Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 22nd August 2009, 02:37   #16
BHPian

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"

Can't say this is such a great looking Rolls, but will be most interested to see what price it goes for.

My Grandson Akim & I attended RM Auctions 2002 Phoenix Arizona Auction. The one day Auction saw 120 cars go under the hammer for over us$18 million. Three $1-2.5 million. Was quite an experience.

If you want to see the very best cars in the world with very detailed write ups,
log onto RM Auctions. They are located about 150 miles from Toronto in a very small town in the middle of nowhere but the very heart of the vintage and classic car industry.

We also visited the Henry Ford Museum in Deerfield, Michigan and saw some great cars, the most impressive the Bugatti Royal, what a monster! Akim slipped into the booth and i took his photo sitting on the running board. Will try and find the photo.
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 09:35   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Can't say this is such a great looking Rolls, but will be most interested to see what price it goes for.
I quite agree John. I never thought much of the Rajkot RR's looks or the colour combination

My personal favourite amongst the RR's that came to India is the barker bodied boatailed Rolls P1. Can't remember which Maharajah. I think the car is also popularly known as the tiger hunting car. Apart from this there's a gurney nutting PII continental which is also a stunning RR and last but not the least Momen's green RR 25/30. They are my favourite amongst RR's

Last edited by DKG : 22nd August 2009 at 09:38.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 18:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Do check out this website which lists all the cars that are being sold from "the Rolls Royce Museum" of Germany. Apart from the Star ther are a few others with an Indian connection in this lot.

www.rolls-roycemuseum.de
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The one history I know about the Royale is that only 6 were made - all in different body styles. And it has a 100% surviving rate. All 6 still exist.
there is a "seventh" royale, i have seen it. its a replica of the Esders roadster, using mostly original royale parts. the parts were available because originally 25 royales were planned, and parts were produced accordingly. apart from this, i have seen the park ward saloon and ettore' own coupe napoleon, they are all a part of the schlumpf collection in mulhouse, France.
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 09:35   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
there is a "seventh" royale, i have seen it. its a replica of the Esders roadster, using mostly original royale parts. the parts were available because originally 25 royales were planned, and parts were produced accordingly. apart from this, i have seen the park ward saloon and ettore' own coupe napoleon, they are all a part of the schlumpf collection in mulhouse, France.
Royale engine blocks also powered French railways, converted to run on diesel. I think the replica car had one of these engines, reconverted to petrol.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 17:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have pics of the gathering of all six Royals at Pebble Beach. Don't remember the year but this was the only time that all six of these cars came together. If anyone is interested I can scan & upload these pics.
Old 24th August 2009, 17:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I have pics of the gathering of all six Royals at Pebble Beach. Don't remember the year but this was the only time that all six of these cars came together. If anyone is interested I can scan & upload these pics.
I guess any diehard Mercedes lover would be very much interested in this. Please post at your leisure sir.
67Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 18:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Default Royale gyan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
Thats interesting. Jay Leno has a Type 57 Atlantic which he admits is made out of Type 57 parts, not a factory car. Nice way to put together one's own Bugatti assembly project!

Quote:
Are you sure? I remember seeing a Pebble Beach pic (was it 2008?) where a collection of Type 57s came along and were photographed inline. But never heard of any with a gathering of Royales.

Just for info, in the 2007 Goodwoood Festival of Speed, 5 of 6 Royales got together. The Coupe de Ville Binder, The Cabriolet Weinberger, the Limousine Park Ward, The Kellner and the Coupe Napoleon. Only the Berline De Voyage missed the meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
I guess any diehard Mercedes lover would be very much interested in this. Please post at your leisure sir.
Err, why would a diehard Mercedes Lover be interested in a collection of Bugattis?
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 18:26   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Are you sure? I remember seeing a Pebble Beach pic (was it 2008?) where a collection of Type 57s came along and were photographed inline. But never heard of any with a gathering of Royales.
All Royales did get together at Pebble Beach somewhere in the 90s. A truly impressive spectacle, wonder if it will ever happen again. Incidentally the VW group owned 2 Royales last that I knew. Do they still own them?
Old 25th August 2009, 10:25   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A little trivia - the first Royale had a body from a Packard. BTW Ettore Bugatti prefered Packards on account of their superior engineering and ride quality.

One other famous European fan of Packards was Enzo Ferrari who was deeply inspired by the Packard V12 engines
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 10:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if Mr Mallya sees investment potential in this. By the way, what historical significance does this have with India's history?
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 11:13   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
By the way, what historical significance does this have with India's history?
The car (Rolls Royce) was ordered new by the royal family of Rajkot.
Old 25th August 2009, 15:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi Aniket.

Will post those Royale pics shortly. They are indeed a sight.

The reason all couldnt get together in 08 was that France has declared it as a national monument and wouldn't let the car leave the country.

Also with regard to Bugattis today the cars you see are mostly cars that have been assembled from assorted parts. There are very few Bugs around that are actually fully original. Likewise for the WO Bentleys extant today.

And now whats wrong with a die hard Nerc fan to go ga ga on a Bugatti gathering ???
Old 25th August 2009, 15:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would love to see those pictures. Must be a sight indeed.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 15:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Bakar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Not sure if Mr Mallya sees investment potential in this. By the way, what historical significance does this have with India's history?
Can you substantiate the fact that Mr Mallya only invests in cars significant with India's history?

Quote:
Hi Aniket.

Will post those Royale pics shortly. They are indeed a sight.
Dying to see them. The photos will make good collectibles.

Quote:
The reason all couldnt get together in 08 was that France has declared it as a national monument and wouldn't let the car leave the country.
This is interesting. And you probably mean 07, not 08.

Quote:
And now whats wrong with a die hard Nerc fan to go ga ga on a Bugatti gathering ???
Err, nothing. Just the fact that my pea-sized hillbilly brain thinks a die hard Merc fan should be more ga ga over a MERC gathering! See? Told ya -
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote