Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2009, 16:40   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Farnham, UK
Posts: 17
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
there was a MDN registered 1923 Sunbeam tourer which originally belonged to Mr.Revi Uthup husband of famous singer USHA UTHUP.this car was red in colour and was in kerala till 2008.dont know abt its current wherabouts
I've found a contact for Usha Uthup (who has a great voice) and I've asked if she knows where the car is now - you never know.
VintageSunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 02:47   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here are some pictures of Doc's 2 Sunbeams plus the Dharmasthala car, posted earlier elsewhere on the forum.

Attachment 243723
Attachment 243724
Attachment 243725
Attachment 243726

We have a fair amount of Sunbeam Talbot DHCs and some sedans, but I would think those would be post war.

Karl, are the pics of MYB 8107 and GJB 3617 of the same car?
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 10:06   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,929
Thanked: 333 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Karl, are the pics of MYB 8107 and GJB 3617 of the same car?

Boss Please take a close look at the pictures you speak of, Doc's car is a Limo and is a sedan whereas the Dharmastala car is a convertible.

They are the same in terms of model but differnt bodystyles.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 13:19   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Boss Please take a close look at the pictures you speak of, Doc's car is a Limo and is a sedan whereas the Dharmastala car is a convertible.

They are the same in terms of model but differnt bodystyles.


Yes Sir i know that they are different body styles.My question was wheather they are the same model or not because if you look closely at the grill of Doc's car you see that it has thin fins where as the other car has thick fins.

The other thing i noticed is that Doc's car have some french headlamps on them probably marshall but see the other car it has different head lamps.

One more observation made is that the side lamps on the fender of both the cars don't match as well.

That was the reason for asking the question if they are the same car (in terms of model ) or not.The thing is one car is original and the other one has some changes.Now the thing is that in 1920 sunbeam merged with the French company Automobiles Darracq S.A. So i think the Dharmasthala car has the changes on it (subject to correction).
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 14:39   #20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Farnham, UK
Posts: 17
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Dr Ravi's car is a standard Sunbeam Limousine body, the other car is a Brooks body. Brooks might well have changed the radiator slats as part of the re-styling. They are both definitely twenty-fives.

The amount of variation between cars that came off the production line next to each other can be quite surprising. They had a production line of sorts, but these cars were essentially hand-built, so don't read too much into minor variations.

Parts are a minefield - the older 25hp (like mine) came with two sorts of Claudel Hobson carb, AZP1 and the later AZP, not to be confused with the AZP on the twincam - different again. I though that there were two styles of inlet manifold on the 25hp, depending on whether you have a two-stud carb, or a four stud-carb. I managed to find a two-stud AZP1 for my car and fitted it, only to find that the air cleaner wouldn't go on - the AZP1 is slightly wider and taller, so it needs a slightly narrower air cleaner. Also it's hard to fit as the AZP1 25hp manifolds are slightly less tall than the AZP manifolds I can only get the AZP1 on by removing the studs! That's when I realised there are actually possibly four types of manifold on the 25hp depending on the number of studs and the type of carb. It may only be three as I've never seen a four stud AZP. As I said, it's a minefield. IF you ever find two identical Sunbeams, I'd almost be surprised :o)

Changing the headlights was common practice too
VintageSunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 14:42   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,929
Thanked: 333 Times
Default

Why don't you refer to post No 13 in this thread and all your questions will be answered.

Since these cars are coahbuilt, not standard manifactured cars like say the Model A Ford there will be differences in the looks and fittings on cars of the same model so to suppose one of those two has been altered would not be accurate.

Last edited by wasif : 13th December 2009 at 14:45.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 17:17   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunbeam View Post
Dr Ravi's car is a standard Sunbeam Limousine body, the other car is a Brooks body. Brooks might well have changed the radiator slats as part of the re-styling. They are both definitely twenty-fives.

The amount of variation between cars that came off the production line next to each other can be quite surprising. They had a production line of sorts, but these cars were essentially hand-built, so don't read too much into minor variations.

