Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 28th August 2008, 22:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Incidentally I recall this same bike was featured (maybe from this very rally?) in an Indian auto mag. years ago!
Yes Stanher, it appears in rallies here and so the write-up with photos must have featured it.
Friends, its a 1922 model and not 1917 one as mentioned by me earlier!
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 23:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
its a 1922 model and not 1917 one as mentioned by me earlier!
Could be, they made them up to 1929, I am not a Harley fan (I prefer Indians) but you don't need to be to see that its fuel feed pipe should be copper, the oil feed pipe probably to the front cylinder is missing!!!! and the rear stand looks like one from a 741B Indian and the shower hose the HT leads are routed through is a bit off too. Its an F head inlet valve overhead and side exhaust valve. Does it run?
Julian UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 23:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the typo, if you all have had your fun then ill carry on.

This is the 1942 Harley Davidson M-O-T-O-R-C-Y-C-L-E
Harley Davidson's in India-dsc01174.jpg

Well its the only pic ive got but theres a video. See him on it.

YouTube Video Box | Facebook

He also own other classic bikes like a 1942 Triumph and 1969 Enfield Bullet,
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 10:07   #19
Team-BHP Support

Here are pictures of the bike I took at the same rally.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley Davidson's in India-harley01.jpg  

Harley Davidson's in India-harley02.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2008, 14:54   #20
BHPian

There'a another photo of a WLA Harley by Moral Fibre in post #33 of this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rcycles-3.html
Old 30th August 2008, 12:40   #21
Team-BHP Support

A very early Harley with Harit.

Quote:
Attached please find pics of a Harley, we were told 1907/1908. It has been restored!
This old bike had a side car and was belonging to a prominent industrial family in rural Maharashtra. They had a bike probably because the roads were not good. We bought the bike maybe 15 years ago and it belongs to me. The engine was given to a mechanic for repairs. We traced him but we suspect that he sold it on to a prominent bike dealer in India. That guy has been wanting our bike, we are not selling. So presently there is no engine. See the similar handlebars.
I would really appreciate if someone can positively identify the model. Then we can search for an engine and restore as far as possible. By the way, the Mallya collection in USA has a similar Harley with sidecar in pristine condition.
Attached Images

Old 30th August 2008, 23:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A very early Harley with Harit.
Harit, Karl.
This is not a Harley Davidson. This style of girder forks was used by many European manufacturers (including Triumph, Premier, Husqvarna etc) but Harley front forks have always been very different. (A quick Google will prove ths). The petrol tank is also nothing like anything Harley and in fact I think this bike is from the teens and is not 1907-8 whatever. It might be something more rare and interesting but it is not a Harley Davidson and this style of tank was European and from at least 9-10 years later. I will try and id it as it is the least we can do to help Harit who has shared so many wonderful photos here.

Unless I am mistaken Harley Davidson was a motorcycle. Shouldn't this thread be in the motorcycle section? My Indian motorcycle thread died over there, why should this one get a place with the cars? After all Harleys were/are boring and ugly compared to Indians.
Harleys are for balding middle age men reliving their youth or for Hell's Angels.

Last edited by Julian UK : 30th August 2008 at 23:58.
Old 31st August 2008, 10:25   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Harit, Karl.
This is not a Harley Davidson. This style of girder forks was used by many European manufacturers (including Triumph, Premier, Husqvarna etc) but Harley front forks have always been very different. (A quick Google will prove ths). The petrol tank is also nothing like anything Harley and in fact I think this bike is from the teens and is not 1907-8 whatever. It might be something more rare and interesting but it is not a Harley Davidson and this style of tank was European and from at least 9-10 years later. I will try and id it as it is the least we can do to help Harit who has shared so many wonderful photos here.

Angels.
Yes this is the Triumph of the 1907-1910 era. I have seen the one (green and cream) that belongs to Mr Nitin Dossa of VCCCI. I'll post its picture soon. The petrol tank and chassis configurations match.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 11:26   #24
BHPian

One of the last pictures I have of my dad,with this Harley he restored for his friend.The bike is still in Bangalore.

The same bike when it came to my dad for restoration.

Saw this in 1995, with the older of the Famous Brothers from Paharganj in Delhi.It was a total massacre.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley Davidson's in India-scan0002.jpg  

Harley Davidson's in India-scan0001.jpg  

Harley Davidson's in India-scan0022.jpg  

Harley Davidson's in India-trike.jpg  

Last edited by aah78 : 31st August 2008 at 20:41. Reason: Posts Merged.
dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 11:41   #25
Team-BHP Support

Wow, fantastic job! Do tell us more about this particular machine you guys restored.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 31st August 2008 at 11:49.
Old 31st August 2008, 12:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Lovely picture and a great job done by your Father. would love to know more about it Dominator. were the parts fabricated here or imported?

the other picture of Paharganj is when the Harleys and Indians were choped to convert in rickshaws. it was a sad reality. you still do find cut chassis and engines, but no whole bike. the bike in the picture is an Indian chief.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 14:05   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

the other picture of Paharganj is when the Harleys and Indians were choped to convert in rickshaws. it was a sad reality. you still do find cut chassis and engines, but no whole bike. the bike in the picture is an Indian chief.
Speedy,the trike in the Pahar Ganj photograph is a Harley Davidson WLA 45 cu in not a Chief! And standing behind it is Jai Shanker or Bongu as he was known (one of the brothers) he used to be a Harley taxi driver before his dealing activities. He was a great source of new old stock Indian spares.

Below is the last Delhi Harley taxi retaining its Harley engine. also posted elsewhere.
Harley Davidson's in India-last-harley-davidson-taxi.jpg

Here is one being butchered to fit a Greaves Lombardini diesel engine which cost half as much to run.
Harley Davidson's in India-diesel-conversion.jpg

This is an 1946 Indian Chief 74 cu in.
Harley Davidson's in India-chief-4.jpg

photos by me

Nice Harley Dominator tell us more, it looks like another Model J 61 cu in ex-military?

Last edited by Julian UK : 31st August 2008 at 14:22.
Old 31st August 2008, 14:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Wow, fantastic job! Do tell us more about this particular machine you guys restored.
My dad passed away in 2002. People who have known him in the Vintage circles will vouch for his knowledge and workmanship.He was not a professional restorer,nor was it a business. Infact,all the machines he worked on was done purely for passion,without taking any money. Only for the Minerva,he was paid a monthly compensation,as he had to live in Delhi.Like I mentioned earlier,he had to leave Delhi without completing the car because of a tragedy in the family. My dad worked for Telco - Jamshedpur & Bangalore for 33 years till he retired in 1989. As we used to stay on a farm,place was never a constraint and to keep his passion alive,he used to take restoration jobs, as and when time would permit.I would assist him in my free time and hence developed the same passion.You know the BAWA thing, how the passion continues in the family.

The above mentioned Harley belongs to an Old Family in Bangalore.The owner of the bike had died young in the 80's and his wife just parked the bike. Around 94/95,the son wanted to restore the bike,but was too scared to take it to a mechanic,for obvious reasons. Some common friend referred my dad and he restored it over a period of 9 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Lovely picture and a great job done by your Father. would love to know more about it Dominator. were the parts fabricated here or imported?

Most of the cosmetic parts and some mechanical parts were imported by the owners.

The Sharma brothers never chopped Indians,it still remains their bread & butter. The picture is of an Harley.

Nice Harley Dominator tell us more, it looks like another Model J 61 cu in ex-military?[/quote]

Thanks Julian. I have got loads of Indian pictures which I will be posting in the Indian Motorcycles forum.By the way, did you see pictures of the Chief in the " Nostalgic Pictures of our Family's cars " section ?

Last edited by dominator : 31st August 2008 at 15:00.
dominator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 16:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post

Thanks Julian. I have got loads of Indian pictures which I will be posting in the Indian Motorcycles forum.By the way, did you see pictures of the Chief in the " Nostalgic Pictures of our Family's cars " section ?
I've just seen it now nice looking machine. Sorry to hear about your father, I do remember him in Delhi now. you certainly have some nice photographs and I look forward to seeing the Indian photos.

There ought to be a Pre and Post 1950 motorcycle section as the same problem happens in the motorcycle section, any early model posts just get totally lost amongst the modern bike posts. Just to find the Indian thread can take 10-15 minutes of searching. This doesn't encourage new contributions. We must request the mods to split the bike section into pre and post 1950 as I am sure they also want to encourage more pre 1950 posts now more people are scanning and wanting to post. Then this thread can be shifted to the motorcycle section. If a quick link to pre and post war bikes was placed on the title page of Vintage Cars & Classics in India (altered to say bikes as well) then it will be accessible which will encourage more interest and posts.

Do any other old bike enthusiasts agree?
Old 31st August 2008, 18:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Incidentally I recall this same bike was featured (maybe from this very rally?) in an Indian auto mag. years ago!
Yes indeed, I used to cover the Nagpur Vintage Car Rally for Auto India and later on for Autocar India, and this Harley was a regular entrant. In fact it was the very first Harley I ever saw and can vouch that the V-Twin still packs a punch! I have quite a few photos of this bike lying somewhere. It is owned by a local transport company owner, and as far as I remember the bike has been in his family since new.
newcoolgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote