Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 28th August 2009, 12:22   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Star of India: Some trivia around this.

This is a beautiful imposing car, safron coloured, rumoured that the colour had some religious significance. The car was taken out by a Billiam Meredith Owen, who also took out a few other cars and had founded a Museum at Stratfort upon Avon. Later on this Museum was dissolved, cars sold off. This news was in car magazines at that time.
he German doctor collect Maharaja cars, unfortunately this car was destroyed in a fire. No doubt it was restored, or revived, but how much is original we do not know. The cars size and polished aluminium make it very grand and imposing. The news item in Times of India is posted below for reference.

Star of India? Wonder who gave this title. Certainly not the Maharaja of Rajkot. Actually Star of India should refer to the veteran Star racing car which was also auctioned some time ago. As it is, there were very few Star's in India, known to me are the veteran, 2 or 3 lorries and only one car which belonged to the grandfather of a person I knew.;

About being the most expensive, we have to wait and watch. Auto Union 'D-Type' chassis '19' was to star in the Bonhams & Butterfields sale at Quail Lodge in California on August 14, 2009 where it was expected to realize in excess of $8-million. But it was withdrawn at the last moment.
But with previous estimates having placed it closer to $12 million, it stands a real chance of breaking the [COLOR=#006fb1]$12.2 million record set by the 1957 Ferrari 250 Testarossa at the RM Auction in Maranello[/COLOR] in May 2009. A picture of the Auto Union is attached for viewing pleasure. Info and pictures were sourced from Autoblog — We Obsessively Cover The Auto Industry.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
The Star of India : Rajkot's Rolls Royce. EDIT: Coming home after 42yrs!-star-india.jpg  

The Star of India : Rajkot's Rolls Royce. EDIT: Coming home after 42yrs!-2aunion.jpg  

The Star of India : Rajkot's Rolls Royce. EDIT: Coming home after 42yrs!-3aunion.jpg  

harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:33   #32
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Auto Union 'D-Type' chassis '19'

Harit there is a video of this car being started. What an unbelievable sound that engine makes. I think it has a V16 engine.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pics of this car. It is from Rolls-Royce Museum who also have another car from India.The "Star of India" is described as below.

The Star of India"

Affectionately known as The Star of India this magnificent Phantom II's name is an epigraph dating back to the days when one of the world's most valuable precious stones was a symbol in India's national flag. That, of course, was the 563 carat star sapphire Star of India and the era was when the Sovereign of the United Kingdom was Emperor of India, too. Built to the requirements of the Indian state of Rajkot the Phantom II boasts a lot of exciting features. H.H. The Thakore Saheb Bahadur Maharajah of Rajkot, on whose behalf the order was forwarded, surely was one of Thrupp & Maberly's most demanding customers. The Indian Prince's coat of arms and his motto were applied to doors and sidelights front and rear. A great many books contain photos of "The Star of India" and often it was subject of magazine or TV reports. Arguably this is - beside the Original Silver Ghost AX 201 - the world's most famous Rolls-Royce motor car. Definitely it is one of the most valuable motor cars in the world.

BTW I just bought a copy of Nick Mason's book "into the Red" and it came with a CD with sounds of some of his amazing cars like the BRM V16 Ferrari GTO etc. Any Idea how I can share these sounds with you guys.
Attached Images

wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 13:22   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Star of India: Some trivia around this.
Thanks for sharing the article. Its the first time I'm hearing about the original registration as Rajkot State No 26.

The headlights appear to have been slightly smaller originally (in the news paper article scan), perhaps replaced now for the more imposing looking P100s.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 16:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

There was another Rolls custom made for a Maharaja. The front looked like a swan. I saw the picture on travel and living. Crazy.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 00:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
There was another Rolls custom made for a Maharaja. The front looked like a swan. I saw the picture on travel and living. Crazy.
That would be the Swan car made for Scotty Mathewson and later bought by the Nabha royal family
Old 29th August 2009, 14:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default Swan car

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Beejay, the swan car has been discussed earlier in this thread. Before reading it, even I was under the impression that the Swan car was a rolls.

Of particular interest would be posts 266, 267 and 281-283.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...ml#post1183168
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 14:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Beejay, the swan car has been discussed earlier in this thread. Before reading it, even I was under the impression that the Swan car was a rolls.

Of particular interest would be posts 266, 267 and 281-283.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...ml#post1183168
Yes. This is the same car. Thanks for the post.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 04:27   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks for sharing the article. Its the first time I'm hearing about the original registration as Rajkot State No 26.
Here is another period picture of the "Star of India" along with a Silver Ghost (?) at Rajkot
source: Unknown (maybe TBHP!!!) - source of original on photo
Name:  Rajkot SG PII Period.JPG
Views: 8067
Size:  79.1 KB

I would doubt that one of the "primary" state cars would be "No.26" though! That number would probably be relegated to the staff fleet!

There is a picture on pg 301 of "Autos of the Maharajas" - maybe someone with sharper eyesight can confirm "No.26" - it does look plausible!
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 12:12   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is another period picture of the "Star of India" along with a Silver Ghost (?) at Rajkot
source: Unknown (maybe TBHP!!!) - source of original on photo
Attachment 182071

I would doubt that one of the "primary" state cars would be "No.26" though! That number would probably be relegated to the staff fleet!

There is a picture on pg 301 of "Autos of the Maharajas" - maybe someone with sharper eyesight can confirm "No.26" - it does look plausible!
Nice picture!
I too had a look under magnification, yes No 26 could be possible. I wonder if really the beter cars had to be nearer to No 1, I would guess that the numbering followed a chronological order in the sequence of aquisition. Otherwise tha numbers would have to be continuously shuffled.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 30th August 2009 at 12:14.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 23:51   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Nice picture!
I too had a look under magnification, yes No 26 could be possible. I wonder if really the beter cars had to be nearer to No 1, I would guess that the numbering followed a chronological order in the sequence of aquisition. Otherwise tha numbers would have to be continuously shuffled.

Cheers harit
harit bhai, perhaps they were numbered according to preference? my lagonda was Jodhpur No. 7, considering that it was acquired in late 1940 or early 1941, that has to be the case, because the jodhpur garages would have gone through hundreds of cars by then.
awini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 12:39   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
harit bhai, perhaps they were numbered according to preference? my lagonda was Jodhpur No. 7, considering that it was acquired in late 1940 or early 1941, that has to be the case, because the jodhpur garages would have gone through hundreds of cars by then.
Indeed most royal registrations didn't follow a normal sequence. For example Jodhpur No. 4 is a 1947 Packard Clipper (recently shown at Cartier), while the Delahaye was Jodhpur No. 34. THe 1947 Buick cabrio is Jodhpur No. 27, the Windover's Rolls is Jodhpur No. 1, an old photo of a Silver Ghost reads Jodhpur No. 2. The 1935 Rolls P2 Continental reads Jodhpur No. 5.

Another older Rolls Windover's limo also reads Johpur. No 27, the same plate as the Buick. Go figure.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 16:33   #43
BHPian

Is their going to be any Indian bidder to buy "Star of India" ??
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 17:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Not sure will not know untill the auction is over. What I do know is that if you have the money you can bid on this if you so desire.
Old 6th September 2009, 03:47   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Indeed most royal registrations didn't follow a normal sequence. For example Jodhpur No. 4 is a 1947 Packard Clipper (recently shown at Cartier), while the Delahaye was Jodhpur No. 34. THe 1947 Buick cabrio is Jodhpur No. 27, the Windover's Rolls is Jodhpur No. 1, an old photo of a Silver Ghost reads Jodhpur No. 2. The 1935 Rolls P2 Continental reads Jodhpur No. 5.

Another older Rolls Windover's limo also reads Johpur. No 27, the same plate as the Buick. Go figure.
My understanding (and that is all it is!) is that the primary cars used by the Maharaja and his immediate family had numbers like XXX State No.1, No.2 etc. Some states also had "P" (for Maharaja's Personal vs the "State" cars)

Larger numbers were relegated to other cars in the fleet - which obviously meant plates would be moved around different cars.

Maybe similar to the "Air Force One" - any aircraft the U.S. President is flying in automatically adopts the Air Force One code name (or "Marine One" if he is flying a Marines Chopper)

That being said, I have heard that Mysore used sequential numbers depending on when the car was bought - hence we have a Bentley "Mysore No. 53" and a key chain that identifies it as such ???

Last edited by travancore : 6th September 2009 at 03:49.
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote