baroda Cheers
You are right. The photo I posted was taken before 1985 by a foreigner.
I was not sure if this was Awini's. Did you look properly at the photos which you have posted? That was taken at an event which was held at the turf club parking, lovely open venue. I had taken my Fiat. Did you notice your Silver Shadow in the background? That time it belonged to Shroff. And the rally was by IARC.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 27th July 2012 at 15:25.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 20:45   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis
Tonrag's revelations are indeed illuminating and intriguing at the same time.

I can see the germ of a movie idea here : a detective with a vintage Lagonda, trying to unravel an unsolved burglary of priceless paintings and objects d'art involving his car, when it was with one of the many previous owners! The previous owner from whom he had bought the car is missing!
Terrific!
I will require inputs/vetting from all of you to ensure that the script stands up.

Regards
Shades of Captain Hastings? From Hercule Poirot?

Lagonda - truly one of my favourite marques in all the world. Sad thing is that I cannot even get a Scale Model though I have looked in all sorts of places around the world.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 22:53   #105
BHPian

Quote:
You are right. The photo I posted was taken before 1985 by a foreigner.
I was not sure if this was Awini's. Did you look properly at the photos which you have posted? That was taken at an event which was held at the turf club parking, lovely open venue. I had taken my Fiat. Did you notice your Silver Shadow in the background? That time it belonged to Shroff. And the rally was by IARC.

Cheers harit
annirudh is right, my car has a fold flat windscreen, no quarter glasses on doors and teardrop mudguards without running boards, and just a single side facing removable rear seat
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled12.bmp (801.7 KB, 290 views)
awini is offline   Reply With Quote