Parts are a minefield - the older 25hp (like mine) came with two sorts of Claudel Hobson carb, AZP1 and the later AZP, not to be confused with the AZP on the twincam - different again. I though that there were two styles of inlet manifold on the 25hp, depending on whether you have a two-stud carb, or a four stud-carb. I managed to find a two-stud AZP1 for my car and fitted it, only to find that the air cleaner wouldn't go on - the AZP1 is slightly wider and taller, so it needs a slightly narrower air cleaner. Also it's hard to fit as the AZP1 25hp manifolds are slightly less tall than the AZP manifolds I can only get the AZP1 on by removing the studs! That's when I realised there are actually possibly four types of manifold on the 25hp depending on the number of studs and the type of carb. It may only be three as I've never seen a four stud AZP. As I said, it's a minefield. IF you ever find two identical Sunbeams, I'd almost be surprised :o)

Changing the headlights was common practice too
Hey thankx for that info on the sunbeams.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Why don't you refer to post No 13 in this thread and all your questions will be answered.

Since these cars are coahbuilt, not standard manifactured cars like say the Model A Ford there will be differences in the looks and fittings on cars of the same model so to suppose one of those two has been altered would not be accurate.
Thank you sir. Vintagesunbeam gave quite abit of info in his last post which clears my questions.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 11:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default

Hi
Here is another Sunbeam in India. Unfortunately picture quality is not very good. Body is a rebuild.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 17:14   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Farnham, UK
Posts: 17
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Thanks Harit

Do you have an engine shot or the owner's details? I just can't figure out what that is! It could be a 20.9 but the wheels are earlier, so might not be. Of course, the wheels might not be original to the car. I'm very interested in this one.

Alan
VintageSunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 18:24   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunbeam View Post
Thanks Harit

Do you have an engine shot or the owner's details? I just can't figure out what that is! It could be a 20.9 but the wheels are earlier, so might not be. Of course, the wheels might not be original to the car. I'm very interested in this one.

Alan
Sorry, I do not have an engine shot. This car belongs to a private collector. And definitely not for sale, just clarifying though I feel that you did not mean to imply this.
Attached is a Sunbeam Alpine, these are not so rare, there must be 15 to 20 such cars in India.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Sunbeams in India-sunbeam-alpine.jpg  

harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 19:26   #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Farnham, UK
Posts: 17
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Harit

You are quite right, I am not interested in buying, this is just about finding out what cars exist. Some owners are very concerned about their privacy, and I completely respect this of course. If you could manage an engine shot and the chassis number (on brass plate on the engine side of the bulkhead) that would be brilliant as we could identify the car. This is probably a 25hp, same as mine.

If the owner prefers not to be identified, that's entirely their decision, but please let them know that if they ever need parts manufactured, they could check first as the STDR might already have them. Also if major parts are being manufactured, like blocks and heads, if we had contact details we could let them know in case they wanted to have one "in stock".

The club website, by the way, is Sunbeam Talbot Darracq Register - The Supreme Sunbeam, Vintage Motor Cars, Invincible Talbot, Darracq, Veteran, STD, Classic, Antique, cars

Thanks

The younger Sunbeams (great cars) are not of special interest to me, but it's good to know they too are being looked after
VintageSunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 22:59   #27
BHPian
 
Benson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 119
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

hi harit,

i guess a 1960 sunbeam alpine was up for sale 2 years back at napeansea road. any idea where she went.

regards


Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sorry, I do not have an engine shot. This car belongs to a private collector. And definitely not for sale, just clarifying though I feel that you did not mean to imply this.
Attached is a Sunbeam Alpine, these are not so rare, there must be 15 to 20 such cars in India.

Cheers harit
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 08:00   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,340
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunbeam View Post
I've found a contact for Usha Uthup (who has a great voice) and I've asked if she knows where the car is now - you never know.
as far as my info goes,it had an MDN(nilgiris) number plate,it was with a mechanic named chandran in kochi, who sold it for Rs.75000/- to one Mr.Alukal a dealer in 2003 who after a semi repair sold it to someone from North India for an atrocious Rs.600000/-.dont know who and where is the buyer.Haritji,does the name Rajesh Jain ring a bell
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 17:53   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,775
Thanked: 1,818 Times
Default Sunbeam

Taken some years ago
Attached Images
 
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 18:03   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Taken some years ago
Very nice and and glad to see that you are now very well versed with the picture uploading process. Why not also upload the black Landaulet? That is a beauty.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India X-Machine Vintage Cars & Classics in India 2664 16th January 2017 14:48
Vintage Rallies & Shows in India vintageman Vintage Cars & Classics in India 470 13th September 2016 00:37
Importing vintage car/bikes to India thunga Vintage Cars & Classics in India 27 4th May 2014 12:55
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks