Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 9th October 2009, 23:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
Can some please confirm if new boxed MB/GPW's where sold in India before the war ended? I have heard army selling them after '45.
Yes they were sold this way. In fact as late as the early 2000s there were complete boxed engines with teh army store in Pune.

I recollect a friend getting his hands on one with much difficulty I might add.

Interesting to hear if they still have any in stock.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 08:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
Can some please confirm if new boxed MB/GPW's where sold in India before the war ended? I have heard army selling them after '45.
Yes, I know of these engines being sold at the 'Junna Bazaar', in andheri, Jogeshwari?, in Bombay, as recently as maybe 10 yrs. ago. Unfortunately, I never got one!

tipu,
tipu taheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 22:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Yes they were sold this way. In fact as late as the early 2000s there were complete boxed engines with teh army store in Pune.

I recollect a friend getting his hands on one with much difficulty I might add.

Interesting to hear if they still have any in stock.
hmm.. been hearing about pune being a hub for WWII Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipu taheer View Post
Yes, I know of these engines being sold at the 'Junna Bazaar', in andheri, Jogeshwari?, in Bombay, as recently as maybe 10 yrs. ago. Unfortunately, I never got one!

tipu,
Now that will be a great score
mathewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 00:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks!!

This thread is proving to be a great help in enhancing my knowledge about the WW jeeps. Thanks to all of you. I am planning to acquire one for myself since 4-5 yrs and here in Hyderabad where there are a lot jeep enthusiasts its hard to find one original (though you have few). People out here are ok to get a high bonnet willys jeep converted into low bonnet spending more than a 50k. can anyone help me in this quest.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 12:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Hi Folks!!

This thread is proving to be a great help in enhancing my knowledge about the WW jeeps. Thanks to all of you. I am planning to acquire one for myself since 4-5 yrs and here in Hyderabad where there are a lot jeep enthusiasts its hard to find one original (though you have few). People out here are ok to get a high bonnet willys jeep converted into low bonnet spending more than a 50k. can anyone help me in this quest.
Hi Chanu,

Welcome to the crazy world of jeeps and all things jeep.... I am really happy to see an enthusiast who is patiently waiting for an original jeep. Itís rare to find people who stay away from the MOD jeeps. Infact the demand for a low bonnet is leading to the destruction of the 3b's in the process as well..

Hyderabad is a very expensive and a difficult place to buy an original jeep. The prices just dont make any sense and besides like you mentioned there are very few original jeeps left. I suggest you start looking elsewhere as well. I recently bought a 1943 Willys MB from Bhopal after a similar wait of nearly 4 years.

All the best and hope you find one soon.....

rgds
saif
Attari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 13:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
Hi Chanu,

I recently bought a 1943 Willys MB from Bhopal after a similar wait of nearly 4 years.

rgds
saif
Hey Saif,...I am yet to see you Jeep is it in Delhi/Gurgaon now.
Post some pics buddy !

My wait is still on roll out the CJ3B. Another 10 days or so I think.
Torque-ative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 13:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
Hi Chanu,

I recently bought a 1943 Willys MB from Bhopal after a similar wait of nearly 4 years.

rgds
saif
Hello Attari, congratulation on your purchase of the MB, how about some photos of the Jeep?

Regards,

Samir.
Samir Taheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 14:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks!!

Hi Chanu,

The first advice I would give you is to choose which Jeep you really want. You have got some options to choose from Based on that you will then you will to plan an approx budget. 50K on a Jeep (Unrestored) irrespective of LB or HB is a real good price. I don't think I can dream of getting one from my place anyway. Next thing is try and spread the word out through other Jeepers about your interest in acquiring a Jeep because you never know when you get lucky. Be very patient and don't jump on the first jeep you get. Take your time and ask people for advice. I am sure with little patience and little luck you will get your jeep.

Cheers
Rejo
mathewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 00:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all whole heartedly for the suggestions/response. I have to mention here that I am a die hard fan of Willys CJ3 (i guess thats the term used for a low bonnet jeep). I learnt these vehichles are used for different kinds like for Army, Medical, Postal etc so every vehicle is different from other. Cany experts tell me the excact year till these were produced and when did the high bonnet started.

Now that one thing is for sure that the Original one would cost be a bomb atleast in Hyderabad a friend of mine got a lead. He will take me to his neighbour who has a jeep for sale which in his narration reveals to be a low bonnet jeep. let me get back to you all with more and excact information. folks wish me luck.
Old 7th November 2009, 23:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Aha!! Lucky day !! I saw this beauty at a service station. The owner was not there if not I would have run a 1 hr interview. He he!!
Attached Thumbnails
MB/GPW USA Hood Number-apv1.jpg  

MB/GPW USA Hood Number-apv2.jpg  

MB/GPW USA Hood Number-apv3.jpg  

MB/GPW USA Hood Number-apv5.jpg  

Old 9th November 2009, 12:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Hey Saif,...I am yet to see you Jeep is it in Delhi/Gurgaon now.
Post some pics buddy !

