Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 4th July 2009, 12:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at this picture. It is of a 1932 two door Austin 10/4 tourer and compare it with your car.

What you have is actually a 10/4 not a 7. The 7 was much smaller and didn't come as a four door tourer in 32. Moreover the wheels/ hubcaps are different on a 7, much maller hubcap and thinner tyres.

Also the placement of the engine ancilliaries is different on a 7 as are the front bumpers.
Attached Images

Last edited by wasif : 4th July 2009 at 12:19.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 17:58   #17
BHPian

Sid,
I own a 1933 Austin 7, the last year in which the chrome radiator cars were built, before they moved to the Ruby shape. Your car doesn't seem to be an Austin 7 for the following reasons:
(a) It has 4 doors, which no Austin seven tourer had.
(b) The dashboard layout is not of the 1932 Austin seven, but seems correct for the Austin 10 of the period,
(c) The carburettor seems to be a downdraught one, (zenith?). The contemporary Austin seven had a side draught one.
The best way to find out if your car is a 7 or a 10 is to measure the wheelbase and compare it with that of the seven, which is easily available on the net.

Being a battle scarred veteran of several restorations, I've listed some simple dos and donts.

(a) Trust no one, except yourself.
(b) Do your research before you touch the car. Find out everything about it, what it should have been, what's original, what's not. There is a lot of half baked information floating around.
(c) Do not dismantle the car in a hurry. Do so under your personal supervision. Photograph everything before you dismantle anything. Take at least 500 photos!
(d)Photograph every step of dismantling. Put everything that is dismantled, particularly small and cosmetic parts into plastic covers and label them. Keep them in a box under your bed. A lot of restorations have been botched up because people have dismantled in a jiffy and thrown all parts into one big packing case. You'll be surprised how fast your memory fades, when you try to put it all back together again!
(e) Take extensive notes and keep a checklist of whats with whom (chroming, lathe wallah, electrician etc.) Make a file and keep a daily record of work done, expenses, bills etc., or the expenses will run away from you and you'll be cheated.
(f) Why don' you try to do the work yourself? Its not difficult, with the Austin - its a grown up's meccano set. You'll save yourself a lot of tension, time and money. And with the money that you save, you can buy tools and equipment, which will be a permanent asset for you. You don't have to be scared that you're not an engineer. Restoration, if approached logically, with the right instructions and tools, is not difficult to master.
Best of luck! Most of all, enjoy the restoration! It is terrible when it becomes a burden and that can happen, if you do not have organised approach.
Motivate yourself with a photo of a finished car on your desktop! It works!
tonrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 15:16   #18
BHPian

as pointed out by wasif and tonrag this isnt a 7, other than the wheel base, the no. of doors , you can make out from the track width also , this car is definitely bigger than a 7.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 18:32   #19
BHPian

It is Austin 10, my brother has also one similar Austin-10 1933, which is waiting for full restoration.
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009, 19:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
It is Austin 10, my brother has also one similar Austin-10 1933, which is waiting for full restoration.
Is your brother a antique dealer by any chance Asim ?? Ther was a similar car in need of TLC on road No 6 with a gent who dealt in old furniture etc.
Old 1st August 2009, 03:22   #21
BHPian

No my younger brother lives with me here. I know Mr. Asim on Road#6 he also have one Austin-10, but he was not serious about selling his car and also demanded unreasonable prices. His car also need restoration, I know him.
Old 1st August 2009, 10:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_04 View Post
Hi you guys,
I have been lucky enough to acquire a 1932 Austin 7.Since i am completely new at restoring cars i was wondering if i could get any help through this forum.

A little bit about the car:
1)It was being used until a year back though very sparingly.
2)As it's been parked in a sea facing building for the past 12 years it has a few rust spots.But it's nothing that cannot be repaired.
3)The seats have been removed and are kept safely.

Things i need help with:
1)Which is the ideal workshop to go to in order to restore the car.
2)Which part of the car do i begin work on.
3)Does anyone have any useful information on this car.
4)Is this a viable project.

Awaiting your replies.
Thanks

Sid

Hi
Congrats on your new buy.
1).Well restoruing this car wouldn't take much as most of the mechanisms are quite simple to handle nothing that difficult.

2).The best way i think you should do it is getting some mechnics,getting a workshop manual for the car and a restoration guide.This will make you more knowladgeable about your own car.I personally feel you should try and do it your self.

3).Start by-

a)Opening the hood and hood frame
b)The meters and the dash board
c)Front wind screen
d)All electrical components such as lights,horn etc but do not open up all the wiring before marking it and make a connect with the ignition coilthe battery and the self starter if that seems difficult just do not open all the wiring dismantel the parts.
e)Now it depend how your engine is running and if you want to do it or not if yes then you take down the engine and do a complete over haul and since you are at it change your clutch you won;'t have to touch the engine or the gear box then in a long time.
f)It depend on what you budget is if it is comfortable then get the paint scrapped off and put priemer and the bosy body removed do all necisary jobs on the chassis and body, paint the chassis and then fit the body back.Pait entire car after bosy fitted back.
g)start refitting parts slowly and try and find out original parts if any which are not.
h)Get upholstry re done according to the colour you have painted the car and wheels(if not chromed).
i)service entire differential after dismantelling from vehicle.
j)Do necessary steering & suspension jobs and change required bushes,tie rod ends,ball joints etc.
k)Redo all electrical wireing and service all meters.
l)road test to find faults,detect them and do necisarray jobs.
m)service breaking line,master cylinder,wheel cylinder and check break linings and change as per required.

4).In this car the drive shaft fits both ways to the differential and the gear box.Mark it carefully before remioving it or else once you fit it back and think of driving the car you put it into 1st gear and it goes back and reverse and it moves forward

Last but not the least these were some steps for getting a good job done with spending well on the project and that is if you wish to keep the car if you don't then just do it any how and retrieve your money spent on restoration and purchase of the car.

Hope it was useful to you.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 02:44   #23
BHPian

Austin-10 of gentlemen at Road#6. B.Hills, however the photo quality is not good.
Attached Thumbnails
My '32 Austin 7-010820091035.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2009, 19:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi sid its been a long time pls give us an update on the happenings.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 14:58   #25
BHPian

hey guys this is my austin seven ,i think Sid yours is austin 10,
Attached Images

inderpalgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 09:52   #26
BHPian

Default Re: My '32 Austin 7

Hello Sir,

Lovely car you have there. I especially like the 2 tone paint, looks fabulous. Congratulations again!

Regards
Prithvi Tagore
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 11:40   #27
BHPian

@Inderpalgill: thats a great looking Austin. Looks simply amazing.
diesel_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 22:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

@Inder Paji: Some more INTIMATE pics please.
The paint job is so awesome that we can see the reflection of the plastric chair in it. Simply wow.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 12:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Austin-10 of gentlemen at Road#6. B.Hills, however the photo quality is not good.
I think this is the car you are talking about with your brother on Road # 6 Banjara Hills
Attached Thumbnails
My '32 Austin 7-dsc02518.jpg  

My '32 Austin 7-dsc02526.jpg  

My '32 Austin 7-dsc02524.jpg  

My '32 Austin 7-dsc02522.jpg  

My '32 Austin 7-dsc02530.jpg  

Old 12th December 2010, 15:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I think this is the car you are talking about with your brother on Road # 6 Banjara Hills
Hi Wasif,
What gives? This are the same photos of the car posted by this thread starter on the first page. He's supposed to have bought it, ut no reply even after so many responses to his first post. And he's logged in last time this year July.
Nice car but I wonder who the actual owner is. The antique dealer?
Cheers

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 12th December 2010 at 15:29.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote