Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 10:17   #16
BHPian
 
TractionAvant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: pune
Posts: 189
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Many years ago I had seen an Adler roadster amid a collection of cars slowly going to earth near my house. It was red and in quite bad condition.. There were other interesting cars as well. A ford-A, citroen traction (without engine), a chrysler tourer (which subsequently dissapeared), triumpf mayflower, an old dodge brothers come to mind. The plot is rather overgrown now, cant make out what is left inside anymore and I have not ventured inside lately.

Aditya
TractionAvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 10:32   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
Many years ago I had seen an Adler roadster amid a collection of cars slowly going to earth near my house. It was red and in quite bad condition.. There were other interesting cars as well. A ford-A, citroen traction (without engine), a chrysler tourer (which subsequently dissapeared), triumpf mayflower, an old dodge brothers come to mind. The plot is rather overgrown now, cant make out what is left inside anymore and I have not ventured inside lately.

Aditya
The Adler roadster is probably the same one I posted earlier, painted white and now metallic maroon and cream. The car was red when procured Im told.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 11:02   #18
BHPian
 
TractionAvant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: pune
Posts: 189
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The Adler roadster is probably the same one I posted earlier, painted white and now metallic maroon and cream. The car was red when procured Im told.
Possible, although I vaguely recollect it had full wings/ running boards (not sure).

What I am sure of is that it was quite a large car.


By the way, I saw a similar chrysler tourer painted two tone cream at a rally at blue diamond @ 10 years ago. It was owned , if i remember correctly, by a Mr. Sable/ Sanas (?).

Aditya

Last edited by TractionAvant : 9th March 2009 at 11:07.
TractionAvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 11:40   #19
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
Possible, although I vaguely recollect it had full wings/ running boards (not sure).

What I am sure of is that it was quite a large car.


By the way, I saw a similar chrysler tourer painted two tone cream at a rally at blue diamond @ 10 years ago. It was owned , if i remember correctly, by a Mr. Sable/ Sanas (?).

Aditya
This Adler roadster is quite small, perhaps it was another car.

The cream and yellow Chrysler is a regular at the rallies, belongs to Sable who have quite a collection. Cars are worked on at their office near Swargate.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 11:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
Possible, although I vaguely recollect it had full wings/ running boards (not sure).

What I am sure of is that it was quite a large car.


By the way, I saw a similar chrysler tourer painted two tone cream at a rally at blue diamond @ 10 years ago. It was owned , if i remember correctly, by a Mr. Sable/ Sanas (?).

Aditya
Both Adler's mentioned by Karl and Aditya are different cars.
The car Karl mentions was a Pune car, I believed parsi owned. came to Mumbai to a parsi and now with Sameer.
The car mentioned by Aditya was with this collector whose Ford A was a dicky seater. I saw this car in 1982, when I went to Pune to look at cars. At that time the owner told me that the previous owners were from French Motors. This car was definitely bigger and had more body work. I think that is was a Trumpf, the car mentioned by Karl is a Trumph Jr. I believe that the Trumpf was sold about 6 years ago, no idea where she has gone.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 12:07   #21
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Both Adler's mentioned by Karl and Aditya are different cars.
The car Karl mentions was a Pune car, I believed parsi owned. came to Mumbai to a parsi and now with Sameer.
The car mentioned by Aditya was with this collector whose Ford A was a dicky seater. I saw this car in 1982, when I went to Pune to look at cars. At that time the owner told me that the previous owners were from French Motors. This car was definitely bigger and had more body work. I think that is was a Trumpf, the car mentioned by Karl is a Trumph Jr. I believe that the Trumpf was sold about 6 years ago, no idea where she has gone.
So Aditya is talking about the junks at Prabhat road. I did see the Mayflower and Ford till a couple of years ago, the Mayflower is now sold. Many pictures I have put elsewhere. I never saw the Adler, Citroen, Chrysler over there so assumed it wasnt the same. A very pretty cut door Austin still lies there near the Ford. A Bedford van and early Herald are scrapped Im told. I think a nice Dolphin is still there. There were also 2 Flying Standards and some Austins.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 12:18   #22
BHPian
 
TractionAvant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: pune
Posts: 189
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
So Aditya is talking about the junks at Prabhat road. I did see the Mayflower and Ford till a couple of years ago, the Mayflower is now sold. Many pictures I have put elsewhere. I never saw the Adler, Citroen, Chrysler over there so assumed it wasnt the same. A very pretty cut door Austin still lies there near the Ford. A Bedford van and early Herald are scrapped Im told. I think a nice Dolphin is still there. There were also 2 Flying Standards and some Austins.
Yes, I am talking about the cars at the corner of prabhat road & what is now a joggers park. I visited the plot in the early 90's. The ford & a green over black austin were in running condition in those days.

Aditya
TractionAvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 10:26   #23
BHPian
 
vintageman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 410
Thanked: 560 Times
Default

The Dharamsthala Adler
Attached Thumbnails
Adlers in India-adler.jpg  

vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 11:24   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
The Dharamsthala Adler
This Adler came from Nagpur. I visited about 2 years ago and did the rounds. I met this guy who had 2 Adlers, made one out of them and sold that to Dharamsthala. Fortunately one engine gearbox combo was left over, I got that.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 22:46   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,530
Thanked: 4,688 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This Adler came from Nagpur. I visited about 2 years ago and did the rounds. I met this guy who had 2 Adlers, made one out of them and sold that to Dharamsthala. Fortunately one engine gearbox combo was left over, I got that.
There was another Adler (1938) in Nagpur that I have photographed very well(incl. the dash) more than a decade back. That car is not seen these days. Since these are analog images I will get them scanned for posting.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 19:07   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,530
Thanked: 4,688 Times
Default

Here are scanned pictures of the Adler from 1996.
Adlers in India-adler1937.jpg

Adlers in India-adlerdash.jpg

Adlers in India-1996ral.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 19:10   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Here are scanned pictures of the Adler from 1996.
Attachment 113626

Attachment 113627

Attachment 113628
Looks a little odd without the running boards and those modern seats.

Can you share more pictures of the 1996 event?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 19:21   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

These Adlers didn't come with running boards.

The seats are obviously not original and so is the steering wheel. The dash has also been altered. There should only be one gauge in the middle. The gas gauge was built into this and was mechanical, connected by a wire to the float in the scuttle mounted tank.

Also these cars faetures a steering lock cum ignition switch.

Very modern for a car of its age.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 11:28   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Hi Harit.

Dying to see pics of your Adlers as promised by you.

Please do post them.

Wasif
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 12:46   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,621
Thanked: 8,048 Times
Default

What appears to be an Adler in Hyderabad. Am I right?

Forgotten Automobiles on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Name:  2474970003_ff40d81f12_o.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  116.1 KB
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW India ,Skoda India & Audi India email address? Dose The Indian Car Scene 3 25th July 2009 09:04
Skoda to assemble Passat, Audi in India & 'Ford to build diesel engine plant in India rangaraj The Indian Car Scene 9 16th November 2006 09:15
Hi from CAR India,BIKE India and XBHP BunnyPunia Introduce yourself 25 6th September 2005 01:33
CAR India and BIKE India magazine launched !!! Dippy The Indian Car Scene 38 25th July 2005 12:32
Airtel One India Challenge- India's richest rally ever! Rtech Indian Motorsport 15 21st April 2005 17:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks