Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2009, 22:02   #16
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Someone had manufactured these for a 170 in Bombay, let me ask him to contact you if more can be made.
Thanks Karl, I will really appreciate it.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 11:18   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,717
Thanked: 88,950 Times
Default

What a beautiful Mercedes! Great choice of colour. Congratulations.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 16:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

I like the way this Merc is done, with heart and love. The colour is good, and only one shade, very correct. I had the opportunity to use a car like this in the late 1970's, and I put up pics of the car junking.
This is a very useable car, keep on using it otherwise the brakes tend to get soft. That was the only weak spot we had encountered.
Keep looking for a steering wheel. Perhaps you can get one more made of wood by a pattern maker so that he can make the waves, this wheel appears to be round.
Keep looking and try to get Bosch headlight glasses. The remove that yellow sticker in the centre.
That big light in the centre should also not be there, one should see the chrome cover over the hole for the cranking handle. That light is in a very vurnerable position, you should keep it at home for something better.
Those are nice badges you have put, about the horns I have already comented in the past.
never mind about the hubcaps, they do suit. If you get the original shape, well and good but do not go mad looking for them.
I dare say that these are the kind of cars really worth restoring, useable, not too expensive to buy ( but lots goes in to restore), very sweet to look at, to be noticed and not too common. In fact all your cars fit in this category. Now for some bigger American car!
All the best, good job, and enjoy
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 20:36   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 843 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
And the ashtray is from a Fiat I see. Neat!
I dont know Karl. These 170-vs came with Fiat-esque ashtrays. But knowing your keen eye about Fiats, i dare say you are wrong.

If this is indeed a Fiat ashtray (it certainly looks similar) then its at least a good match like the hub caps.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 21:26   #20
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I like the way this Merc is done, with heart and love. The colour is good, and only one shade, very correct. I had the opportunity to use a car like this in the late 1970's, and I put up pics of the car junking.
This is a very useable car, keep on using it otherwise the brakes tend to get soft. That was the only weak spot we had encountered.
Keep looking for a steering wheel. Perhaps you can get one more made of wood by a pattern maker so that he can make the waves, this wheel appears to be round.
Keep looking and try to get Bosch headlight glasses. The remove that yellow sticker in the centre.
That big light in the centre should also not be there, one should see the chrome cover over the hole for the cranking handle. That light is in a very vurnerable position, you should keep it at home for something better.
Those are nice badges you have put, about the horns I have already comented in the past.
never mind about the hubcaps, they do suit. If you get the original shape, well and good but do not go mad looking for them.
I dare say that these are the kind of cars really worth restoring, useable, not too expensive to buy ( but lots goes in to restore), very sweet to look at, to be noticed and not too common. In fact all your cars fit in this category. Now for some bigger American car!
All the best, good job, and enjoy
Thanks Harit for your valuable comments. The yellow sticker is for the cops as in chennai they expect a dot in the centre. The spot lights are generally allowed. Even if you see any vintage car show abroad they always have a spot light or two. Otherwise the badge bar looks rather bare, In my opinion no point in having a whole lot of badges, also for the layman who comes for the vintage shows these things make a lot of difference. The car did its debut in an Auto Expo between 16th and 19th of Jan here at Chennai, and it did attract a lot of attention.People broke in through the barracade and wanted to take a photo with her. It was a difficult task to keep them out.
The light is a period light not a new replica. IAm on the lookout for Bosch lenses, hope I am lucky. Yes. I would certainly like an American Classic. I have one in the pipeline, hope it comes my way.
I still have a 1946 Ford Thames (Fordson) Van under restoration (Please see, e83w.co.uk and look for Indian minibus/Van in the menu) and a couple of bikes and a scooter (a 1958 Lambretta Series 1). Maybe after that I can take up another car for restoration.
Thanks once again for your valuable comments and encouragement. My day is made when I get accolades for my restoration.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 10:39   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Hi.

On the bulkhead inside the engine compartment there is a small grease reservoir which is connected to a hand pump which the drivers are supposed to pump over regular intervals. This is to lubricate the suspension parts.

Is it connected and useable in your car cause in the picture it doesn't look like it is.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 11:46   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Thanks Harit for your valuable comments. The yellow sticker is for the cops as in chennai they expect a dot in the centre. The spot lights are generally allowed. Even if you see any vintage car show abroad they always have a spot light or two. Otherwise the badge bar looks rather bare, In my opinion no point in having a whole lot of badges, also for the layman who comes for the vintage shows these things make a lot of difference. The car did its debut in an Auto Expo between 16th and 19th of Jan here at Chennai, and it did attract a lot of attention.People broke in through the barracade and wanted to take a photo with her. It was a difficult task to keep them out.
The light is a period light not a new replica. IAm on the lookout for Bosch lenses, hope I am lucky. Yes. I would certainly like an American Classic. I have one in the pipeline, hope it comes my way.
I still have a 1946 Ford Thames (Fordson) Van under restoration (Please see, e83w.co.uk and look for Indian minibus/Van in the menu) and a couple of bikes and a scooter (a 1958 Lambretta Series 1). Maybe after that I can take up another car for restoration.
Thanks once again for your valuable comments and encouragement. My day is made when I get accolades for my restoration.
And I thought that I had the only Fordson left in India. Mine is sort of restored, you would probably have seen it yellow and white in one of the posts on an earlier Mumbai Rally. Shall post a pic tomorrow, then you post your Fordson pic.

About the spot light, I understand your position but it is simply too big. And in a dangerous place. There used to be smaller spotlights also by Bosch, available with both plain clear and yellow lenses. I really feel that this light should not be there, at least not this big.

Wasif really knows his stuff, he is right about the reservoir meant to lubricate the suspension. This is present is almost all prewar Mercs, now I do not remember if it was also on the first postwar Mercs.

By the way, I did have a 1952 170VD which had the same colour but was a Diesel and sold on to Chennai. There they redid her in black and she is back in Mumbai!

I also think that for legal requirements you have to put a white number plate, which almost all of us have done anyway for our classics.
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 18:39   #23
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi.

On the bulkhead inside the engine compartment there is a small grease reservoir which is connected to a hand pump which the drivers are supposed to pump over regular intervals. This is to lubricate the suspension parts.

Is it connected and useable in your car cause in the picture it doesn't look like it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And I thought that I had the only Fordson left in India. Mine is sort of restored, you would probably have seen it yellow and white in one of the posts on an earlier Mumbai Rally. Shall post a pic tomorrow, then you post your Fordson pic.

About the spot light, I understand your position but it is simply too big. And in a dangerous place. There used to be smaller spotlights also by Bosch, available with both plain clear and yellow lenses. I really feel that this light should not be there, at least not this big.

Wasif really knows his stuff, he is right about the reservoir meant to lubricate the suspension. This is present is almost all prewar Mercs, now I do not remember if it was also on the first postwar Mercs.

By the way, I did have a 1952 170VD which had the same colour but was a Diesel and sold on to Chennai. There they redid her in black and she is back in Mumbai!

I also think that for legal requirements you have to put a white number plate, which almost all of us have done anyway for our classics.

Hi Wasif, the reservoir and the pump unit are there,but it is not connected as the thin metal pipes have disintegrated. The pipes are being fabricated and should go in after they are done.

Harit, the number plate will be painted the regulation white with black numbers. Perhaps, the painter took originality to the literal sense !
I have seen your '52 170VD here in Chennai. It was not it too good a shape when I saw it here. In fact the owner of the garage where it was done up,
came to me to check for some comparison and reference with my car. It was a sort of hotchpotch restoration job that was done here, at least initially I think. I hope its gone to a good hand in Mumbai.
Regarding my E83W Ford Thames Van, It is getting restored in Bangalore. Its a unique van in the sense that, it has a small door behind the passenger door on the left side for access to a second row of seat behind the driver.
I will PM you my photosite where it is posted in a semi restored state. Please send me pictures of yours too as it may help me in my restoration.
Since you also have an E83w please see the UK E83W site I had mentioned. It is pretty interesting and worth a look.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 09:40   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,618
Thanked: 8,037 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And I thought that I had the only Fordson left in India.
Dont you remember the Mysore military prepared Fordson in Pune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Harit, the number plate will be painted the regulation white with black numbers. Perhaps, the painter took originality to the literal sense !
That's a shame, the black plates look so much better. I haven't changed the ones on my vehicles, so far I've gotten away with it. A respected gent in the vintage car circle told me that evetually there was a supreme court ruling that said you cannot enfore change of colours on already registered vehicles. I noticed 10-15% of cars in Hyderabad sported black plates. Worldwide classic cars are exempt from these changes. I wonder who we have to approach to get our cars exempted. Suggestions anyone?

And leave that centre light, I like it! Sorry Harit 'Uncle'.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 10:24   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Congrats on a lovely restoration. Like your Jeep this one too reflects your taste and attention to detail. The end result speaks volumes.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 10:30   #26
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,618
Thanked: 8,037 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I dont know Karl. These 170-vs came with Fiat-esque ashtrays. But knowing your keen eye about Fiats, i dare say you are wrong.

If this is indeed a Fiat ashtray (it certainly looks similar) then its at least a good match like the hub caps.
Well Im definitely open to correction, you are the Merc man, not me. I do think it looks like the 'patla' ash tray offered exclusively on 54-56 1100-103s.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2009, 16:36   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Dont you remember the Mysore military prepared Fordson in Pune?

That's a shame, the black plates look so much better. I haven't changed the ones on my vehicles, so far I've gotten away with it. A respected gent in the vintage car circle told me that evetually there was a supreme court ruling that said you cannot enfore change of colours on already registered vehicles. I noticed 10-15% of cars in Hyderabad sported black plates. Worldwide classic cars are exempt from these changes. I wonder who we have to approach to get our cars exempted. Suggestions anyone?

And leave that centre light, I like it! Sorry Harit 'Uncle'.
Uncle Harit replies:
Yes, the military Fordson from Mysore now in Pune is there, but I was referring more to these "Thames" type of Vans. Also, there may be some Fordson tractors lying around. Somehow nobody seems to have started collecting tractors.

I too like the centre light, but that was not my point. It should suit. On one hand you want originality upto the colour of the number plate, on the other hand you want that "monster" of a light left as it is. Let me explain. This 170V is a relatively small car. If you check on cars which have such big spot lights, you will see that the headlight is always bigger. Here, the spotlight and headlights are almost the same size. At least appear to be. On big Mercs they suit. This car is a bit narrow, like a miniature. So the spotlight should be smaller. And Bosch made them. Already horns are added extra.
Also, the glass is very vulnerable, if it gets damaged where will you go looking for another?

By the way, I find that focusing original number numbers and plates does not make so much sense. In UK there is an industry where numbers are traded, adding to the expense of a car. They have special series SV which they issue for newly imported cars to give it the period feel. And if you do not have a period number you do lose some value on the car. Quite silly. In Germany for example you get special number plates with an H added, definitely not original but surely tax saving as a historical vehicle. Anyway, pre 1945 number plates are anyway out of service, you see such plates only on cars in Museums. So many cars in India are now on computer numbering system. Many cars in India with original numbers should have single alphabets followed by upto 4 numbers, we even had BOM Z 1234. Now totally obsolete.

The above is just my opinion.
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 11:17   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,618
Thanked: 8,037 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I too like the centre light, but that was not my point.
Your point was clearly understood, valid and appreceated. I just thought it looked cool.

Quote:
By the way, I find that focusing original number numbers and plates does not make so much sense.
Uncle, on this point, (like certain others in the past) we have to agree to disagree.

Awaiting pics of your Fordson van. Can you also give us some history on it?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2009, 20:24   #29
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What a beautiful Mercedes! Great choice of colour. Congratulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Congrats on a lovely restoration. Like your Jeep this one too reflects your taste and attention to detail. The end result speaks volumes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I dont know Karl. These 170-vs came with Fiat-esque ashtrays. But knowing your keen eye about Fiats, i dare say you are wrong.

If this is indeed a Fiat ashtray (it certainly looks similar) then its at least a good match like the hub caps.
Thanks GTO and DKG, for your appreciation.

V-16, the ashtray is not a Fiat's ashtray. The Fiats ashtray has a curve.
This is a straight fit. Picked it up in the second hand market. Fits well and is a good match.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2009, 13:06   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,618
Thanked: 8,037 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
V-16, the ashtray is not a Fiat's ashtray. The Fiats ashtray has a curve.
This is a straight fit. Picked it up in the second hand market. Fits well and is a good match.
Im pretty sure it is a unit from 54-56 Millecento. They were slimmer, and as you say, flat.

1955 Fiat Millecento - Steeroid's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

It still looks period and fits right in, so no sweat.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prewar Jaguars in India terry mcgrath Pre-War 114 9th June 2013 01:06
Seeing a classic first time 1938 Morris 8 muneemmk Pre-War 16 9th May 2010 19:36
Calcutta-1938 Dodge Ambulance-restoration john a milne Pre-War 20 5th August 2009 10:22
Pics : Mercedes 170 S khaadu75 Pre-War 17 7th March 2005 16:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks