Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Old 26th April 2010, 10:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is some discussion on the car:

My 1936 Lanchester convertible | Review | carsguide.com.au

"His Highness the Maharajah Ranjitsinhji, the Jamsaheb of Nawanagar, gave it to his great nephew Maharaj Durgapratapsinh on his 18th birthday in 1964. Maharaj Durgapratapsinh moved to New Zealand in 1993 at the invitation of Sir Edmund Hilary, but when his wife died about two years ago, he decided to return to India.

"To take it (the car) back with him would be a nightmare because the Indian Government would want huge taxes and duties, so he's selling it," says Sloane. Maharaj Durgapratapsinh says the car has been "a member of my family for over 70 years so it is always difficult to part with something that close".

"But I guess the last nine years it's been in museums in America, so it's time for it to find a new owner who can enjoy it as well. "I don't mind who buys it so long as they have a love for the car and look after it and maybe let me visit it some time."

That is surprising as I would have though that since it originally was from India there would be no customs or duty element involved to bring it back
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 15:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

This Month of Auto India carries a Full article on the said car. It's nice to read too. Apart from that Harit's car is also featured there.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 19:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
225,000 NZ $ is not much there would have been many takers in Mumbai for the price, but again I am not sure it can be brought back once its out.
I have been told, as good as first hand that the car is available for purchase to an Indian buyer. It's either already in the country or expected soon.

If you're interested, PM me with your details and I will get the owner to call you.
Faster789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:18   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
I have been told, as good as first hand that the car is available for purchase to an Indian buyer. It's either already in the country or expected soon. If you're interested, PM me with your details and I will get the owner to call you.
The cars is available at a price more than double the amount of the auction bid. And then one has to pay freight, get her through customs, this car will be too expensive and make a deep dent in one pocket. There was no point to put her up for auction, flop, and now try to sell privately for a ridiculous amount. No doubt the car is unique, but even one-off cars have been sold at reasonable prices.
But I really hope that this car comes back to India.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2010, 16:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The cars is available at a price more than double the amount of the auction bid. And then one has to pay freight, get her through customs, this car will be too expensive and make a deep dent in one pocket. There was no point to put her up for auction, flop, and now try to sell privately for a ridiculous amount. No doubt the car is unique, but even one-off cars have been sold at reasonable prices.
But I really hope that this car comes back to India.

Cheers harit
I think you'll find that your facts regarding price are not entirely correct. Serious offers will be considered, not fishing expeditions.

My personal opinion is that the car is over-priced and the auction was a mistake, but the fact is that the supply of cars with provenance are in short supply.

People are paying stupid amounts of money in India for things not worth half the price. It'll sell, it just needs one buyer.

This post is not meant to offend.
Faster789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 09:46   #21
Team-BHP Support

Here is another car from the same stables that I came across in a book on Maharajas, unfortunately I did not note down the name.

1936 Lanchester Maharaja of Pratapgarh-001.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 11:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Any idea what happened to this car Karl ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 18:57   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Jamnagar Lanchester

Still Exists with the Jamsaab, has a brighter blue COLOUR today
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote