Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 19th September 2009, 16:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default The Bugatti Royals

Hi Aniket.

I finally got about installing my scanner and here is a scan of that historic picture showing all six Bugatti Royals together at one place.

This was the first and last time all these cars were ever in one place at the same time. Not even at the factory did this ever happen
Attached Thumbnails
The Star of India : Rajkot's Rolls Royce. EDIT: Coming home after 42yrs!-royal-gathering-pebble-beach.jpg  

wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 16:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Aniket.

I finally got about installing my scanner and here is a scan of that historic picture showing all six Bugatti Royals together at one place.

This was the first and last time all these cars were ever in one place at the same time. Not even at the factory did this ever happen
All I can say is "WOW"! This photo makes an amazing collectible. Just hope to lay my hands on a higher resolution version.

BTW, can you specify which year was this? Will look for a report or some such.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 16:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

It was in 1985. The pictures are from an old issue of Automobile Quarterly. I will add more in a few days
Old 20th September 2009, 00:31   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Indeed most royal registrations didn't follow a normal sequence. For example Jodhpur No. 4 is a 1947 Packard Clipper (recently shown at Cartier), while the Delahaye was Jodhpur No. 34. THe 1947 Buick cabrio is Jodhpur No. 27, the Windover's Rolls is Jodhpur No. 1, an old photo of a Silver Ghost reads Jodhpur No. 2. The 1935 Rolls P2 Continental reads Jodhpur No. 5.

Another older Rolls Windover's limo also reads Johpur. No 27, the same plate as the Buick. Go figure.
I have another theory, but nothing to back this up. Royal families had many members, so the main Raja got the first numbers, the second rank fellow got the next lot etc. So the Raja, if he had 5 cars, and the last was a Ford A used to buy milk, then the second fellow got number 6 which he would put on HIS primary car, maybe another Rolls. In that case the Ford would have a number before the Rolls. Plausible, but there is no backup for this theory. Nothing better to do at midnight but speculate on Maharaja cars registration numbers.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 11:18   #50
Team-BHP Support

So all doubts and theories put to rest, the car will come home!

Rajkot's royal heritage Rolls home after 42 years - The Times of India

Certainly not broken any price barriers, but I am really thrilled to know the car is coming home, and that too to the same family.

If only she could come in time for Cartier...
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 12:08   #51
BANNED

3.2 Crores?? Thats it?? What happened to that crazy price tag it had??
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 14:24   #52
BHPian

Its really great to hear that 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II - Star Of India is coming back to India after long 42 years in Germany.
Hope this very much popular car STAR will now remain forever in India as it is now bought back by Ex-Prince of Rajkot, Mandhatasinh Jadeja to gift it to his father on occasion of his 75th birthday on 29th November 2010.
Here is the another link regarding this from TBHP:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post2151186 (Classic Rolls Royces in India)
Here is the news from DNA:
Rajkot prince brings ‘Star of India’ home - India - DNA
(Hope we will be able to see this crowning glory of India )

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 24th November 2010 at 14:28.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 14:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Great news.

Are they having to pay the usual import tariff or has it been waived, which it should, considering this is Indian heritage being brought back.

Rather similar to old Tipu's Sword ...wonder what happened of it
Old 24th November 2010, 14:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

3.2 Crores is pretty much the cost of a new RR, if customized. If it is actually coming at this price, it is a very good deal.

But yes, it is a proud moment for India since we are getting back a part of our legacy.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 16:47   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
3.2 Crores?? Thats it?? What happened to that crazy price tag it had??
It was just hype. I don't think anyone who knows anything about historic Rolls Royces or the great auction cars fell for it in the very least.

Nice car, but certainly nowhere near a record breaker.

Last edited by Advocatus : 24th November 2010 at 16:50.
Advocatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 17:13   #56
BHPian

Default 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II "The Star Of India" back in India !!!

Here is an article published regarding this news in today's Mumbai edition of Times Of India:
The pic of STAR attached is from RM Auctions website.
Attached Thumbnails
The Star of India : Rajkot's Rolls Royce. EDIT: Coming home after 42yrs!-dsc04385.jpg  

The Star of India : Rajkot's Rolls Royce. EDIT: Coming home after 42yrs!-1934_rollsroyce_phantomiistarofindia1.jpg  

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 24th November 2010 at 17:15.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 17:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

What is important to observe is does this set a new precedent for Vintage and Classic car imports? As far as my understanding goes I was under the impression that one could not import any car older than 3yrs. Does that mean that we can now import 50's classics like 190SL's etc? It would also be worthwile to observe on what price will the final duty be levied.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 18:20   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
What is important to observe is does this set a new precedent for Vintage and Classic car imports? As far as my understanding goes I was under the impression that one could not import any car older than 3yrs. Does that mean that we can now import 50's classics like 190SL's etc? It would also be worthwile to observe on what price will the final duty be levied.
you can import a classic provided you can prove that its a family hierloom. Only one car maximum can be imported
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 20:05   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
you can import a classic provided you can prove that its a family hierloom. Only one car maximum can be imported
Can you please specify from where you got this info?
As far a my info according to present rules you can import any RHD vehicle to INDIA after paying the necessary duties.There is no special rules for family heirloom ,actually you can export a vintage car if you can prove it is a family heirloom and that too only a single car
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 23:47   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Bugatti Royale

Intresting Picture..But do you know there are 7 Bugatti Royale's one is still in Chassis Form with an original engine in the French Motor Museum in Mulhouse which was orignally the Schlumph Museum

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Aniket.

kasli is offline   Reply With Quote