My wait is still on roll out the CJ3B. Another 10 days or so I think.
Hey Navin,

Here is a picture of my MB.... will start a new post once i start restoring it. Just yesterday Pushkin and I were talking about your jeep and its progress.. Cant wait to see it at the next OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Hello Attari, congratulation on your purchase of the MB, how about some photos of the Jeep?

Regards,

Samir.
Dear Samir,

Your jeep (APR33) sure is an inspiration for when i start restoring mine. I am in the process of collecting all the parts that i need or that are missing on my jeep.

I bought the MB from a gentleman in Bhopal who has had the jeep for the last 40 years. Its a one owner jeep and in running condition. Infact when I had gone to see the jeep, our man's son had taken it for a spin with his friends I guess. It was also regularly used for their trips to the farm.

rgds
saif

Quote:
Thank you all whole heartedly for the suggestions/response. I have to mention here that I am a die hard fan of Willys CJ3 (i guess thats the term used for a low bonnet jeep). I learnt these vehichles are used for different kinds like for Army, Medical, Postal etc so every vehicle is different from other. Cany experts tell me the excact year till these were produced and when did the high bonnet started.

Now that one thing is for sure that the Original one would cost be a bomb atleast in Hyderabad a friend of mine got a lead. He will take me to his neighbour who has a jeep for sale which in his narration reveals to be a low bonnet jeep. let me get back to you all with more and excact information. folks wish me luck.
Hi Channu,

I would follow rejos advice and start planning... Let me tell you that patience is the key and never loose hope.

The CJ or the Civilian jeep has had many variants starting from the CJ2a, 3a, 3b, 5, 6 and 7. I suggest you do some research on the internet regarding the same. A good place to start would be The Jeep Spotter's Guide on The CJ3B Page

Hyderabad is full of CJ3a's but most of them are 3b's converts. You must be very careful when choosing a jeep for yourself.

rgds
saif
Old 9th November 2009, 12:15   #27
BHPian

Pic of my 1943 MB in its current condition.
Attached Images

Old 10th November 2009, 00:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks Attari for the valuable info and indeed you have a lovely jeep and eagerly waiting for the restoration post to appear, wishing you GOOD LUCK for that.

I have met the guy who has brought the jeep, he said It's a 58 model high bonnet which he got converted into a low bonnet (CJ-3A) look alike 4 yrs ago, it still has the 3 speed gear box aligned to a peugot engine. He also has the trolley for the jeep.

How about a jeep with diesel engine or to that matter a jeep converted as CJ-3A look alike as above for fun/daily commuter. I have seen many of them getting converted into ford/willys at a place here called Bhadurpura. Please comment.
Old 10th November 2009, 09:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks Attari for the valuable info and indeed you have a lovely jeep and eagerly waiting for the restoration post to appear, wishing you GOOD LUCK for that.

I have met the guy who has brought the jeep, he said It's a 58 model high bonnet which he got converted into a low bonnet (CJ-3A) look alike 4 yrs ago, it still has the 3 speed gear box aligned to a peugot engine. He also has the trolley for the jeep.

How about a jeep with diesel engine or to that matter a jeep converted as CJ-3A look alike as above for fun/daily commuter. I have seen many of them getting converted into ford/willys at a place here called Bhadurpura. Please comment.
A Jeep with a peugeot diesel in it would make a good daily driver but the hard suspension will be somethingt to keep in mind.

There were plenty of Ford ? Willys low bonnet Jepps converted to duiesel around in Hyderabad so its shouldn't be a problem findind one.

Speak to a guy called Arif Mirza near Osmania University. He was well known in conversion of cars from petrol to diesel and he might have something for you.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 19:02   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Channu,

A couple of years ago I parted with my very original CJ3a for a diesel 3a (formerly a 3b). Trust me when I say it was the biggest mistake i ever made.

A diesel jeep is more economical and practical if you dont have a decent spare car to use. BUT its something that you might not be comfortable using everyday.

My only suggestion: You must be fully aware as to what jeep you are buying. please do not hurry...If you are looking at a diesel option, I would recommend that if you buy a jeep that can be restored to original at a later date if at some point you wish to. In other words avoid the cut up ones or the imposters.....

rgds
saif